Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wow!!! Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

Sevo123
Apprentice

Can someone help. I tried updating but the RBS 50 and RBS 40 link that was provided in the community posts wont work. I updated the RBR 50 but that its my satalites wont update. It says no new firmware and its stuck on the firmware before this new one. Cant find any other download links online and I called netgear said they dont sent download links or firmware to customers . SMH
Message 51 of 151
Sevo123
Apprentice

Actually I talked to multiple reps @ netgear its not available anymore they pulled it. They said its was just for testing. They will release a different firmware in the next 7 days.
Message 52 of 151
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Sevo123 wrote:
@Actually I talked to multiple reps @ netgear its not available anymore they pulled it. They said its was just for testing. They will release a different firmware in the next 7 days.

Still avallable at the dropbox links originally given...interesting. Wouldn't surprise me to see new firmware in a week, though.

Message 53 of 151
Dustin278
Apprentice

Message 54 of 151
Sevo123
Apprentice

I tried the drop box link on my other orbi system only my router updated it was saying the rbs 50 file is corrupt and the rbs40 its not a actual file to download only the rbr 50 was correct. So now stuck with my rbs50 updated and all satalites still not lol.
Message 55 of 151
Dustin278
Apprentice

That's odd they all just worked for me.. you might want to try finding your individual satellite ip and doing a manual update or try to rebooting them

Message 56 of 151
Sevo123
Apprentice

Once I try the RBS 50 download its a zip file then i unzip it and select the actual file. Once I go into 192.168.1.1 and manually update my 2 satalites and select them it trys to run the update but fails. Then when I try to download from the link for the RBS 40 for my other satalite it doesn't say zip file its some other kind of file which wont let me upload. Pretty wired its been a mess with these updates.
Message 57 of 151
Dustin278
Apprentice

Yes the rbs40 is the .img file that you want to upload. Here is a way to manually enter your satellite:

You may also try pinging your network from a computer connected to the network, and lookup an arp table. On your computer, click [Start] -> [Run...] and type "cmd" and [Enter]. After that, perform "arp -a" to determine all the computing devices connected to the network. Find the IP address of satellite and then log into it just like you would the router @ 192.168.1.1. one of my satellites is 192.168.1.3 and the other is 192.168.1.5 but yours will be different I'm sure
Message 58 of 151
Sevo123
Apprentice

Oh wow! No wayy okay I will do that. Now what about the RBS 50 issue where I select my two devices which are the two satalites and I select the firmware to update them both it says there was a error or something and it cant upload the update. Im going to try to re-download that file again but I did try couple times. Okay I will get the ip and try like that as well. Thx I really appreciate your help!! Im not at my house but I will update you tomorrow well technically today later on.
Message 59 of 151
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

After my initial excitement I have to say that this is the first firmware that has ever given me an issue, at some point last night the Orbi main unit turned its pink ring on and lost connection to the Internet, no matter how many times I rebooted it it wouldn't re-connect, I was actually however able to logging into the web interface and on the Basic tab click on Internet and then "Reconnect" once I did that it's working again, I pray it stays this way otherwise I might need to revert back to the previous version.

Message 60 of 151
Dustin278
Apprentice

@Ely wrote:

After my initial excitement I have to say that this is the first firmware that has ever given me an issue, at some point last night the Orbi main unit turned its pink ring on and lost connection to the Internet, no matter how many times I rebooted it it wouldn't re-connect, I was actually however able to logging into the web interface and on the Basic tab click on Internet and then "Reconnect" once I did that it's working again, I pray it stays this way otherwise I might need to revert back to the previous version.

This also happened to me once and I uplugged and restarted my cable modem which fixed my issue.

Message 61 of 151
Hsc1102
Apprentice

I think everyone was too quick to praise this latest firmware update.  I have been experiencing nothing but issues after upgrading to the latest firmware that everyone has been praising.  My issue is that the satellites (i have 2) both constantly disconnect.  At that point i have to either manually power off/on or wait until the satellite itself reboots.  

As with all of the other firmware updates, this is causing nothing but headaches at the household.  

So much for a solution..... keep trying NETGEAR!!!!

Message 62 of 151
Hydro130
Luminary

@AmitR wrote:

... we've given you a lever to tune it. ...  If you tune Fast Roaming ...

Amit, can you please explain more about this "tunable lever" for Fast Roaming (FR)? 

I know where the Fast Roaming checkbox is in Advanced/Wireless, and I noticed a new additonal roaming-related checkbox on the Satellite Debug page, but I haven't seen anything that's "tunable"...  

When I hear that term, I think of a slider-bar or something like that, so I'm wondering if you can please provide more details about how we can tune FR to be "faster" or "slower".

I initially had the FR option checked, but then I kept dropping wifi calls as a walked around my house., so I know have it unchecked.  I haven't made any calls yet, but I'm hoping that will solve the wifi-calling drops for me.

Thank you, Amit - we appreciate your help here in the forums!!

Chris

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 63 of 151
jdpg2
Apprentice

@Hsc1102 wrote:

I think everyone was too quick to praise this latest firmware update.  I have been experiencing nothing but issues after upgrading to the latest firmware that everyone has been praising.  My issue is that the satellites (i have 2) both constantly disconnect.  At that point i have to either manually power off/on or wait until the satellite itself reboots.  

As with all of the other firmware updates, this is causing nothing but headaches at the household.  

So much for a solution..... keep trying NETGEAR!!!!

So before you call no joy on the new Firmware might i suggest you uncheck the daisy chain setting in the firmware first and give that a try?  I am assuming that before the firmware update your setup worked just fine in a hub and spoke configuration.  The issue might be with the placement of your satellites in relationship to eachother .  If you are set to daisy chain and the proximity to the base and both satellites is the same they could be getting conffused as to what the best connection point is.  I think Netgear was wrong defaulting that setting to on.

Message 64 of 151
georgengan
Star

RBR50 + RBS50 + RBS40. So far no wifi disconnection (happened daily before firmware update). (1) The satellites are now daisy-chained and it seems the wifi speed has actually picked up a bit based on five speed tests sampled different time (2) faster access to router's pages using Safari.

So far so good. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 65 of 151
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Ok after reconnecting it this morning the system has not experienced any other problems so far, I'll report if this changes.

Message 66 of 151
rhester72
Virtuoso

Probably a more-or-less useless datapoint, but I did notice that the average RTT from router to satellite on my installation dropped from ~5ms to ~4ms on OrbiOS 2.  Not huge, but unexpected (and nice).

Rodney

Message 67 of 151
madbrain
Luminary

So, still no toggle to stop unwanted firmware updates ?

Message 68 of 151

@madbrain wrote:

So, still no toggle to stop unwanted firmware updates ?

hate to tell you this but the way its done now is the norm not an exception , just got to get used to

Message 69 of 151
madbrain
Luminary

Netgear caused so many problems for me in their last firmware update that I'm not just going to accept that. Forced firmware updates are not OK. There is not even scheduling options available for the update !

I was hopeful since Netgear said they "listened to feedback" and put the transmit power option back, but apparently they haven't heard how many users have complained about the forced firmware updates.

Message 70 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'll add my voice to the need for delaying updates by some amount of time. You should not be able to stop it indefinitely, but I can go with delay it for a couple of days until a certail time/day of week.

For instance, I would never want my router to firmware update while I am away on a business trip and depending on my network connecto for access to documents. 

Also I know of no other manufacturers that don't put out a detailed change log with the new firmware. Anyone know if this is available for the 2.0 firmware?

Message 71 of 151
thebishop
Apprentice

@rhester72 wrote:

Probably a more-or-less useless datapoint, but I did notice that the average RTT from router to satellite on my installation dropped from ~5ms to ~4ms on OrbiOS 2.  Not huge, but unexpected (and nice).

Rodney

I saw the exact same thing. I got around 100Mbps better throughput, and form 5ms -> 3.5ms ping times using the same broadband test I've used since years back. Quite measureable improvement actually and nice indeed.

Message 72 of 151
rexet
Guide

I did the upgrade on both my RBR50 and RBS50 and everything seems to finaly run smoothly again. I'm happy to get my wifi back after a 2 months nightmare with Orbi.

Finger crossed...

Message 73 of 151
shoek
Tutor

Re: Wow!!! Orbi Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

I've been running it most the day now, and it seems more stable than the 1.12 version.  I will reserve judgement until I have more experience with roaming devices.

Does anyone know if the setting for daisychain is "use it if Orbi thinks it needs it", or is it "use it no matter what"?  In other words, I have my Router on the main floor center of house, Sat1 on Upper floor east end of house, and Sat2 in basement on west end of house.  So, a star config is best for me I assume... so if the daisychain setting is on, will Orbi always try to arrange as Orbi-SatX-SatY?  Or will it be smart about it?

How can you tell what the topology is?  On the Attached Devices page, if it was doing daisychain, would the Connected Orbi of one of the satellites be another satellite?  Mine are both showing the router, so I guess it is using star topology?

Message 74 of 151
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Wow!!! Orbi Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

@shoek wrote:

Does anyone know if the setting for daisychain is "use it if Orbi thinks it needs it", or is it "use it no matter what"?  In other words, I have my Router on the main floor center of house, Sat1 on Upper floor east end of house, and Sat2 in basement on west end of house.  So, a star config is best for me I assume... so if the daisychain setting is on, will Orbi always try to arrange as Orbi-SatX-SatY?  Or will it be smart about it?

How can you tell what the topology is?  On the Attached Devices page, if it was doing daisychain, would the Connected Orbi of one of the satellites be another satellite?  Mine are both showing the router, so I guess it is using star topology?

Yes, if both satellites show that they are connected to the router, then that's the star topology. So if you have the daisychain topoplogy enabled, then your Orbi is indeed being smart about it. Sounds good to me *smile*.

Message 75 of 151
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7