Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xbox/speedify… Vlan solution

Jthomas8265
Aspirant

Xbox/speedify… Vlan solution

So Im doing some crazy stuff here to get faster connect in a rural setting using speedify to bond dsl, starlink, and tethered phone over a Raspi 4b. All of that works great but when I try to run my xbox series x on it it senses it is on a proxy/vpn and wont let me load my games or my amazon video service even with the bypass setting enabled in the speedify. Could a VLan bypass xbox/live from triggering and let me use all these services together?
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Xbox/speedify… Vlan solution

Doubtful. And even if it could, it wouldn't be letting you use "all those services" together. It'd be setting the xbox to just go through one service. 

For gaming, what you're trying to do won't work. Reason why is gaming is sensitive to timings. By trying to game over multiple bonded services, you're having multiple different ISP types all with different ping/latencies. Those differences in ping/latency is whats causing the issues, not the speed. Say if your game sent the data from a single screen movement and it was split, the data all comes back at different times over the different connections. So the xbox either has to drop the frame, or display it erratically because all the data isn't back. Its why it does a check prior to letting you online game. 

One thing to keep in mind is that gaming doesn't take that much bandwidth. Its more important to have a lower ping/latency than it is to have super fast speeds. You might be fine off the dsl connection (if its a halfway decent one) versus the starlink/phone because they tend to have higher latency. 

Message 2 of 3
Jthomas8265
Aspirant

Re: Xbox/speedify… Vlan solution

Thank you. 😒 just have to wait on fiber and straight line from the Pi for now. 😁
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7