Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless Network slows down to a halt  - frequently

HyperCopy
Initiate

Wireless Network slows down to a halt  - frequently

I am about to give up on Orbi and move on to Velop. After the Pixel 2 issue has been resolved, which made this system an absolut nightmare, I am now still eperiencing ntwork performance issues. The Orbi network seems to slow down to a complete standstill about every 10 to 20 minutes. After a few seconds (up to 2 minutes) it recovers by itself. The Wifi Signal isn't affected by any of this. I.e. the Wifi signal from the Orbi remains as strong as ever and the devices most of the times remain connected (or seem to remain connected?) to the Orbi's wifi. However, there doesn't seem to be any traffic passing through that network anymore, as the devices cannot load data anymore through the connection. (Webpages suddenly don't load, videos enter a buffer mode or time out, games disconnect,...) It affects ALL devices in our network (Android phones, iPads, Windows 10 PCs...)

Most of the times the network activity resumes within about 30 seconds. However, sometimes it takes a lot longer. Switching off the wifi on a mobile phone and back on again to reconnect to the wifi doesn't help. I thought it might be interference issues (though the wifi signal strength doesn't seem to be affected) and turned off one of the 2 satellites. That didn't make a difference either. I changed so many settings and tested the performance - always experiencing the same issue - that I am not sure what else to do other than replace the system with something else that hopefully works.

Any last suggestions, before I sell this Orbi to some other poor soul?

The thing is that I love the Orbi - 10 out of 15 minutes at a time.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wireless Network slows down to a halt  - frequently

What ISP modem MFr and model # is the Orbi connected too? Any router here by chance? 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? How many and what channels are they using? 

Try the following;

Set manual channel to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Set OPEN security temporarily on the router and see if the device still exhibits this issue. 

Then set WPA2 and AES only and test. 

Ensure IPv6 is disabled on the router. 

Disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roamnig and test. 

Test all of this with just the Orbi router running with out a Satellite. Then test with a Satellite connected. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7