Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless/Wired Outside Connections

BigRich911
Aspirant

Wireless/Wired Outside Connections

Hi,

I have a NightHawk with DDWRT installed on it.  It’s in the middle of my house.  I have an ethernet wire run to my back patio (backyard).  I’d like WiFi in my backyard and front yard.  I’d also like to keep using my NightHawk as the router.  What is my best option?  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you looking for external wifi device options to use with the current router? If so, You could use the Orbi in AP mode with the NH router for this. There is outdoor Orbi satellites you can add to the Orbi system. They require an Orbi base router unit though.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

The RBSY units are the outdoor satellites.

You sould need to turn OFF the wifi radios on the NH router if you used the Orbi system.

Message 2 of 4
BigRich911
Aspirant

Yes I’d like to extend my current network outside.

It would cost less if I could use my existing router as an acces point instead of installing an orbit right next to it and using that instead. Is that possible?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You'd have to look in to NG's EX series extenders. I don't know if there is an out door version though...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7