Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired connection is great, but wireless is unusable several times per day. RBR50 + 2 RBS50 + 1 RBW30

grove80904
Follower

Wired connection is great, but wireless is unusable several times per day. RBR50 + 2 RBS50 + 1 RBW30

I live in a 3,800 sq ft, single-level apartment with all concrete walls.  I started out with the RBR50 + 2 RBS50 satellites purchased from Costco 2-3 years ago.  Everything worked fine.  Over time, the connection started getting spotty.  I tried to resync the satellites.  I tried troublshooting with the internet provider (fiber with 633 Mbps up and 411 Mbps down on my last wired speedtest), but the internet provider assured me that their logs showed no outages in my area for the days around my issues.  Next, I bought an RBW30 to add-on to my system thinking that there was probably a blind spot because of the concrete walls.  That seemed to help for a little while, but outages are now a daily occurance.  I tried a full reset of the whole system yesterday and that hasn't helped much.  Maybe I didn't do it in the right order?  I also updated all the satellites' firmware as well as the router's firmware to the latest versions (V2.5.1.16 and V2.5.0.4 for RBW30).  I've played with the settings, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this anymore.  Where should I start?  Placement of the satellites?  Resync them 1 at a time?  Resync in the same room and then move after resyncing or resync while they're already placed?  I imagine the concrete walls are playing a major part in my troubles, but the maximum distance from router to satellite or satellite to satellite is probably 20-30 ft.  Is that too much?  Does the RBW30 not play well with the RBR/RBS50's?  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or what to try next would be appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Wired connection is great, but wireless is unusable several times per day. RBR50 + 2 RBS50 + 1 R

@grove80904 wrote:

I live in a 3,800 sq ft, single-level apartment with all concrete walls. 

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this anymore.  Where should I start?  Placement of the satellites?  Resync them 1 at a time?  Resync in the same room and then move after resyncing or resync while they're already placed?  I imagine the concrete walls are playing a major part in my troubles, but the maximum distance from router to satellite or satellite to satellite is probably 20-30 ft.  Is that too much?  Does the RBW30 not play well with the RBR/RBS50's?  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or what to try next would be appreciated!

Placement of satellites are 30+ feet. Sometimes they have to be closer if going through a lot of walls or heavy wiring. 

If wired is good and wireless is bad, sometimes changing wireless channels helps. I had to change mine after I installed an Orbi system in his home. His 2.4Ghz WIFI was broadcasting causing interference. He was on 6, so I switched from auto to 1. 

If that doesn't help, the best thing to do is start from the beginning. Reset the router and satellites, reboot the ISP modem and do a new textbook install.

The RBW30 is fine, of course not as powerful as an RBS50. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7