Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wow!!! Orbi Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

martyfp
Luminary

Re: Wow!!! Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

bum - I decided to go into the office today instead of working at home !   Now I miss all the excitement !      

Interesting to use the phrase daisy-chain instead of mesh.   Does that mean this evolves to an extended start-type configuration instead of a true mesh ?     Not sure it makes much difference to me either way, just curious.

Message 26 of 151
bowmah
Guide

Was using a wired machine and just lost connection. I knew it was a FW update!

So daisy chain is enabled now? That's cool. Does it require a manual setup or qill router and satelites detect and auto configure the best configuration?

And it's ok to enabled all 3 now:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Message 27 of 151
Sevo123
Apprentice

Truly amazing!!!!! Love this update!!! Wow finally we get daisy chain topology and no more disconnects so for. Thx Netgear its better late than never! 😉
Message 28 of 151
LSL9919
Initiate

to me, enable implicit beamformer making internet speed slower

This update is great but something I love to have

1. Realtime network moniter/meter by device

2. Enable/disable 2.4 band

3. QOS

Message 29 of 151
jdpg2
Apprentice

@LSL9919 wrote:

to me, enable implicit beamformer making internet speed slower

This update is great but something I love to have

1. Realtime network moniter/meter by device

2. Enable/disable 2.4 band

3. QOS

I think this FW will get Netgear pointed in the right direction.   I still believe they were focused on their HW offerings and not the FW to drive these units.  Now that they are selling "Pro" devices i strongly believe your wish list and a lot more will be comming down the pipeline.  They really needed to get this production ready FW out the door as a basis for further development

Message 30 of 151
Mikey94025
Hero

@cyberprashant wrote:

@Mikey94025 wrote:

My upgrade to 2.0.0.72 did not lose my old settings.  My port forwarding, etc. all stayed put.

i was coming from a modded downgrade to 1.11.0.20 so perhaps they saw it fit that mine needed a complete wipe. 😄  

I was coming from 1.11.0.20 also...  Looks like some people may lose their settings but it's not clear which scenarios apply.

Message 31 of 151
morrisseysb
Apprentice

Is there a listing somewhere of everything that was updated/fixed?   Netgear doesn't seem to have that updated on the site.  

Message 32 of 151
morrisseysb
Apprentice

Probably a dumb question but what does Fast Roaming actually do?  I assume I should turn that on?

Message 33 of 151
Dustin278
Apprentice

@morrisseysb wrote:

Is there a listing somewhere of everything that was updated/fixed?   Netgear doesn't seem to have that updated on the site.  

This is from a Mod with links to individual files:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/m-p/1368730#M13446

Message 34 of 151
cyberprashant
Luminary

Nice stability so far coming from 1.11.0.20. Chromecast amazon echo no issues. Enabled all settings for mu mimo beamforming daisy chaining and fast roaming.
Message 35 of 151
JMU1998
Luminary

@peteytesting thanks for the feedback. so we can assume that "Explicit" Beamforming is part of this Firmware and on by default correct? AND now we are OK to turn on "Implicit" Beamforming since bugs fixed so older devices/adapter cards can take advantage of this feature? 

Message 36 of 151
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Ran into this firmware last night...looks promising. Still like to be able to temporarily stop firmware auto-update (and totally disable 2.4GHz. wireless), but I'd also like to think that this and forthcoming firmware will work well enough that I won't care.

Message 37 of 151
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Upgraded this morning, everything seems to be working smooth and absolute stability for me so far, no issues to report so far, loving the new features!

Message 38 of 151
cpd5215
Guide

Updated to the newest firmware and everything seems to be stable. Am I correct that it is safe to check the box next to "fast roaming." Also, if I would like my devices to try to have a better chance to connect to 5ghz, rather than 2.4, should I reduce 2.4 to say 75%? Thanks!

Message 39 of 151
TECman51
Tutor

I would be interested in anyones experience with the daisy-chain feature re: how it extended in linear feet.  Specifically, anyone using two RBW30 satellites.

Message 40 of 151
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bing-Stroller wrote:

Just logged into my router and it gave me the option to upgrade the firmware.

Have now Upgraded to V2.0.0.72

Haven’t had too much time to explore but early indications are WOW !!!

There are some serious improvements that are going to make all the difference to an already impressive system.

V2 is garbage, just like v1.12 before it. My working setup auto-upgraded to 2 and now I'm back to 1/10 the speed. I am so freaking mad right now.

Message 41 of 151
rhester72
Virtuoso

Is there any actual documentation available on what "fast roaming" actually is?  (Realistically, if it was a Magical Unicorn, it wouldn't be a selectable option and would always be on, so I'd quite like to know what it actually does.)

