Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired connections not able to connect to internet

pc_m
Aspirant

Wired connections not able to connect to internet

I have a similar problem to the one in post https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbir-will-not-connect-to-a-wired-connection/m-p/1262055#M6071

I had an Asus wi-fi router with 4 ethernet ports with one port conencted to an ethernet switch. I replaced the Asus with an Orbi RBR50 and satellite.  One wired device is connected to the satellite. Two wired devices (a NAS box and Linux box, both with static IPs) are cnnected to the Orbi router, along with a Linksys 10/100/1000 8 port ethernet switch (unmanaged). There are 5 more wired devices connected there, including an iMac, all are using DHCP, which I have 100 IPs in the pool.

All wireless devices work fine so far (new setup). However, I had a situation where several wired devices are not connecting to internet. My iMac (connected through switch to LAN port on Orbi), was not getting a DHCP address, and was ending up with self-assigned IP. I checked and the iMac is sending out DHCP requests, but there is no reponse from Orbi.  The link is up, 1Gbps, and, unlike the other thread, the MTU is 1500 on the Mac and the Orbi.

Looking at the attached devices in Orbi admin, I was seeing the wired device connected to the satellite and the NAS box, but not the LInux computer or any devices connected via the ethernet switch.

If I unplug the ethernet switch, and plug the iMac into the Orbi, it gets an IP and works fine. Next, I restored things, and put the iMac on the switch and connected the switch to the Orbi, and things continued to work for 5 days. Today, my iMac (it is on the ethernet switch) and Linux box did not connect to the internet, and I see the same issue with Orbi admin only showing 2 wired devices.

I did the same thing, direct connect of iMac to Orbi, reconnect back to ethernet switch, but it still was not connecting via wired port. I power cycled the ethernet switch and then all wired devices showed up in Orbi admin, and I could see my iMac with a DHCP address and connected fine.

I'm at a loss. It doesn't appear to be totally a DHCP issue, as the one linux box, which is directly connected to Orbi, has a static IP (outside of the DHCP pool), and it was not communicating to internet.

Tech support's suggestion was to contact Linksys about the ethernet switch, but I think that is futile because A) it worked fine before, without the Orbi's and B) it is a dumb device (no firmware, not managed, just a hardware L2 switch).

Any thoughts as to how to debug this?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If the wired device works fine directly connected to the back of the router or satellite and then connecting it to the switch fails. then it's either a bad cable between the switch and Orib or the switch is faulty. Try a different switch. 

Message 2 of 13
pc_m
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 (is brand new), and I updated FW to V2.2.1.210.

Modem is Arris Surfboard TM822R

Ethernet switch is Linksys SD2008

The problem is a bit more than a device working directly connected, and not when going through a switch. When the failure occurs, I see one device that is directly connected to the Orbi also not able to access the internet.

In the original post, during the failure I saw:

• Netgear Alro connected to satellite (and showing up as a connected device, so I guess working).
  • QNAP NAS box with static IP connected to Orbi router and working
  • iMac connected to ethernet switch, not getting DHCP address and not accessing internet. Link was up, and DHCP discovers going out, but no response.
  • Custom linux box with static IP connected to Orbi router, not able to access internet (and link was up).

I unplugged the ethernet switch and plugged the iMac into the Orbi, and both the iMac and the Linux box started working.

I moved the iMac back to the ethernet switch, and reconnected the ethernet switch to the Orbi. Power cycled the ethernet switch, and again, everything worked.

The point is that even a directly connected device, which had link up, and static IP, was unable to connect to the internet.

One other odd thing I see... In checking the logs, there are occasional DOS attacks (even when things are working). What is odd, is the IP is a LAN device (a printer and a Harmony hub for remote control of TV/etc):

[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <wireless printer>, Thursday, January 03, 2019 18:30:28

[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen] from source: 212.64.111.52, port 65101, Thursday, January 03, 2019 16:49:46

[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <wireless printer>, Thursday, January 03, 2019 15:15:28

[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <wireless printer>, Thursday, January 03, 2019 15:00:28

[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <wireless printer>, Thursday, January 03, 2019 13:45:28
[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <harmony hub>, Thursday, January 03, 2019 13:40:47

The printer has an IP reservation, and is a Brother MFC-7600CDW laser printer. The harmony hub is just using DHCP.

Starnge, but not sure if any relation to the issue at hand.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So does the system and wired devices work if you remove this switch from the system? 

This seems to be based off a old Cisco model switch which is 8 years old:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-unmanaged-switches/end_of_...

Its not listed in Linsys product line. 

Possible this switch is out of day and not fullly compatible. I would try a newer generation non managed non green ethernet switch. 

I have several switch on my system. Zero issues seen with Orbi. 

Message 4 of 13
pc_m
Aspirant

I don't know if the system will work for an extended period of time with devices directly connected to the Orbi router and satellite, as I have 8 wired devices and need several of them operational. It's not practical to get hard-wired lines over to the satellite to try to get all essential devices connected.

I do know that prior to installing the Orbi, all the wired devices, using the ethernet switch worked fine. The switch is older, but is a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch. I can puchase a new switch (any recommendations?), although I'd really like to understand the root cause before pouring money into a solution. Right now, there is only one variable (the Orbi).

