Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired internet from satellite's ethernet ports, without wired connection bet router and satellit

Seif
Aspirant

Wired internet from satellite's ethernet ports, without wired connection bet router and satellite.

Hi,

Can I do the following?

Room 1: Modem + Orbi AC3000 router, connected via ethernet cable.

Room 2: Orbi AC3000 Satellite unit + 8-port ethernet switch + 6 multimedia devices.

Can I connect the 6 multimedia devices to the internet, with a wired ethernet connection through the satellite's ethernet ports, knowing that there will be no wired connection between room 1 and room 2? Using only the wireless connection between the Orbi router (Room 1) and the Orbi satellite (Room 2). Can this be done?

I hope someone can give me an informed advice, and thank you in advance.

Seif

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Wired internet from satellite's ethernet ports, without wired connection bet router and satellit

Yes, this is part of the functionality of Orbi.

So you want to have a wireless backhaul between Router and Satellite and will have your multimedia devices wired to the Satellite.

Nothing strange with this, as long as the Satellite is within range of the Router (arund 30 feet) for the wireless backhaul to work properly.

Message 2 of 3
DickDuke
Apprentice

What you are proposing should work just fine.

Depending on your home, you might also want to considered a wired solution though. Ideally an Ethernet cable between the router and the 8-port, but assuming that’s impractical (hence the RBK50) Ethernet over Powerline might be desirable. As WiFi speeds have improved so much over the past few years, you may not get a speed advantage using power lines, but I think that wires are still more consistently reliable.

i use both in my home. The Orbi for full home Wifi for phones, tablets, and laptops, along with a power line connection between the router and my media devices (5 port switch - 3 devices)

Allan 

Orbi RBK23 + RBW30

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7