Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired backhaul inconsistencies and switch problems

tmrbrts
Aspirant

Wired backhaul inconsistencies and switch problems

Firstly, apologies for the long post!

I bought an RBK23 system with router and two satellites a few months ago, primarily to provide good wifi in our garden office, via wired backhaul.  Set up went well and I managed to get one satellie connected via wired ethernet (cat5e) connection in the garden office, and the other satellite connected wirelessly elsewhere in the house.

However, I soon realised that I needed additional ethernet ports on the back of the router for other hardware, so bought a cheap switch (TP-link TL-SG1008D) to solve this issue.  Unfortunately the wired backhaul wouldn't work with this switch, so after seeing some other posts on this site I bought a Netgear GS108Ev3 switch instead, which I'd seen recommended as one that did work.  Sadly I had no joy with this switch either, so upgraded once again to a Netgear GS108Tv3 in the hope that I could disable any of the 'green' features which may be causing the issue, plus disable MIMO, Daisy Chain, IGMP snooping etc. which again I've seen recommended on this site.  But despite making all these adjustments, my satellite in the garden office wouldn't connect via ethernet when routed through a switch.

I then upgraded to an RBK50 so that I could remove the need for any switches and utilise the extra ethernet ports on the router, but despite following the same set up process I could not get the satellite to connect via wired backhaul in the garden office.  Connecting via a cable in the same room showed as a wired connection, but as soon as I moved the satellite back to the office, it would only connect wirelessly.

I then swapped back to the RBK23, using the exact same cables, and the wired connection showed up straight away.  This seemed really odd so I again tried the RBK50 a different day, but got the exact same result.  And then once again, going back to the RBK23 gave me a wired connection without any issues.

Is anyone aware of a reason why the RBK23 would connect via the ethernet cable I have running to my garden office, but the RBK50 would only connect wirelessly?  I've since returned the RBK50 and tried an Asus ZenWifi AC CT8 system instead, as that also has 4 ethernet ports, but got the same result.  The satellite would only connect wirelessly when in situ, even though connecting via a cable in the same room worked fine.

I've therefore reverted back to the RBK23, which reconnected without any issues and is currently showing as a wired connection.  I'm guessing there must be some kind of issue with my cable or RJ45 sockets, but if so I don't understand why the RBK23 connects without any problems.

My secondary question is:  if I'm stuck with the RBK23 and need to try the switch option again, can anyone confirm which recently purchased switches actually work with their Orbis?  I've obviously tried a couple which have worked for others and had no luck, so I'm running out of options!  For info, the two Netgear switches have both been returned so I only have the cheap TP-link one still in my possession, but am willing to try another one if there are any guaranteed to work.

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired backhaul inconsistencies and switch problems

Try the HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series.

Thes switches mentioned I have tested and I have seen no issues with orbi systems. Some of the newer Rev versions of the NG or D-Link switch have EEE and I believe some of the older versions may not. Though be aware that  Orbi 50 series v16 FW is last working version of FW that works with RBS ethernet connected with switches. All other FW versions after v16 causes an ARP storm for unknown reasons. So I don't recommend any version of FW after v16 until NG fixes what ever is causing these ARP storms in later FW versions. 

@tmrbrts wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Firmware was the same on both RBS and RBR: v.2.5.1.26.

Syncing on the RBK50 worked fine in the house, first wirelessly and then via temporary ethernet cable in the same room. But when moved to the garden office it would only connect wirelessly (same with the Asus). I just don't get it, when the RBK23 works every time I plug it back in.

Anyway, given that the RBK23 works ok at the moment on wired backhaul, I think my focus needs to be on finding a switch that works.

I note that the D-Link switches support EEE, so are the switches you mentioned all ones that are known to work *despite* supporting EEE? If so, it looks like I need to invest in one. Are there any switches which don't support EEE?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

RBS and RBR should be same version for each model series. 

First thing to try is to bring the RBS to near or same room as the RBR. First wirelessly sync it to the RBR. After it's fully sync wirelessly, then connect up a temp LAN cable between the RBR and RBS to be sure it's syncing correctly. 

Be sure you are connecting the RBS behind the RBR:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 5
tmrbrts
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Syncing on the RBK50 worked fine in the house, first wirelessly and then via temporary ethernet cable in the same room. But when moved to the garden office it would only connect wirelessly (same with the Asus). I just don't get it, when the RBK23 works every time I plug it back in.

Anyway, given that the RBK23 works ok at the moment on wired backhaul, I think my focus needs to be on finding a switch that works.

I note that the D-Link switches support EEE, so are the switches you mentioned all ones that are known to work *despite* supporting EEE? If so, it looks like I need to invest in one. Are there any switches which don't support EEE?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Shame you returned the RBK53.  I believe the issue is connecting the satellite through a switch, rather than directly to a port on the router.

The RBR50 has three open ethernet ports, (1) for the satellite, (1) for the switch, and (1) spare.  The RBR20 has only a single ethernet port, which is what forced the satellite connection through the switch.  No switch; no problem.

As for the Asus ZenWiFi, I would turn to the Asus forums (are there any?) for how to wire an Asus satellite to the Asus router.

It could be that you purchased "managed" switches.  Most of the advice is to use totally dumb (unmanaged) switches.  Nothing to turn off. No features to disable.

Since the satellite works when connected directly to the router, that seems to rule out issues with theCat5e cable and jacks.

If there is a need for additional ethernet ports near the router, a really oddball solution would be to install a WiFi "extender" to feed that TP-Link switch.  For example, a Netgear EX-3700 will connect to the RBR20 router over WiFi and has an ethernet jack to connect to the switch.It's $30US on Amazon.  Just plain crazy?  You bet.  "Desparate times call for desparate measures."

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series.

Thes switches mentioned I have tested and I have seen no issues with orbi systems. Some of the newer Rev versions of the NG or D-Link switch have EEE and I believe some of the older versions may not. Though be aware that  Orbi 50 series v16 FW is last working version of FW that works with RBS ethernet connected with switches. All other FW versions after v16 causes an ARP storm for unknown reasons. So I don't recommend any version of FW after v16 until NG fixes what ever is causing these ARP storms in later FW versions. 

@tmrbrts wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7