Message 5 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@pc_m wrote:

....... Right now, there is only one variable (the Orbi).

It can be a comnination of HW fault in the Linksys Switch and Orbi SW (2.2.1.210). 

I noticed that a faulty wired device can affect the performance of all devices in the network. I also saw similar DoS messages like the ones you listed above from wireless devices when this fault happens.

In 2.2.1.210 much improvement was made for Ethernet backhaul and it seems that this intruduced some bugs that made Orbi sensitive to some wired devices.

I'd try another switch 🙂

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a NetGear GS105/108 or FS105/108 model switches. 

I currently use HP 1400 24port and D-Link DGS105 and 108s with my system. All work well for me. DGS are inexpensive from Amazon. 

@pc_m wrote:

I don't know if the system will work for an extended period of time with devices directly connected to the Orbi router and satellite, as I have 8 wired devices and need several of them operational. It's not practical to get hard-wired lines over to the satellite to try to get all essential devices connected.

I do know that prior to installing the Orbi, all the wired devices, using the ethernet switch worked fine. The switch is older, but is a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch. I can puchase a new switch (any recommendations?), although I'd really like to understand the root cause before pouring money into a solution. Right now, there is only one variable (the Orbi).

Message 7 of 13
pc_m
Aspirant

I ordered a Netgear GS308, which should arrive Sunday. Will see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, keep us posted. 

Mean time, connect what you can to the Orbi directly and use the satellite where applicable. 

Message 9 of 13
pc_m
Aspirant

Tough day today. On the fourth powerup and login of my iMac, I did not have wired access to internet. It worked for 4 days (previously worked for 5). Fortunately, the Netgear GS308 ethernet switch arrived today. Connected all up, in place of the Linksys, and... same thing. No access for wired devices and they were not showing up in the Orbi admin scrteen.

Next, I connected only my iMac to the ethernet switch and the switch to the Orbi router, with no other devices connected to the router and power cycled the Orbi and new ethernet switch.  The Mac had a self assigned IP and did not connect to the internet. This is the same thing I had with the Linkaya switch,

Called Netgear support. I connected the Mac (only) to the Orbi and it worked. Then, connected the iMac to the ethernet switch and the switch to the Orbi, and it now works (same kind of thing). I conneted the other 4 devices to the switch and they worked as well.  Support told me to call them if I had problems again.

After hanging up, I connected the QNAP NAS box I have, and custom LInux box.  Within a few minutes, I had lost wired device connections. I unplugged the LInux box and then wired connections came back up.

I checked the LInux box and it was stuck trying to boot up. I reset it, booted.  Connected to the ORbi (directly), and all is working again.

So, seems like maybe the Linux box (Ubuntu 18.04) is affecting the Orbi.  This box is configured with two static IP addresses (using a sub-interface), one interface is used for local-network and one is used for VPN (pport-forwarding) from the outside, using DDNS. I use this box as a file server, VPN server, SQL server, SSH server,...

I haven't conteacted Netgear yet. I want to see if it works for a week.  The questions are...

- Why would it fail after several days?

- Why would the failure/issue affect all wired devices?

- What is the issue actually?

Some devices don't get a DHCP address, all devices have link up, and the static IP devices don't have access, even though they have link up some connected through switch, some through diect connect.  And yes, all static IP devices are outside of the DHCP pool being used .2 -.100.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Sounds like this NAS was the actual culprit. I wouldn't think it would be. 

What Static IPs were you using on the NAS? 

Sounds like something on the NAS wasn't not either configured right maybe causing some conflic on the main network or there was some forum of collison. Possible IP address bad state on the NAS as well. This would effect any wired connections with the switch and Orbi. Does this NAS support IGMP procols by chance or have any form of using them? Just curious. 

If all is working after you took the NAS off line and when you put it back online before you reset it. Something in the NAS configuration as amiss, after you reset it and set up up again, seems to work however keep an eye on it. 

You might do a search for your MFr and model# NAS to see if there are any known issues with it or any configurations that could cause Wired problems. 

if your using 192.168.1.static IP address above .100 for your NAS, should be good. 

Let us know how it goes...

Message 11 of 13
pc_m
Aspirant

It's not the NAS box, it is a custom built Linux computer running Ubuntu 18.04 64bit desktop OS. This box is my VPN server, file server, SSH server, Samba server, database server, etc. and has been working fine for several years (OS updated to 18.04 from 16.04 a few months ago and always kept up to date). The NAS box I have is currently just being used for RAID backup of other systems.

The linux box in question is not running any special protocols.  It is using a static IP (ending in .230) on a class A network, that is outside of the DHCP pool (.2-.100). No other static IP devices conflict with this system - remember this is a working network that I've had up for years.

It does have two IP addresses on the network. One on a main interface and one on a sub-interface (instead of having two physical interfaces). IIRC, this was set up for VPN with one IP being port forwarded to from the WAN IP using DDNS.  The other is used for local traffic.

I'm concerned about the fact that this runs for 4-5 days before failing, which doesn't make sense if there is a configuration issue. Also, the Orbi doesn't seem to recover, once in a failed state.

I will keep monitoring this setup closely and see if/when it fails again.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Very odd for sure. Let us know how it goes. 

Possible something happening between the two adapters or the configuration there of. Something to maybe contact the support community of Ubuntu about. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7