Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WyzeCam and 5G incompatibility Orbi

Bboy486
Aspirant

WyzeCam and 5G incompatibility Orbi

I am getting constant drops on my wyze cam that is 5 ft from a satellite. Wyze support says it's because the orbi is connecting the 5g network. The asked me to use 2.4 but as far as I can tell Orbi does auto switching for the strong channel.

Is it possible to force a device on a specific channel?
Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WyzeCam and 5G incompatibility Orbi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bboy486 wrote:
I am getting constant drops on my wyze cam that is 5 ft from a satellite. Wyze support says it's because the orbi is connecting the 5g network. The asked me to use 2.4 but as far as I can tell Orbi does auto switching for the strong channel

When you look at the Orbi web interface, "Attached Devices", how does it say the Wyze cam is connected to Orbi?  It should say 5G or 2.4G.

There is a world of difference between "having trouble connecting" a device and "constant drops" on a device.

Message 3 of 20
Crazy_Canuck
Aspirant

I have the same issue - I just call it the rollercoaster effect. When the cameras first connect - they have a 70 - 130 kb/s video stream. Then it starts going down to 0 kb/s within a couple of seconds. Then after a couple of more seconds it starts going back up - so up and down and up and down like a roller coaster. I have sent a request to Wyze for assistance and thought I would check here as well. I did have another Netgear router and extender and this problem did not exist there - but unfortunately I kept running into IP conflicts so I swapped out the router and extender with the Orbi RBR50 and satellite. While the IP conflicts have gone away - the Wyze cameras are now 'rollercoastering'. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bboy486 wrote:
I am getting constant drops on my wyze cam that is 5 ft from a satellite. Wyze support says it's because the orbi is connecting the 5g network. The asked me to use 2.4 but as far as I can tell Orbi does auto switching for the strong channel.

According to the Wyze web site, the Wyze Cam 2 supports ONLY 2.4G WiFi:

"WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz (Does not support 5GHz network) Supports WPA and WPA2 protocols"

(https://www.wyze.com/wyze-cam/)  The same thing applies to the Wyze Cam Pan.  ONLY 2.4G WiFi.

Someone at Wyze support "means well", but is WRONG.

Message 5 of 20
Crazy_Canuck
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly the issue is because Orbi is 'flip flopping' between 2.4 gHZ and 5.0 gHZ and when this happens the connection to the Wyze cameras 'drop'? Which then begs the question - is there a way to direct Wyze to only use 2.4 gHz on the Orbi? I have other devices that require the 2.4 gHz and they appear to be working (e.g. Ring door bell).

One other comment - I connected a Netgear EX3700-100NAS and set it to only broadcast 2.4 and it is connected to the Orbi and I am encountering the same drops. This is getting very complicated and while I solved the IP conflicts going to the Orbi - now it appears I have introduced another issue with all my Wyze cameras. I may have to drop Netgear equipment all together and try another brand 😞

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesn't flip flop frequencies. Only dual band supporting devices may flip flop between frequencies when and if they support both freqencies. Devices like phones and pads and wireless adapters. If your cams only supports 2.4Ghz frequency, then they ONLY will see 2.4Ghz and will have nothing to do with 5Ghz. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly the issue is because Orbi is 'flip flopping' between 2.4 gHZ and 5.0 gHZ and when this happens the connection to the Wyze cameras 'drop'? Which then begs the question - is there a way to direct Wyze to only use 2.4 gHz on the Orbi? I have other devices that require the 2.4 gHz and they appear to be working (e.g. Ring door bell).

One other comment - I connected a Netgear EX3700-100NAS and set it to only broadcast 2.4 and it is connected to the Orbi and I am encountering the same drops. This is getting very complicated and while I solved the IP conflicts going to the Orbi - now it appears I have introduced another issue with all my Wyze cameras. I may have to drop Netgear equipment all together and try another brand 😞

Message 7 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly the issue is because Orbi is 'flip flopping' between 2.4 gHZ and 5.0 gHZ and when this happens the connection to the Wyze cameras 'drop'?

@FURRYe38and I are saying the same thing: the Wyze camera has no 5G radio. 5G has nothing to do with the problem.

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

it appears I have introduced another issue with all my Wyze cameras.

How many Wyze cameras are there?

Message 8 of 20
Crazy_Canuck
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses / clarifications. My house is only 2,400 sq feet and all my other IoT devices appear to be working the same, if not better than before I upgraded to the Orbi and the Wifi signal is strong >70% everywhere in my house. I was just confused by the statement that the Orbi automatically chose the stronger signal between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz - and I am not sure I even said that statement correctly. Since I have you clearing this up for me - what exactly is Orbi doing then with this automatic selection between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz? How does that impact / improve connectivity through out the house?

Message 9 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I was just confused by the statement that the Orbi automatically chose the stronger signal between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz - and I am not sure I even said that statement correctly. Since I have you clearing this up for me - what exactly is Orbi doing then with this automatic selection between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz?

