Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Would you recommend Netgear ORBI?

gregerst
Aspirant

Would you recommend Netgear ORBI?

Hello All,

We will be moving into a new home next week. The home has three levels and aprox 4000 sq ft so I am thinking a mesh system would be benificial specifically RBK53 from Costco. We also have two younger children so the Circle parental controls appeal to us. However, after seeing all of the issues people are having I wondering if Orbi is the right product or not. I was also considering Linksys Velop and Google mesh product. So question is are youl happy with your purchase and would you recommend it?

TIA

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 21
tagteam
Virtuoso

My house has two levels, slightly more square footage, and I faced the same dilemna last summer - which system to buy.

I did some research (including a full review of the posts on this board) and ultimately decided to buy the RBK53 from Costco. I have not had one issue with my RBK53 system since it was set up in September, which obviously entailed multiple firmware updates.

Frankly, I don't see how you can go wrong if you purchase the RBK53 from Costco; you can always return it without limitation if you have an issue. In fact, I saved the box just out of sheer paranoia but, hopefully, won't ever have to use it.

Message 2 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Im using the 40 series system in a 5000sq ft home. 40 feet in between the router and 1 satellite. Stellar coverage, range and performance.

Message 3 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

Works pretty well RBK53 in my case. Only thing agitating is that you can’t seperate the 2.4 and 5Ghz ssids.
Message 4 of 21
tagteam
Virtuoso

@avtella wrote:
Works pretty well RBK53 in my case. Only thing agitating is that you can’t seperate the 2.4 and 5Ghz ssids.

Actually, you can but the procedure is somewhat involved.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 5 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

Yeah I saw that earlier, but was hoping for a UI option in the future.

I think what peteytesting didn’t get in that thread is there instances where this so called intelligent band steering is detrimental like when transferring files to a NAS and you get shifted to 2.4Ghz and watch the transfer time increase like 3-4 fold. This is where having separate ids works better.
Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of defeats the design of a MESH wireless system having Smart Connect and intented single SSID name and PW. 

Message 7 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

You can have mesh without band steering, I suppose band steering is ok for things like browsing the web but when you need bandwidth and it throws you down to 2.4Ghz it’s not ideal. I suppose they could keep it as it currently is at setup as that’s fine for most users but give an advanced option to disable band steering for more advanced users like Velop already does.
Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you decide to go with...I'm enjoying my CBK40 series. Smiley Very Happy

@gregerst wrote:

Hello All,

We will be moving into a new home next week. The home has three levels and aprox 4000 sq ft so I am thinking a mesh system would be benificial specifically RBK53 from Costco. We also have two younger children so the Circle parental controls appeal to us. However, after seeing all of the issues people are having I wondering if Orbi is the right product or not. I was also considering Linksys Velop and Google mesh product. So question is are youl happy with your purchase and would you recommend it?

TIA

Message 9 of 21
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I've had an ORBI RBK50 system installed in my house for over a year. My home is single story and about 3000 sq ft with concrete block construction and a stucco exterior. I also have an 4 car attached garage/shop and an outdoor living space with pool automation. I estimate the entire area covered by the ORBI at >5000 sq ft. I've had very good luck with the ORBI system. That's not to say it has been trouble-free. The initial set-up requred a bit of hassle to find the "Goldilocks" spot for the satellite and each firmware update seems to require a factory reset.

I recommend you purchase the ORBI at Costco and test it in your environment. If it doesn't meet your needs–return it and move on to another system. However, if you follow most of the hints/tips in this community, e.g., don't put the satellites too close, deconflict the 2.4 gHz & 5 gHz channels, factory reset after firmeare updates and manually configure your system, you'll find you can have a very stable, powerful WiFi system.  Good Luck!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 21
tsig
Luminary

Yes I would.  Mine has been rock solid reliable and I get my full internet speed everywhere in my house, yard and drive way.

Message 11 of 21
Dustin278
Apprentice

Yes - I have 4 total Orbi's. Bought the 3 pack from Costco and use a small RBS30 plug - I own a 3 leveI home nearly 5,000 sq ft. I have my Orbi in AP mode and have 1 Router + 3 Satellites (1 Router RBR50 on main level with 2 - RBS50 Satellite's on my upper level and my basement with 1 small plugin RBS30 in the garage) - probably overkill but has been great for me and covers my whole yard - no issues since the S8 bug was fixed many months ago.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 13 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

It’s a great unit, however depending on your home construction you may be able to get away with one router. The R7800 for example is located on the top floor in my home and I can get ~300-360 Mbps 2 floors below in the basement and around 500-560 directly one floor below. (Transfers between NAS and a laptop with Intel 9260ac card) My home is mostly drywall and wood interior which helps. If you have more concrete/granite between walls/floors then the Orbi would be a much better buy. My home is close to 3,000 Sqft.
Message 14 of 21
gregerst
Aspirant

I am glad to see the positive feedback from everyone so far. I will most likely follow the suggestions and get the kit from Costco, the fact that it's currently $70 off is definetly nice too. With Costco generous return policy I should have ample time to use it long enough to determine whether it is going to be suitable or not.

I haven't looked at the manual yet, does anybody know if it supports VLAN tagging?

Message 15 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

It does LAN side but not WAN VLAN. I assume it’s for CenturyLink?
Message 16 of 21
st_shaw
Master

I've had my RBK50 for 17 months with no issues.

Message 17 of 21
tsig
Luminary

@Bubbd

Why would the Ubiquiti AP's be better if you have ethernet cabling available?

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Mfr and model# ISP modem will your system be connected too?

Any network LAN switches in your system currently? If so, what is the Mfr and model#?

@gregerst wrote:

I am glad to see the positive feedback from everyone so far. I will most likely follow the suggestions and get the kit from Costco, the fact that it's currently $70 off is definetly nice too. With Costco generous return policy I should have ample time to use it long enough to determine whether it is going to be suitable or not.

I haven't looked at the manual yet, does anybody know if it supports VLAN tagging?

Message 19 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

I think he means better coverage with UniFi APs like the HD. Makes sense if you have Ethernet in rooms connected to a central router. Much higher bandwidth especially if you have like Gigabit internet. Also depends on home size and other factors so it’s not for everyone.
Message 20 of 21
gregerst
Aspirant

I was curious about the VLAN because it could be an added benifit for me. I am a network engineer with a large home network and lab. I typically like to keep certain devices separated such as; smart TV's, Roku's, security camera's etc, devices i don't necessarily trust, they go on their own network with internet access. But those devices do not have access to my primary home network, where i have Active Directory domain, servers, computers, mobile devices. I also have a lab network that I use for testing and study which is also separated.

Up to now I have a separate wifi AP for the unsecure devices and use firewall to separate them from other networks. But with VLAN capabilities I can eliminate that extra wifi AP. 

We use Ubiquiti HD at my work and it is pretty good, I have also used Meraki's in a mesh with around 20 - 30 AP's covering a large warehouse. Way overkill and expensive for what I need at home. I did consider the Ubiquiti Pro line with untangle but I want the Wireless and Parental controls to be easy and simple for my wife to operate from her iPhone or tablet. I am hoping the Orbi will fit the bill.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7