Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired download speed getting much slower than before

seraphs
Aspirant

Wired download speed getting much slower than before

I recently noticed significant speed drop from my Orbi network. I have my RBR50 router (Firmware Version is V2.2.1.210) connected to the AT&T fiber modem. Both upload and download measured ~990Mbps from the AT&T fiber modem via a wired connection to my Macbook Pro. When I connected my Macbook Pro to the LAN port of the Orbi router, it meansured only 50Mbps downlink and ~300Mbps uplink. Using the Speedtest app from Orbi Admin page -> QoS Setup, same results. Tried power cycling, factory reset... same results.

So it's clearly a Orbi Router issue. I was able to get ~300-400Mbps uplink/downlink from my Orbi router ~2 months ago (still much slower than a direct measuremnet from my Mac, but acceptable). So the speed is getting slower and slower. Anyone experienced similar issues and aware of a fix?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: Wired download speed getting much slower than before

Do you have any wired mesh speakers (eg. Sonos) connected to Orbi?
Message 2 of 6
seraphs
Aspirant

No. The test client (Mac) is the only wired device when I performed the test as I wanted to ensure the accuracy of the results. I even tried to disable the wireless connections to my wireless devices. But the download speed is still capped at 50Mbps.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of the ISP modem/ONT? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Does AP mode exhibit the same issue? 

@seraphs wrote:

I recently noticed significant speed drop from my Orbi network. I have my RBR50 router (Firmware Version is V2.2.1.210) connected to the AT&T fiber modem. Both upload and download measured ~990Mbps from the AT&T fiber modem via a wired connection to my Macbook Pro. When I connected my Macbook Pro to the LAN port of the Orbi router, it meansured only 50Mbps downlink and ~300Mbps uplink. Using the Speedtest app from Orbi Admin page -> QoS Setup, same results. Tried power cycling, factory reset... same results.

So it's clearly a Orbi Router issue. I was able to get ~300-400Mbps uplink/downlink from my Orbi router ~2 months ago (still much slower than a direct measuremnet from my Mac, but acceptable). So the speed is getting slower and slower. Anyone experienced similar issues and aware of a fix?

Message 4 of 6
seraphs
Aspirant

The modem is AT&T Fiber modem, specifically, it's pace plc 5268ac.

In reply to your questions:

1. I have been using the Orbi as router mode from the very beginning. The ORBI port on my modem is always configured as

IP Address Type DMZplus

2. As I stated in the first message, I ran speedtest with all Wifi signals disconnected, from both modem and Orbi, to ensure I have an accurate reading. I also tried to run Orbi in AP mode as suggested, but still got similar results. 

I think it is pretty clear an Orbi issue, especially that my Orbi router worked okay previously with exactly same settings.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you modem received a FW update recently, probably not a Orbi issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7