Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wirelessly connect to router?

gadgetneo
Follower

Wirelessly connect to router?

I didn't see this option in the drop down. I have an RBR40 with one satalite. I just upgraded my home from cable to fiber...but they had to put the modem in my living room instead of my office (aka: spare bedroom). Here's the situation: the new fiber modem is also a wifi router. I have my Orbi RBR40 wifi and my satalite. I'd like for all three to work in conjunction seemlessly. I want to make sure that I have coverage throughout my house and on my back deck. Is this possible? Can I connect my Orbi to my ISP modem/router wirelessly and then have everything work under the same WiFi Network name? If this is possible, I would appreciate any help that someone can provide. I'm not a network/IT guy. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wirelessly connect to router?

No. The RBR needs to be wire connected to the ISP modem. Its recommended to disable ALL wireless on the modem and to bridge the modem if possible as having two routers on the same network can cause problems and have a double NAT condition which is not recommended. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would recommend trying Option 3 first...

@gadgetneo wrote:

I didn't see this option in the drop down. I have an RBR40 with one satalite. I just upgraded my home from cable to fiber...but they had to put the modem in my living room instead of my office (aka: spare bedroom). Here's the situation: the new fiber modem is also a wifi router. I have my Orbi RBR40 wifi and my satalite. I'd like for all three to work in conjunction seemlessly. I want to make sure that I have coverage throughout my house and on my back deck. Is this possible? Can I connect my Orbi to my ISP modem/router wirelessly and then have everything work under the same WiFi Network name? If this is possible, I would appreciate any help that someone can provide. I'm not a network/IT guy. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7