There is a negotiation that takes place between the WiFi host and the device seeking a connection.  Essentially, they tell each other what they are capable of doing.  The device then decides whether to connect at 2.4G or 5G.  The Wikipedia page on 802.11 has a (very) brief discussion under the heading "Management Frames". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11  (It is WAY over my level of competence.)

Message 10 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

it appears I have introduced another issue with all my Wyze cameras.

Seriously, how many Wyze cams are there?

Message 11 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I have the same issue - I just call it the rollercoaster effect. When the cameras first connect - they have a 70 - 130 kb/s video stream. Then it starts going down to 0 kb/s within a couple of seconds. Then after a couple of more seconds it starts going back up - so up and down and up and down like a roller coaster.

I have always wondered about these Wyze Cams, so I got one  today.  After getting it installed and updating firmware, I observed the same phenomenon: stream rate steadily dropped to zero.  Aha!   By accident, I tapped on "View Playback" and then "View Live Stream".  Now it has been streaming for 10 minutes.  (Need to find a way to turn off that irritating green box.)  So, it does not appear that connecting one Wyze Cam to an Orbi WiFi network will reproduce the problem.

Message 12 of 20
sidrat-jon
Aspirant

I have 5 Wyze cams 2/3 (v2/PanT), I recently switched them to my new AX12 and encountered all 5 dropping at nearly the same time via RTSP.... this was very very frustrating, however, after reading through a few different threads on different Netgear models and going through settings, the other posters and other threads are completely correct in that QoS was the culprit, at least in my case on my Netgear.  I never needed or messed with QoS on the X10, so the default settings of "enabled" for WMM QoS on the AX12 were to blame for my Wyze cut-outs.  I disabled both WMM QoS settings and my Wyze cams now stream without issue.  It would seem that the netgear forms of QoS interfere with how the Wyze works.  If you are having problems with your cams, shut off all QoS and media prioritization as a first start.  My issue had nothing to do with wireless, it was all software ( as most are in general ).  As a side note, the Wyze cams are ONLY 2.4GHz; a 2.4GHz transceiver cannot see or negotiate a 5GHz signal.

I would also highly recommend setting static IPs for any IP camera, it prevents potential client DHCP issues and does actually decrease re-connection time if network is lost.  You can do this under LAN settings under most of the Netgear UIs under "address reservation", as the Wyze cams don't support static IP directly.  

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 20
sidrat-jon
Aspirant

I have 5 Wyze cams 2/3 (v2/PanT), I recently switched them to my new AX12 and encountered all 5 dropping at nearly the same time via RTSP.... this was very very frustrating, however, after reading through a few different threads on different Netgear models and going through settings, the other posters and other threads are completely correct in that QoS was the culprit, at least in my case on my Netgear.  I never needed or messed with QoS on the X10, so the default settings of "enabled" for WMM QoS on the AX12 were to blame for my Wyze cut-outs.  I disabled both WMM QoS settings and my Wyze cams now stream without issue.  It would seem that the netgear forms of QoS interfere with how the Wyze works.  If you are having problems with your cams, shut off all QoS and media prioritization as a first start.  My issue had nothing to do with wireless, it was all software ( as most are in general ).  As a side note, the Wyze cams are ONLY 2.4GHz; a 2.4GHz transceiver cannot see or negotiate a 5GHz signal, it will only connect to 2.4GHz, and most if not all problems that are experienced can be down to software config, unless there is a significant bug involved. 

I would also highly recommend setting static IPs for any IP camera, it prevents potential client DHCP issues and does actually decrease re-connection time if network is lost.  You can do this under LAN settings under most of the Netgear UIs under "address reservation", as the Wyze cams don't support static IP directly.  

These suggestions apply to ANY having the dropped issue with IP cameras. 

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

This would indicate that these Cams have an issue the QoS and or WMM if encountering across more than one router model varient. Something the Camera Mfr should be looking into. 

Message 15 of 20
Crazy_Canuck
Aspirant

Apologizes for the delay in responding - had a family emergency the past week.

I have 9 Wyze V2 Cameras and 1 Wyze Pan Camera

Message 16 of 20
Crazy_Canuck
Aspirant

Thanks - QoS was not 'selected' on the Orbi configuration screens and I could not find anywhere to set address reservations. Thanks for the suggestions though

Message 17 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you administer the Orbi with the web interface or an "app"?  Device IP assignments on the web interface are on the Advanced Tab->Setup->LAN Setup screen.

Message 18 of 20
hrachyap
Aspirant

I had similar problem connecting Wyze Cam Pan to Orbi. It seems disabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence helped solve the problem. 

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad that worked for you. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@hrachyap wrote:

I had similar problem connecting Wyze Cam Pan to Orbi. It seems disabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence helped solve the problem. 

Thanks!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7