Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired speed significantly faster than WiFi

eehirsch
Guide

Wired speed significantly faster than WiFi

I have symmetrical 1gig fiber at my home, one Orbi RBR50v2 and two RBS50v2.  Backhaul is all wireless.  Latest firmware.  When connected to my satellites via ethernet I get about 600mbs up and down.  Via ethernet directly off the RBR50v2 I get about 1gig up and down.  Via wifi off the RBR or RBS I get about 400 down and 300 up no matter where I am in the house.  I have changed every setting imaginable, lowered power, moved or removed RBSs, etc.  One other data point - if I fully disable the Orbi system and shift to my ISP supplied router/modem (ATT BGW320) I get about 650mbs up and down via wifi within a reasonable range of the device (same floor or the floor above).  Wondering what's going on here and if things can be improved.  Thanks all.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired speed significantly faster than WiFi

Wired speeds will always be faster than wireless on Orbi. 

Most wifi devices max out at 400-500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC depending upon hardware design and support of the wireless device. Nature of the beast. Your getting good speeds on wireless especially through out your home. 

Message 2 of 5
eehirsch
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wired speeds will always be faster than wireless on Orbi. 

Most wifi devices max out at 400-500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC depending upon hardware design and support of the wireless device. Nature of the beast. Your getting good speeds on wireless especially through out your home. 

Thanks, I hear ya.  I felt the same until I tested the ISP supplied AT&T BGW320 which gave 650 up and down via WiFi.  I also thought it was interesting that the wireless backhaul between my RBS satellites was apparently able to deliver significantly more speed (evidenced through testing the ethernet connection via the satellites) than the actual WiFi signal from the devices.  Seeing as the AT&T device gave about 250mbs more than the orbi, I was hoping there was room to optimize, but perhaps it has faster internals, as it is a meaningfully newer device.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@eehirsch wrote:

I felt the same until I tested the ISP supplied AT&T BGW320 which gave 650 up and down via WiFi. ... Seeing as the AT&T device gave about 250mbs more than the orbi, I was hoping there was room to optimize, but perhaps it has faster internals, as it is a meaningfully newer device.

Pleae note the AT&T BGW320 is a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) system vs. your orbi which is a WiFi 5 (802.11ac)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7