Rodney

Message 42 of 151
spinkick
Apprentice

Version 2 is working great for me, more speed than version 1. Maxing out my 300 mb connection. I'm using AP mode. Turned off mesh mode since my orbi is in the middle of my two bridge AP's

Message 43 of 151
cyberprashant
Luminary

@rhester72 wrote:

Is there any actual documentation available on what "fast roaming" actually is?  (Realistically, if it was a Magical Unicorn, it wouldn't be a selectable option and would always be on, so I'd quite like to know what it actually does.)

Rodney

yes, would be nice to know when to enable this.  

Also is there any way to know if router is using daisy chain topology (I have 2 satellites in a triangle sort of shape) - not sure which is better to have - checked or unchecked.  I'm going to try unchecking it. 

Message 44 of 151
st_shaw
Master

cyberprashant wrote: 

Also is there any way to know if router is using daisy chain topology (I have 2 satellites in a triangle sort of shape) - not sure which is better to have - checked or unchecked.  I'm going to try unchecking it. 

I believe you should be able to tell from the attached devices list. Each device shows which Orbi it's connected to.

Message 45 of 151
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In the Attached Devices section, the last column Connected Orbi should show what the upstream Orbi is.  If it is connected to another Orbi Satellite, then it's Daisy Chain.  

Message 46 of 151
raven_au
Virtuoso

After seeing this I put my Orbi back in place and upgraded.

I was pleased to see I didn't get an error (for satelites) on the "Firmware Update" page now.

I wasn't pleased to find my existing problem was not fixed (I essentially have one ongoing problem).

But then I haven't made any noise about it.

That problem is with an Intel NUC with an AC7260 wireless card.

The NUC is using Plex Media Player which means LibreELEC 8.0 underneath.

It may be the Intel Open Source driver but this has woked with a fairly large range of other routers so I think it should be fixed by Oualcomm and by extension Netgear. Given I had similar problems with the D7800 I believe this has been a problem for quite a while.

Because of the problem with the Intel wireless I put another router into media bridge mode and also had problems with stalls and disconnects. I used an RT-AC3200 with the previous firmware version and I have an EA8500 in place now and saw this same problem with both. I would have expected the Qualcomm based EA8500 to work fine with the Orbi Qualcomm wireless, that is odd!

But using a non-broadcom bridge isn't ok with the Orbi either, it sees only one device which changes IP address from time to time between the router and connected device making it really hard to get the assigned IP address of the player. Yes, there are workarounds assigning a fixed address to it but I shouldn't have to do that.

TBH I was thinking of just ripping it out again and I still might, but after seeing this thread I "might" perform a factory reset and re-configure before giving up "again".

Message 47 of 151
cyberprashant
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

cyberprashant wrote: 

I believe you should be able to tell from the attached devices list. Each device shows which Orbi it's connected to.

awesome! - they've really added a lot of useful info to the attached devices page.  I can see that even with daisy chain enabled I'm connected in star topology - that is each satellite appears to be connected ot the base.   And you're right can see which device connects to which satellite or router (including the satellites themselves). 

Message 48 of 151
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

BEWARE: After doing a factory reset I discovered I could no longer edit VLAN tag settings in the administrative interface. I tried this on Safari and Chrome on macOS, as well as Edge on Windows. I would enable VLAN, select the second option ("By VLAN tag group"), hit Edit, and then change the tag. Upon hitting APPLY, the page would reload but it would not save the new values. I can't say if it's specific to my Orbi, if it's a bad firmware update, or if it's a new GUI bug, but this one hit me.

Ultimately I figured out the setting in NVRAM and was able to manually set the correct VLAN through telnet and then use the GUI to "apply" the setting. That got me back online. If you run into this trouble yourself, you can do the following:

1. Enable telnet at orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  2. Sign into telnet (instructions for macOS): 
    telnet 192.168.1.1 23
  3. Manually change the VLAN tag (instructions for CenturyLink Gigabit, replace the XXX with the VLAN you need):
    nvram set vlan_tag_1=1 Internet XXX 0 0 0
  4. Then go to the VLAN settings in the admin, enable VLAN. You should see the new VLAN tag you entered in place of the default. Hit APPLY.

So tired of having to find new ways to fix this thing.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 49 of 151
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Roaming (AP or band) is a two way series of messages betwen AP (Orbi) and client (iphone, laptop, etc), and the Orbi's algorithm to ask a device to roam is based on reading various metrics (e.g. RSSI / SNR).  In an effort to give you a bit more control on how you want your Orbi to function, we've given you a lever to tune it.  This is really designed for the more advanced user.  

If you tune Fast Roaming to be "faster" then the Orbi will be more active in asking the client to roam to a different AP or band.  The beneift of this is that the client will more often be in a more optimum situation (higher signal strength / faster speed).  However, the downside is that sometimes this could result in a more disconnects or flip-flopping between two relatively equal situations.    

If you tune it to be "slower", then the Orbi won't be as active in asking clients to roam and leave things in a "good enough" state.  Clients will probably be in more stable situations, but potentially in the not as optimal connection, for example connected to the further AP.  

Play around with it and see what suits you best

Orbi Product Team

Message 50 of 151
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7