Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Terrible WiFI speeds

joshuascott
Aspirant

XR500 Terrible WiFI speeds

Last night I bought a RBK53 with two satelites from Costco to replace my 3 airport extreme system. The WiFi coverage is indeed better but the speed is terrible. The average speed is UNDER 100 mbps, I have a house that is 3000 square feet smaller than the specs and yet even sitting right by one of the satelites I get 50-70mbps. Each satelite is hardwired to the Orbi router.

Other details:

• ISP: XFinity (Gigabit speed)
  • Modem: Motorola MB8600 (DOCSIS 3.1)
  • Firmware Version2.3.1.60

What am I doing wrong?

Josh

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
joshuascott
Aspirant

Re: XR500 Terrible WiFI speeds

Other details:

• ISP: XFinity (Gigabit speed)
  • Modem: Motorola MB8600 (DOCSIS 3.1)
  • Firmware Version2.3.1.60
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on for the xr500? 

How far apart are the orbi's? 30ft is required between orbi's. 

have you changed/check wireless channels to see if there's interference on the channels you're on?

You stated you're running hardwired backhaul, excellent. this is the best backhaul in my opinion. What switch are you going through? Or are you directly connected? Make sure its gigabit if you're going through a switch. Also check your cables as a bad cable can slow you down to 10/100 speeds. 

You list xr500 and the orbi setup. How do you have it hooked up? modem--xr500--orbi router--orbi satellites?  Where is the switch in this? if this is roughly how its hooked up, is the orbi in AP mode?

Message 3 of 8
joshuascott
Aspirant

The Orbis are probably less than 30ft. They are simply on three floors above each other.I will confirm what the firmware is for the router. All of the cables are new and were connected to the airport extreme with way better results. Here is the network topography:

Modem -> Orbi -> Satelites (each directly connected to the Orbi router). 

Lastly the Orbi is set up in Router mode.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 8
joshuascott
Aspirant

I have attached a screen capture of the modem configuration.

The Firmware is: 8600-18.2.12

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

where does the xr500 come in?

What speeds do you pay for?

what speeds do you get over a hardwired connection on both orbi and directly connected to router?

What device are you testing your wifi speeds with? Wifi speed tests are extremely variable. I'd get your router/satellites seperated to the recommended distance. Also do a wifi channel scan (free apps for phones or programs for computers). This will let you optimize the wireless. 

Test with multiple wifi devices over 24-48 hours. orbi dynamically allocates speeds and you might be using the 2.4ghz channels and not the 5ghz for higher throughput. 

Message 6 of 8
joshuascott
Aspirant

• I own the modem. It was purchased late last year.
  • I am paying for gigabit speeds.
  • I am getting between 700-900 hardwired.
  • How do you reccomend measuring distance through floors? They both have "blue" connections and they are hardwired to the router.
  • What with the channel scan tell me?

Thanks for your help

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

@joshuascott wrote:
  • I own the modem. It was purchased late last year.
  • I am paying for gigabit speeds.
  • I am getting between 700-900 hardwired.  Thats great. What you'd expect
  • How do you reccomend measuring distance through floors? They both have "blue" connections and they are hardwired to the router. This is more about proper distance.  Its awesome that you're using a wired backhaul.  If there to close to each other though, the dynamic switching on orbi gets interfered with. It'll slow it down as well as devices won't roam properly or switch bands properly 
  • What with the channel scan tell me?  Which bands have the most interference and how to optimize it?    https://www.pcmag.com/article/257032/10-ways-to-boost-your-wi-fi-signal

Thanks for your help

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7