Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox One game Breakpoint crashes Orbi

RickDias
Tutor

Xbox One game Breakpoint crashes Orbi

My Xbox One is hardwired to an Orbi RBR40 (2.3.5.30 with a hardwired RBS40 30 feet away on the same firmware version). The RBR40 is hardwired to my Comcast XB6 cable modem gateway, which is in Bridge mode with its public wifi AP turned off.

After 2-10 minutes in a location in the game near a lot of other players (Erewhon), the game throws a network lost error and the Orbi stops responding to any device on the network - all traffic is blocked. This lasts until the Orbi is power cycled. No other game does this and there aren't other reports of anything like this happening to other players. It happens even when every single other device in the house is disconnected from the Orbi.

Xbox is in the Orbi DMZ, NAT is open and all network tests from the Xbox come back healthy. I've tried power cycling everything in turn, resetting XBox alternate MAC address and toggling each of the following without effect: UPnP, Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection, NAT Filtering. WiFI isn't involved but in case it matters Enable Daisy Chain Topology is off, Beamforming and MU-MIMO are on, Fast Roaming is off.

Any ideas? I'm open to voodoo.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
RickDias
Tutor

Success! I did a factory reset and switched from using port forwarding to only using UPnP. Comcast XB6 still in bridge mode, Orbi RBR40 still in router mode.

It feels wrong to not use port forwarding, so at some future point I'll try turning that back on and turn off UPnP to see if the resolution was actually some other aspect of the factory reset.

Notes - I already had a reserved IP address and had done mutliple resets of all hardware with cache clearing on XBox, that didn't resolve the issue. I had connected the xbox via wifi to a neighbor's network and the problem went away, so I was pretty sure it was interaction with the Orbi RBR40 (and possibly that with the Comcast XB6).

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Remove the xbox from the DMZ on Orbi. 

Set a IP address reservation for the xbox on Orbi. Save and apply. Hold the front power button on the xbox until it turns off, then release. Reboot the RBR.

If you only have 1 xbox, then net NAT Filter to secure. OPEN you can use however its only recommended if you have two or more game consoles online playing the same game at the same time. 

Ensure uPnP is enabled. 

I'd this game work while if you had the modem not bridged and in router mode? 

Message 2 of 6
RickDias
Tutor

Success! I did a factory reset and switched from using port forwarding to only using UPnP. Comcast XB6 still in bridge mode, Orbi RBR40 still in router mode.

It feels wrong to not use port forwarding, so at some future point I'll try turning that back on and turn off UPnP to see if the resolution was actually some other aspect of the factory reset.

Notes - I already had a reserved IP address and had done mutliple resets of all hardware with cache clearing on XBox, that didn't resolve the issue. I had connected the xbox via wifi to a neighbor's network and the problem went away, so I was pretty sure it was interaction with the Orbi RBR40 (and possibly that with the Comcast XB6).

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RickDias wrote:

Maybe I don't understand this fully, but it appears to me that a combination of (1) setting a device as the DMZ, and (2) port forwarding to the same device is a recipe for disaster.  The same packets will be delivered to the device twice, and it might even "loop" itself.  Just in general, I tend to avoid DMZ unless absolutely necessary.

Message 4 of 6
RickDias
Tutor

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I tried different setting combinations exclusively from each other. DMZ, port forwarding and UPnP weren't on at the same time. I am using UPnP now after doing a factory reset, but will try switching to port forwarding at some future point since it seems to be generally regarded as being more secure overall.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using uPnP over PF. If it works, then I would leave it. uPnP has been stable for a while know and uPnP of 10 years ago hasn't caused any problems. I've been using uPnP for gaming for a long time. No issues. If you do want to go back to PF, just ensure you don't have uPnP enabled. And don't use DMZ for the console. 

Glad it's working now. Enjoy. 

@RickDias wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I tried different setting combinations exclusively from each other. DMZ, port forwarding and UPnP weren't on at the same time. I am using UPnP now after doing a factory reset, but will try switching to port forwarding at some future point since it seems to be generally regarded as being more secure overall.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7