Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity App access no longer allowed?

gsmitch13
Aspirant

Xfinity App access no longer allowed?

My Orbi RBR50 is not allowing my Xfinity (comcast) apps to access internet from my wife and my iPhones and iPads.  All other access for other apps and internet on them work fine only the Xfinity apps do not work.  Anyone have an idea why?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Xfinity App access no longer allowed?

Glad you got it working. Yes factory reset should include both RBR and RBS to be sure everything is cleared out. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

There been any recent FW updates or changes to access controls or anything with the Orbi system? 

Do other apps work? 

Is this Orbi system a retail bought system? 

Message 2 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

Firm ware ver V2.3.1.60

Surfboard Model SB6190

NG support had me access advance settings and make changes to correct connection issues I was having with my Amazon, Nest and other devices.  The tech suggested it was needed because of either an update or power outage may have caused settings to be error set.

All other internest apps on all four Apple devices work properly.  ONLY the Xfinity apps fail to read the needed infromation from the wifi connection.

I bought the Orbi unit from Best Buy.  I had never seen it before I entering the store as I was looking for an option to the Comcast equipment that was constantly dropping my camera feeds and many of my other numerous (now47) wifi connected devices.  It worked perfectly for over a year.  This issue became very apparent after a storm/power outage reset.  First my Amazon equipment was a problem and during a support call with them the issue became more wide spread and they had me call NG support.  It appeared everything was corrected and back to normal but the next day my wife complained she could not stream TV via the Xfinity app in checking I fould that none of my Apply devices could access their apps.  I assumed (still do I think) that is was Xfiniry problem but their tech that showed up says it is the router.  So I am dead in the water for a resoultion. 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What was it that NG support correctly to get your other apps running. Odd that they need to change something. I've never had to configure the Orbi for any app connections. All mine just work, though I don't have Xfininity. Seems that if you didn't make any changes other then what NG did and the XF app had been working and if you didn't change anything since, seems the app maybe a problem. 

I presume you may have uninstalled this app and re-installed it? Does it happen with other devices as well? 

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch then tested again? 

FYI about your ISP modem:

http://www.badmodems.com

Message 4 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

They had me check Advanced setting to check the 'ENABLE MU-MIMO, ENABLE FAST ROAMING, and on wireless setting change the 2.4 and 5.0 chanells to 9 and 44 respectfully.

Posible something else - not sure what.

Yes uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.  Still will not connect correctly.

I have found that if I access the hotspot on my phone with my iPad then use both Xfility apps they function correctly.  As long as I so not close the apps and switch back to them Orbi they continue to function.  If I close the app then reopen then they fail again.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, input the IP address of your mobile device that has this app on it into the DMZ on the RBR. Save settings and reboot. Close the app on the mobile device. After the RBR is back to ready, try the app. Curious if this changes anything. 

Message 6 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

in checking the ORBI app both of the Apple iPhones and iPads are listed with the correct IP address.  What do you mean by DMZ?   This old Nam vet sees knows of only one meaning for it.  ha!

Message 7 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

Also all 4 Apple items work all other apps via the wifi connection with the router without any issues only the Xfinity Apps are an issue????

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

Seems like this maybe a Xfinity issue since other apps work thru your devices...

Message 9 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

Exactly what I thought but after they sent a tech out to check - he said it was not their issue.  Further his app on his iPhone work and when I take and use the app on my iPad via my iPhone hot spot it works - so o o  back to the router setting they had me change. - calling Netgear support again.  What makes me mad is not they want money to find out what they did that is causing my issue.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try putting your device into the RBRs DMZ and see if it helps with the app? 

Seems like if other apps are working and this one app isn't, would be an app issue. 

Did the tech test his app while connected to our Orbi wifi? 

Message 11 of 13
gsmitch13
Aspirant

I did not fully do a reset of the ORBI RBR50 and the satilite - the reset was a normal one I had done before.  I found on line the instructions to do it resetting both the router and satilite and reprograming the connections and passwords.  Low and behold all is good.  I for the life of me cannot understand why Netgear support did not say do this first!

All good now - thanks for your help and patience.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Yes factory reset should include both RBR and RBS to be sure everything is cleared out. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7