Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired ethernet backhaul not working

wabyrd
Tutor

Wired ethernet backhaul not working

Model Number on my box lists it at RBK23 and the web setup page shows it at RBR20 and the 2 satellites as RBS 20.  Firmware is version 2.2.1.210 on the router and satellites.  Still can't get wired backhaul to work.  Did factory data reset on router and satellites.  All that did was waste 3 hours of my time.  The problem is still the same.  If I plug in the ethernet cable to a satellite, it will kill my whole network.  Even wired devices can't connect.  This is really weird to me because I have the RBR20 set up in access point mode only as I have a Linksys Dual WAN router doing my routing.  Happy to take any suggestions on what I can try to get the wired backhaul working properly.  I'm out of ideas.

I did try pairing one satellite with the cable attached directly to the RBR20 and I got a blue light for a while.  But when I moved to to where I need it and plugged it in, it gave me the magenta light and killed the network.  Waiting doesn't seem to fix the problem.  Other than the crappy backhaul problem, I like the system.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
ekhalil
Master

What other wired devices do you have connected to Orbi base stations?
Do you have any wired mesh speakers? If yeyplease test to disconnect those speakers and see if you get any improvement.
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

For wired back haul:

Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@wabyrd wrote:

Model Number on my box lists it at RBK23 and the web setup page shows it at RBR20 and the 2 satellites as RBS 20.  Firmware is version 2.2.1.210 on the router and satellites.  Still can't get wired backhaul to work.  Did factory data reset on router and satellites.  All that did was waste 3 hours of my time.  The problem is still the same.  If I plug in the ethernet cable to a satellite, it will kill my whole network.  Even wired devices can't connect.  This is really weird to me because I have the RBR20 set up in access point mode only as I have a Linksys Dual WAN router doing my routing.  Happy to take any suggestions on what I can try to get the wired backhaul working properly.  I'm out of ideas.

I did try pairing one satellite with the cable attached directly to the RBR20 and I got a blue light for a while.  But when I moved to to where I need it and plugged it in, it gave me the magenta light and killed the network.  Waiting doesn't seem to fix the problem.  Other than the crappy backhaul problem, I like the system.

Message 3 of 9
PhiloF
Tutor

After spending a day reading many post and frustrating myself, resetting the router and the satellites, I came up with a solution which I hope can work for others.... I use the RBK50 as an access point with the satellites using backhal Ethernet cables. Orbi automatic set-up would not allow the Netgear app to recognize and manage the devices nor allow me to take control of the access point. Needless to describe all the failed attempts. Just connect the satellites to the access point with ethernet cables directly on the back of the access point, the configuration tool will regognize them ( I added three of them). Once you have finished all your configuration, changed all the parameters you like, fixed IP, ect... then move the satellites to their final location. It will take a moment for the access point to recognize them, they will first appear as missing and you will see an option to remove them, DON'T! Use the rescan function on the upper side of the screen, in my case they came live, missing the pretty icon, but that is fine for me. I hope this helps some of you!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

A recommended way is to use the Orbi Base routers web page to help setup satellites using a connected PC and web browser. 

Do the following in the same room as the Orbi base router:

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE. Once this is done, do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the Orbi router. Save and apply. 

Connect all follow on satellites using the above method. 

Once all is connected and running. Place satellites in remote locations with there LAN cable connected and turn ON. 

Be sure that Daisy Chain is disabled when you have the satellites connected. 

@PhiloF wrote:

After spending a day reading many post and frustrating myself, resetting the router and the satellites, I came up with a solution which I hope can work for others.... I use the RBK50 as an access point with the satellites using backhal Ethernet cables. Orbi automatic set-up would not allow the Netgear app to recognize and manage the devices nor allow me to take control of the access point. Needless to describe all the failed attempts. Just connect the satellites to the access point with ethernet cables directly on the back of the access point, the configuration tool will regognize them ( I added three of them). Once you have finished all your configuration, changed all the parameters you like, fixed IP, ect... then move the satellites to their final location. It will take a moment for the access point to recognize them, they will first appear as missing and you will see an option to remove them, DON'T! Use the rescan function on the upper side of the screen, in my case they came live, missing the pretty icon, but that is fine for me. I hope this helps some of you!

Message 5 of 9
mpgfritze
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect one of the two sattelites of RBK23 via wired backhaul and the other one wireless? Or does this lead to some problems?

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Yes, you can have a combination of wired and wireless backhaul satellites in your Orbi network.
Message 7 of 9
mpgfritze
Aspirant

Thanks for your fast reply!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Anyone-Successfully-Using-Mixed-Wireless-and-Wired-Backhaul/td...

@mpgfritze wrote:

Is it possible to connect one of the two sattelites of RBK23 via wired backhaul and the other one wireless? Or does this lead to some problems?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7