Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless Backhaul or Ethernet

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Wireless Backhaul or Ethernet

Hi team. 

I am running RBK50 on v2.1.4.16 in Router Mode.

No issues. The only problem I had in the beginning was when I tried to have an Ethernet Backhaul. I plugged the Satelitte in to a Switch that is in the Office the other end of the house (Fibre and Coms cupboard is in the centre of the house, Orbi Router is there) other WIFI access points I had in the Comms area the WIFI was some patchy down near the office that is why I thought I would go for a MESH system (rather than multiple APs).

Once I got the Ethernet Backhaul sorted by having the LAN cable between the comms room and the office  into Orbi Satelitte then my switch to one o the spare ports and I have had no drop offs, Never needed to reboot either the Orbi Router or Satelitte and it has been stable for over 2 weeks now. (It was stable before with the WIFI backhaul)

Just one question it does seem that the Orbi Satelittle has a Decent Wireless Connection back to the Router, Connecting at 1700Mbps. Is the Ethernet (Gbps) Actually slower? And better to stay with the WIFI Backhaul and drop the LAN link between the 2 rooms? Or since the number of devices run from the office the ethernet backhaul is better (2x NAS, 1x Printer, 1x iMac, Then another bedroom next door for Apple TV and PS4)

Could always go back to LAN direct to the switch and just have the Satelitte as standalone with Wifi backhaul

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

If your setup works, leave it.

The wireless backhaul throughput will always be less than Ethernet.

1. Wireless throughput is, at best, 50%-60% of the link rate, due to protocol overhead.  So, divide the 1700 Mbps by at least one half.

2. In practice you will not get a 1700 Mbps link rate, because you will have walls between router and satellite.  I've measured no more than 575 Mbps throughput across my Orbi backhaul.

3. Ethernet throughput is always ~940 Mbps.

4. Wireless is a shared medium.  If you have more than one satellite, they must share the backhaul throughput. With Ethernet, each satellite gets a dedicated 940 Mbps back to the router.

5. Ethernet has lower latency and is more stable over time. Wireless is subject to interference that you cannot control.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

1. Wireless throughput is, at best, 50%-60% of the link rate, due to protocol overhead.  So, divide the 1700 Mbps by at least one half.

2. In practice you will not get a 1700 Mbps link rate, because you will have walls between router and satellite.  I've measured no more than 575 Mbps throughput across my Orbi backhaul.

4. Wireless is a shared medium.  If you have more than one satellite, they must share the backhaul throughput. With Ethernet, each satellite gets a dedicated 940 Mbps back to the router.

5. Ethernet has lower latency and is more stable over time. Wireless is subject to interference that you cannot control.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of this swtich? Managed or Non Managed? 

@AKLGUY wrote:

Hi team. 

I am running RBK50 on v2.1.4.16 in Router Mode.

No issues. The only problem I had in the beginning was when I tried to have an Ethernet Backhaul. I plugged the Satelitte in to a Switch that is in the Office the other end of the house (Fibre and Coms cupboard is in the centre of the house, Orbi Router is there) other WIFI access points I had in the Comms area the WIFI was some patchy down near the office that is why I thought I would go for a MESH system (rather than multiple APs).

Once I got the Ethernet Backhaul sorted by having the LAN cable between the comms room and the office  into Orbi Satelitte then my switch to one o the spare ports and I have had no drop offs, Never needed to reboot either the Orbi Router or Satelitte and it has been stable for over 2 weeks now. (It was stable before with the WIFI backhaul)

Just one question it does seem that the Orbi Satelittle has a Decent Wireless Connection back to the Router, Connecting at 1700Mbps. Is the Ethernet (Gbps) Actually slower? And better to stay with the WIFI Backhaul and drop the LAN link between the 2 rooms? Or since the number of devices run from the office the ethernet backhaul is better (2x NAS, 1x Printer, 1x iMac, Then another bedroom next door for Apple TV and PS4)

Could always go back to LAN direct to the switch and just have the Satelitte as standalone with Wifi backhaul

Message 3 of 8
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

That was my thoughts as well.

That is always what I have believed, that is why I wanted the Ethernet Backhaul

But recently I heard a so called "expert" say different, at the time I thought he was full of crap as a few things didnt sound right. But it put some doubt in place.

Message 4 of 8
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Whats the Mfr and model# of this swtich? Managed or Non Managed? 

Its a basic D-Link DCS-1008A Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Unmanaged

https://www.dlink.co.nz/home-solutions/DGS-1008A-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch

I have a couple of the 5/8 port models around the house.

my set up is drawn below

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, you'll be find. I put that satellite down behind where your two 8 port switches are on my system. Working well for me on un-managed switches. Just making sure what you had. Been issues with Orbi and Managed switches. You'll be good.

Message 6 of 8
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

1) Is the Vodafone Hub in bridge mode? Also what is the model number of the Vodafone Hub?

2) Without an understanding of traffic flow and load, it is difficult to make an accurate assessment. However it looks like the Orbi Satellite is going to be overloaded by the devices on the two 8-port switches and the Wi-Fi devices.

3) Also note you have no QoS.

1) It is the Vodafone Ultra Hub.

And it is in Router Mode. I have the Orbi as a static IP and in DMZ Then all my devices behind that.
2) How will the Satellite be over loaded? It has been running fine for over 2 weeks like this.

3) How can you tell I have no QoS just by looking at my network map?

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@AKLGUY Asked a question:  "Is wireless backhaul faster than wired?"  The question was answered.

He said he has no issues, so no need to keep replying looking for solutions.  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7