Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired backhaul on 2.1.2.18 magenta LED but correct device assignments

budy
Luminary

Wired backhaul on 2.1.2.18 magenta LED but correct device assignments

Up to now, I always used the ethernet wired backhaul with the router port on my router, which runs in AP mode. This worked very well, but hat the issue, that wireless devices on the satellite were shown as connected wired to the router. Yesterday, I took a look at the wired backhaul KB article and remembered, that when I had connected the router via the first "LAN" port to my network, the LED would stay a solid magenta, which was what make me switch the ports on my router in the first place, since the LED went out and everything else worked as well.

However, since then, the assignment of wireless devices, that are connected to the satellite, have always been shown as being connected wired to the router, instead of wirelessly to the satellite. After reading the KB article about how to wired the router correctly, I can state that now the satellite's wireless clients are noted correctly as being wirelessly connected to the satellite, but…

…now the LED of the router as turned a solid magenta again for 10 hrs straight.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wired backhaul on 2.1.2.18 magenta LED but correct device assignments

Have you tried to factory reset that satellite and resync it?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
budy
Luminary

Yes, I had tried that already, because otherwise the ethernet backhaul wouldn't even come "online" in the UI, but that didn't change anything.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have had success connecting my Orbi RBK50 system to my satellite using wired ethernet on FW 2.1.2.18.  I have included a photo of my setup, which I hope you can see.  

I will describe it anyway.  There's a red cable plugged into the yellow Internet port, and beside that is a blue cable with a red collar that connects via a patch-panel to a D-Link 5 port switch in my family room where the Orbi satellite sits.  Now, when I visit the Orbi router's configuration web page, Connected Satellites shows Connection Type Wired

and the connected device show 5G against the satellite

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired back haul was flakey in v2.1.x.x, works well in v2.1.3.4. A factory reset is needed here then set up from scratch. 

Be advised there is newer v2.1.4.10 FW now for 50 series systems:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055985/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-10

Up to you if you wanna try it. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7