Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Backhaul Status

jal69
Aspirant

Wireless Backhaul Status

I have an RBK50 (1x RBR50; 1x RBS50). Firmware 2.5.1.8.  Running Windows 10.   I have a Spectrum Internet modem feeding the RBR50.  

I've seen posts where people have commented on what their backhaul status is (good, poor, etc.). I have tried to find mine but cannot find anywhere that tells me what it is.  The App doesn't seem to tell me anything other than there is one satellite and there is a dotted line between it and the Router. [Not sure what the dotted line means either (wireless vs wired?).]  When I access the router through the browser, I see the satellite on "attached devices" but there is no IP listed, no connection type, no connected Orbi listed and the backhaul status says 'disconnected'. 

I have rebooted everything, sync'd everything, moved the RBS50 closer to the RBR50 but it never changes from "disconnected". 

Picture is the screenshot from the browser.  

Any and all help is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wireless Backhaul Status

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
Be sure FW is the same version on the RBS as the RBR.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

Yes, the dotted line means a wireless connection, solid line means the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Model E31T2V1 - did not list manufacturer; maybe Ubee?  It is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router
Be sure FW is the same version on the RBS as the RBR. - They are same

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ~3000; router and sat on same floor at opposite ends.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Distance is around 30 feet.  I've also moved it much closer but got the same reading -- disconnected -- in the browser. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Currenly 2.4GHz on 11; was on auto previously.  5GHz channel is on 48.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  There are other wireless around but much lower power levels and none on same channels as me -- as least that show up on WIFI Analyzer.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings  Already are; only fast roaming is disabled.

Try disabling the following and see:

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  Fast roam is disabled; Dasiy chain is enabled (I will check that in a bit once my wife is finished her zoom session).  Preamble is seet to "Auto" fro both 2.4 and 5G.  Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence is checked.  IPv6 is disabled. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

Yes, i updated fw awhile back. In Jan switch ISPs and did a factory reset to start fresh for router mode needed for Spectrum Modem.  

Yes, the dotted line means a wireless connection, solid line means the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR. Thanks

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Diasy chain. You may need to reboot or power cycle the RBS. Power OFF the one RBS that is appearing in the status page. I would power off the RBS that isn't appearing on the RBRs web page, bring it to the same room as the RBR and power it on and let it sync and check the status. 

Message 4 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try disabling Diasy chain. You may need to reboot or power cycle the RBS. Power OFF the one RBS that is appearing in the status page. I would power off the RBS that isn't appearing on the RBRs web page, bring it to the same room as the RBR and power it on and let it sync and check the status. 

I did that about 2 hours ago the only difference was that Dasiy Chaining is enabled. Thought that wouldn't have an impact since I only have a router and one sat.  RBS was literally across the room from the RBR.  Same status - disconnected.  I will disable Daisy Chaining and try it again in about 15 mins so I don't risk disturbing wifi. 

Message 5 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

Oh, and the Orbi app says there is one satellite but the browser (routerlogin.com) says there are no satellites. 

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, disabling Diasy Chain will cause the wifi to drop temporarily. 

If that fails, select the REMOVE button on the RBRs web page. Factory reset the one RBS that issn't appearing in the RBRs web page. After the top ring on the RBS is slowly pulsating, press the sync button on the RBR then RBS then let it sync. Check the status on the RBR. 

Message 7 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

b@FURRYe38 wrote:

If that fails, select the REMOVE button on the RBRs web page. Factory reset the one RBS that issn't appearing in the RBRs web page. After the top ring on the RBS is slowly pulsating, press the sync button on the RBR then RBS then let it sync. Check the status on the RBR. 

Disabled Dasiy Chain.- no difference.  The web page still shows disconnected. 

Removed it from the webpage and factory reset it.

I synch'd once - showed good with the lights but not in the broswer (still disconnected).

Synch'd again - magenta

Synch'd again - blue; still shows disconnected in the browser but shows a satellite in the Orbi app.  

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Same thing in a different brower? IE11, FF or Opera? 

Might try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS then try with syncing with just the one RBS. If you feel the system i working otherwise, you can run it as is...

Message 9 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

@jal69 wrote:

b@FURRYe38 wrote:

Disabled Dasiy Chain.- no difference.  The web page still shows disconnected. 

Removed it from the webpage and factory reset it.

I synch'd once - showed good with the lights but not in the broswer (still disconnected).

Synch'd again - magenta

Synch'd again - blue; still shows disconnected in the browser but shows a satellite in the Orbi app.  

Update:  I put the router back in place and connected it back up.  It sync's but it does not ever show anything on the backhaul status.  Orbi app says it is connected via 5G.  Webpage says there no satellites.  However, the TV gets signal from the satellite as it is wired to the back of it. 

Message 10 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

Same thing in MS Edge.  

Any idea what would "break" in the router or sat such that this would happen?  Seems really odd.  

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like something maybe bad on the RBR...I would try a factory reset on the RBR and the 1 RBS that doesn't appear. Setup from scratch then add the RBS. Check status. Do this while the having the RBS near the RBR...

Message 12 of 14
jal69
Aspirant

same thing in IE11; using Chrome normally

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so it's not a browser problem. Sounds like something on the RBR is not reading the status correctly on the RBS...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7