Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity gigabit plan but Orbi maxes out around low 500Mbps

interestedperso
Aspirant

Thank you all, i am going to have a play with the MTU setting and turn of daisychaining when i get home as from reading threads i note some have had luck with this approach.

Already logged ticket and was given the usual newbie script back, replied to that but had nothing back yet.
Message 26 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this as well. Power OFF the ISP modem, Factory reset the RBR. Leave the RBS off. Power ON the ISP modem. After it syncs, walk thru the setup wizard and set up from scratch. I would not set a new SSID here, just leave it as default for now. Be sure not to enable QoS, Traffic Meter or any Access Controls or Circle or Armor. After the RBR is setup, use a wired PC and Ooklas installable speedtest app. Run some speed tests. Let us know what you find out with this configuration. If your still seeing the same issue, I presume there is a problem at the RBR with WAN to LAN speeds as seen here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@interestedperso wrote:
Thank you all, i am going to have a play with the MTU setting and turn of daisychaining when i get home as from reading threads i note some have had luck with this approach.

Already logged ticket and was given the usual newbie script back, replied to that but had nothing back yet.

Message 27 of 33
PoorOldRudy
Aspirant

Well shoot. Went to open a ticket and looks like my phone, chat and email support have expired. But I still have the hardware warranty. How do I submit a ticket if they so all my options expired by I'm still under hardware warranty? I filled out the support form and the only two options I got are this community forum and the knowledge base.

Message 28 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact the forum moderator and hopefully they can direct you.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

@PoorOldRudy wrote:

Well shoot. Went to open a ticket and looks like my phone, chat and email support have expired. But I still have the hardware warranty. How do I submit a ticket if they so all my options expired by I'm still under hardware warranty? I filled out the support form and the only two options I got are this community forum and the knowledge base.

Message 29 of 33
interestedperso
Aspirant

I had a play tonight first checking mtu setting was good using https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

It was, i then turned daisychain topology off, after restart i got 520mb via speedtest.net from the satellite wiresless, bingo. I hope it helps anyone having speed issues when satellite etc is connected via ethernet.
Message 30 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

The OP is not even getting near 900Mbps with just the RBR via wired PC. 

Wireless speed will max out at around 400-500Mbps for current wifi devices. Depending upon Mfr design and support. 

@interestedperso wrote:
I had a play tonight first checking mtu setting was good using https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

It was, i then turned daisychain topology off, after restart i got 520mb via speedtest.net from the satellite wiresless, bingo. I hope it helps anyone having speed issues when satellite etc is connected via ethernet.

Message 31 of 33
PoorOldRudy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Saw several of your posts recommending users to hardwire straight into the Orbi and do a speedtest through the app and not the site. I did get a couple test results in the 600-700Mbps range. But most landed in the 400-500Mbps range. So the speed is there, almost, but something is getting in the way. I know it's cable which can degrade when other people around you are using it. Which could be part of it. I had a tech who came out to test my equipment tell me we are on a shared line with 20 other people. So... there is that.

While on the Orbi's wifi I have tried several speed tests on the http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest which have came back in the 500+Mbps range. Has anyone ever tried the dslreports speed test?

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like something in the RBRs FW and or HW is not fully getting or allowing near 900Mbps...

Ya, used dslreports.com before as well. The test I run is more local and has no internet processing interferences. 

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7