Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Woke up to non-working Orbi RBR50 day after free 30 day tech support expired.

Sycamore29
Aspirant

Woke up to non-working Orbi RBR50 day after free 30 day tech support expired.

Just want to post my displeasure. We purchased the Orbi system 1/3/2019 my registration says. It appears from this community that Netgear has been pushing out a new firmware update since late March. So on the wee hours of the morning after our free 30 day tech support expires they push out an update that causes Orbi to crash and have to be reconfigured. Why are they still pushing out an update that causes you to have to reconfigure your router all over again? When will the next firmware randomly be pushed that causes the same thing to happen? Boy do I feel like getting online and posting some negative product reviews. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Woke up to non-working Orbi RBR50 day after free 30 day tech support expired.

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Please factory reset the system and setup from scratch. After you have set it back up. Please do a backup of the configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Sycamore29 wrote:

Just want to post my displeasure. We purchased the Orbi system 1/3/2019 my registration says. It appears from this community that Netgear has been pushing out a new firmware update since late March. So on the wee hours of the morning after our free 30 day tech support expires they push out an update that causes Orbi to crash and have to be reconfigured. Why are they still pushing out an update that causes you to have to reconfigure your router all over again? When will the next firmware randomly be pushed that causes the same thing to happen? Boy do I feel like getting online and posting some negative product reviews. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Please factory reset the system and setup from scratch. After you have set it back up. Please do a backup of the configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Sycamore29 wrote:

Message 2 of 6
Sycamore29
Aspirant

Thanks Furrye38. It's Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

My son did already reconfigure the system and take care of it. So it's working now. It's just that in 25 years of owning various routers this has never happened. If this firmware has been rolling out for awhile, they need to fix the problem before continuing rollout or notify customers that they will need to reconfigure and let the customer download manually. This is so unacceptable. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya this has been a big complaint with Orbi since it first same out. Seems on gonig and NG doesn't seem to be doing much about it. Other NG model routers are more allowing to users to disable the auto update feature. Orbi, there not allowing it for some reason. Seems to be a mixed bag with some users it's working and some, isn't. 

Sounds like it's running. Besure to do a back up of the config so if a reset is needed, you can just load up the back up config from file and be up and running in a few minutes. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Sycamore29
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice Furrye38. I will do the config backup. Hopefully Netgear will make a change to Orbi in the future to allow manual updates. I realize the value of getting updates right away for security purposes. For most people it's an inconvenience to update manually but I'm the type of person who does manual updates on everything I can. I usually do them right away but I like to apply them myself so I'm aware that an update has been installed and can be aware that any bugs may be to due a software update and not my equipment going bad. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Users can do manual updates. It's just the users can't disable the Auto update feature. Ya we see various problems with auto update. Seems it works for some and not others. Would be nice to be able to disable that feature. 

Hopefully NG can get this figured out. Still on going for them I think. 

Enjoy for now. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7