Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

Yayo12
Aspirant

Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

Model is the AX6000 RBK853 (I could not find it in the options above)

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk853.aspx

Hey guys

I just received my brand new Orbi mesh system and I am extremely excited about it. I have a 1Gb speed at home and I can see my wifi speed is closer to 600M with the latest Intel Wireless cards I installed on my laptops. My question is regarding the wired connection from both of my satellites. I was expecting to get closer to 1GB from the satellites, yet I am only getting around 250M.

Why is this? What can I do to troubleshoot this? I actually purchased this system in hopes of having 1GB all across my house both wifi and wired.

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

Please post about this over inthe Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Yayo12 wrote:

I just received my brand new Orbi mesh system and I am extremely excited about it. I have a 1Gb speed at home and I can see my wifi speed is closer to 600M with the latest Intel Wireless cards I installed on my laptops. My question is regarding the wired connection from both of my satellites. I was expecting to get closer to 1GB from the satellites, yet I am only getting around 250M.

Why is this? What can I do to troubleshoot this? I actually purchased this system in hopes of having 1GB all across my house both wifi and wired.

Perhaps someone watching the AX forum will have personal experience to relate.  It is unfortunate that vendors persist in describing WiFi products in terms of "maximum possible theoretical connection rates" and burying the truth in the footnotes (in tiny type).  If the router and both satellites were very close together, the 802.11ax connection rate between them might be 2,400mbs.  As the units get farther apart, the actual connection rate drops.  And, WiFi is "one person talks at a time" technology. when one satellite broadcasts, the other satellite and the router have to "back off" and wait for the channel to free up. Meanwhile, "management frames" are being issued by all three Orbi units which also consume bandwidth.

If the lapto gets 600M when connected to a satellite with WiFi, but gets only 250M when connected to the same satellite with an ethernet cable, then I think you have a valid Question.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7