Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless broadband network and connectivity issues with Orbi

fogebotom
Aspirant

Wireless broadband network and connectivity issues with Orbi

I can fumble my way through about any electronic and computer set up.  Except this one.

We are out in the boonies and use a wireless broadband service.   Line of site to a tower with our dish on our roof.  Not a true satellite set up.   We have a been gifted with an Orbi system(RBK20W) with one satellite so far(would like to add more).   So it's a used system.   My computer will recognize the wi-fi connection but continues to say no internet connection.   There is not a true modem with this set up which means rebooting it can't happen.   I can easliy work off the exisiting cheap router they used with the install, but really need more power and reach across the house.   Any  suggestions?  

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wireless broadband network and connectivity issues with Orbi

The setup should be an ethernet cable from the WAN (yellow) etherent connection on the back of the Orbi router (RBR20) to one of the ports on that "cheap router".  You will then have two WiFi networks in the house, which most people would find confusing.

There are two steps that could be taken after the Orbi "works".

1. See if there is way to turn off that router's WiFi signal.  Many routers have actual buttons on them which control the WiFi radios.  If not, there is usually a web interface to that router (similar to the Orbi web interface) which allows control over the WiFi network.  Unlike some WiFi systems, the Orbi router is the only unit that can connect to the internet, and only with the WAN port.
  2. Step 2 is to determine if that router can be removed or placed into "bridge mode".  This often boils down to what kind of cable comes from the satellite dish to that router.  If the cable is coax (similar to cable television) rather than ethernet, then the router almost certainly has to stay.  However if the satellite feed goes into a box which converts from coax to ethernet, then that router probably can be removed.  A call to the ISP could probably clear it up quickly.
Message 2 of 4
fogebotom
Aspirant

Here's what the current set up looks like. And btw, the service provider was no help. Only felt the need to sell me a bigger router. I think I might have to use it in the AP mode.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Just for fun, I would try to plug the white ethernet cable directly into the Orbi WAN (yellow) port.

What this "looks like" is the satellite dish is a PoE (Power over Ethernet) device.  The white box is plugged into an electrical outlet and is powering the dish and the router (through the USB connection).

My guess is that the Orbi will function in both router and access point mode.  There is certainly no harm in putting it into access point mode if you want to.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7