Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired satellite keeps looking to connect wirelessly

Carl1390
Aspirant

Wired satellite keeps looking to connect wirelessly

I have a RBR50 router with 2 wireless satellites in the house. That works well. I have a CAT 5e cable to the barn for a wired satellite. Firmware up to date with v2.7.0.70. The satellite in the barn keeps latching on to a faint signal from one of the house satellites  (150' away).

Is there a way to force the barn satellite to operate just on the ethernet cable?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired satellite keeps looking to connect wirelessly

Glad  you found the problem. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS ethernet cable directly connected to the RBR from the RBS or is there a LAN network switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

What happens if you bring the RBS to the house and to the same room as the RBR, using a ethernet patch cable, directly connect it to the back of the RBR. Does it connect over wired then? 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Carl1390 wrote:

I have a RBR50 router with 2 wireless satellites in the house. That works well. I have a CAT 5e cable to the barn for a wired satellite. Firmware up to date with v2.7.0.70. The satellite in the barn keeps latching on to a faint signal from one of the house satellites  (150' away).

Is there a way to force the barn satellite to operate just on the ethernet cable?

@FURRYe38has identified the most likely issue: the ethernet pathway between house and barn.  There are generally two steps to confirm it:

• Verify that the satellite will connect over a short ethernet patch cable which runs directly between the router and satellite.
    It can take several minutes for the satellite to recognize the ethernet link and switch from WiFi to ethernet.
  • Once this is shown to work, the next step is to ensure that there is nothing amiss with the ethernet cable to the barn (such as a poor termination on one or more connectors).
    The easiest way to do this is to use a laptop that has been verified to connect directly to the router and then connect it to the ethernet cable in the barn.  Not only should it connect correctly, but the speed of the connection is another clue.  On the Orbi web interface Advanced Tab, click on "Show Statistics" and the link of the LAN port that is connected to the barn ethernet should show as "1000/FULL" indicating a gigabit connection to the laptop. (I am assuming the laptop has a gig ethernet capability).
Message 3 of 9
Carl1390
Aspirant

Thank you both for trouble shooting tips! Yes, it works perfect on its own separate patch cable. And yes I have a switch on that line. I bypassed the switch,as well, so now I’m wondering if I have a bad connection on one of the lines? Will test with the laptop!

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@Carl1390 wrote:

Thank you both for trouble shooting tips! Yes, it works perfect on its own separate patch cable. And yes I have a switch on that line. I bypassed the switch,as well, so now I’m wondering if I have a bad connection on one of the lines? Will test with the laptop!

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 9
Carl1390
Aspirant

The switch is a 5 port TP Link, model TL-SG105

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a different brand switch as well. NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Be sure to check the cabling as well. 

Message 7 of 9
Carl1390
Aspirant

Thanks again for the help! Found a connector in our cable that has pulled apart. On the road to recovery! I will definitely upgrade the switch as well!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad  you found the problem. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7