Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired back haul better?

st_shaw
Master

Re: Wired back haul better?

@ekhalil wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

If Orbi is using 40 MHz channel width, then the only two non-overlapping channels are CH1 and CH11.  That's why when you use Sonosnet and Orbi in the same house, your choices are CH1 or CH11.

Correct! 

And therefore -if you have good wifi coverage from Orbi all over the house- then you can save one channel and avoid more interference by using only wireless speakers and avoid Sonosnet. 🙂

If you live in an area with numerous neighboring 2.4 GHz APs, then it may be best to use WiFi.  If not, and the channels on Orbi and Sonos are properly set, there will be no interference between the two and they will work perfectly together.  You assume there is no benefit to using Sonosnet, which is not entirely true.  First, Sonosnet is a true mesh, and can effectively cover a larger area than Orbi, if you have many Sonos devices.  Second, you can use any one of your Sonos devices as a wireless bridge for printers or other low bandwidth devices.  Last, when you set Sonos to use WiFi, the Sonos devices will use airtime that would otherwise be available to Orbi, so there is actually more "interference" when using WiFi instead of Sonosnet on non-overlapping channels.

Message 26 of 33
Shimmyhill
Aspirant

Should I use 11 even with a few neighbours seemingly on it or 6 with no one on it?

Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@Shimmyhill wrote:

Should I use 11 even with a few neighbours seemingly on it or 6 with no one on it?

Message 28 of 33
Shimmyhill
Aspirant

Having rescanned in a front room I have four people on 6 and three on 11!!

All detached but bungalows so nothing behind due to decent harden two either side and people over the road I guess.

Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Try 4 for a while, then you can test 6. If the Orbi seems to be working on 4...go with it...

@Shimmyhill wrote:

All detached but bungalows so nothing behind due to decent harden two either side and people over the road I guess.

Message 30 of 33
st_shaw
Master

@Shimmyhill wrote:

What is on CH1?

Message 31 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

His Sonos devices...

Message 32 of 33
st_shaw
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

His Sonos devices...

I meant how many APs (other than his own) are showing on CH1 in his WiFi scan.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7