Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired backhaul of RBR50 & RBS50 directly to ISP's modem/router

EyalS
Tutor

Wired backhaul of RBR50 & RBS50 directly to ISP's modem/router

I'm trying to figure out how to configure wired backhaul.

After initial configuration, in which both devices RBR50 & RBS50 (with the latest firmware V2.1.4.16) wherein close proximity and I was able to make all the configuration work using wifi (ie, there was a connection between RBR and RBS), I changed the configuration to work with wired backhaul.

I have an ISP modem/router which is working and has its own wifi.

I've connected my  RBR50 in AP mode through the yellow internet port to one of the ports of my ISP modem/router.

The satellite is connected to a different port in the ISP modem/router. you can see the diagram of the connection here: https://imgur.com/4Hcr44e

Seems like both are connected to the internet and I can access both administration pages, using each IP address, and see the connected devices, but it seems like they are not connected to each other (I have no satellite connected in the RBR50).

1. Should it work? can there be a seamless transition between both without a connection? (apparently, it is working...)

2. What would be the proper way to make this connection? 

The diagrams at https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... do not indicate where should the modem be connected, nor where should the router be connected in AP mode.

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You need to have the ethernet from the satellite plugged directly into the main orbi router not the ISP modem. you have the modem connected correctly to the orbi router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
EyalS
Tutor

Thanks for the help.
The problem is, that as soon as I connect the satellite directly to the Orbi router, I’m loosing the internet from all the devices connected to Orbi (wired and wireless).
Is the wired backhaul really operational? I must use the wired backhaul, but it feels like it’s not mature yet.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh it's working, I just got my friends going yesterday. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Whats the mfr and model# of your ISP modem? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I would do this, disconnect ALL other devices from the router, accept for 1 wired PC. 

Add the satellite first via wireless. After it connects with a BLUE led on top, then connect a good quality LAN cable between the satellite and router. Do this with the satellite and router close. Wait 5 minutes for the system to reconfigure the new connection. Top LED should go Magenta then turn BLUE. Check internet from your wired PC thru the router. Should have internet. Then you can connect the wired PC to the back of the satellite, should have internet. If good here, then place satellite at final remote location. Power ON satellite and after connecting LAN cable there. Lan cable at remote location needs to be connected to back of Orbi router, not ISP modem. Wait for BLUE led on top. SHould go BLUE. Check internet connection with something connected to satellite here. If good, re-connect all of your other devices to the router and such. 

Message 4 of 10
EyalS
Tutor

For me, it is not working. Orbi router is set as AP. Connecting the Orbi satellite directly to the Orby Router, and the Orbi Router to the ISP modem - results in no network communication = unable to access the internet, ISP modem, and Orbi devices.

Any idea how to solve this or what am I doing wrong? I'm tired of factory resets. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

I would do this, set up the ISP modem and use it's DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Put the Orbi router in router mode. Walk thru the setup wizard. If the modem uses 192.168.1.1 then the Orbi should auto change it's same IP address to something different so it won't conflict. Look at the modems connected client list to see what IP address the Router got from the modem. Set up a IP address reservation on the modem for this IP address, then input this IP address into the DMZ. Apply changes to the modem. Reboot the modem and Orbi router. Leave the satellite disconnected for now. Check to see if you get internet thru the Orbi router in this configuration. 

Message 6 of 10
EyalS
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe3 for the detailed answer, but why?

Can't I use the Orbi device in AP mode? is this feature not working?

Configuring Orbi, in router mode will create a different subnet which will add complications, as some devices on the net connect directly to the ISP modem/router.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Just seems like a configuration issue between the modem and Orbi...Why I suggest the process to see...

Message 8 of 10
EyalS
Tutor

Just installed the latest beta - v2.2.0.66, and it's working with no other change!

Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation