Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity Gateway as router, RBR50 in AP mode, two wireless RBS50 satellites

zachMade
Tutor

Xfinity Gateway as router, RBR50 in AP mode, two wireless RBS50 satellites

Hi,

I'm using an Xfinity Gateway that I originally set to Bridge mode so as to prevent double NAT, allowing the RBR50 to handle routing. I've since discovered that when reset or calling Xfinity customer service the Xfinity hardware decides to make itself a router again...

I'm wondering if I can allow the Xfinity to be the router, turn the RBR50 to Access Point mode, and still be able to wirelessly mesh my two satellites (RBS50). I won't be able to run Ethernet to the satellites, so it has to be wireless.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can, use option #3. I listed the other options to let you know what other modes could be used. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Xfinitity also allows for BYOM as well...So you can get your own stand alone modem if you want the Orbi to be the main router. 

Message 2 of 8
zachMade
Tutor

Hmm... that sounds more like a no I can't, in that it sounds like the RBR50 needs to be a router to mesh wirelessly with the two satellites.

1. I previously had it set up this way, but if the Xfinity unit is going to revert to being a router every time I call Comcast (which is frustratingly frequently) I'll have to go in and fix the settings on the Comcast and Orbi all the time...
  2. I haven't tried this arrangement yet, but if Comcast will be reverting these settings frequently it likely brings me to the same issues as point #1
  3. The heart of my question: if I do this (disable Xfinity Wi-Fi, enable Xfinity router, set Orbi RBR50 as AP/not-router) will my two satellites (RBS50) still be able to mesh with the RBR50? (my assumption is no Smiley Sad)

If I am unable to do the meshing as outlined in #3 I'm guessing my next best bet is a wireless extender instead of doing an all Orbi setup.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can, use option #3. I listed the other options to let you know what other modes could be used. 

Message 4 of 8
zachMade
Tutor

Sweet! I'll give it a try and report back (probably tomorrow afternoon)

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
zachMade
Tutor

That worked! Smiley Very Happy

For future folks who come across this post, if you set your Orbi RBR50 to AP Mode it will still mesh to Orbi RBS50 satellites!

This is helpful if you want to use your ISP-provided modem also as a router. In my case, I chose to do so because anytime I call the ISP they reset or modify the settings on their modem/router and it got tiring having to fix them each time, so my network is now designed around the default settings on the ISP modem/router and then my Orbi is set up to work with that.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements