Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity oauth.xfinity.com blocked for no reason

jessepoteet
Aspirant

Xfinity oauth.xfinity.com blocked for no reason

I had this issue last year when I did the trial of the Netgear Armor security feature. Armor turned out to be a disaster and screwed up the system and was blocking oauth.xfinity.com from loading, so I was unable to stream xfinity shows or login to xfinity to even pay a bill. 

I had to reset the system back to factory, do firmware updates, and setup the network from scratch all over again. That was the only fix.

Now the issue has come up again, but it's not due to me changing anything on my end. Everything worked fine one day, then suddenly the next day it was broken again and oauth.xfinity.com is blocked again.

Based on community posts, it looks like this has been an issue for more than 2 years now, so why Netgear hasn't fixed it yet is beyond me, but nonetheless here we are.

Does anyone have a fix besides the full reset? Any ideas what's making it happen so I can avoid it in the future? Any chance netgear cares enough about their products to fix this issue? Perhaps it's time to move on to a different brand mesh system.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Xfinity oauth.xfinity.com blocked for no reason

Can you please remind me how "oauth.xfinity.com" comes into the picture.

When I open https://xfinity.com and attempt to log in, it takes me to https://login.xfinity.com.

(Obviously I cannot provide credentials that xfinity will accept - not being a customer and all.)

When I attempt to open oauth.xfinity.com directly, I get Error 403: access forbidden.

Is "oauth" the next step after login?

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

how do you know its "blocked"?

What actual error/notice are you getting? 

What modem do you have?

Message 3 of 11
jessepoteet
Aspirant

I've only derived that it's oauth.xfinity.com because that seems to be where it stalls. When I try to log into my xfinity account while on my wifi, it just spins and never loads. It eventually times out. It's an issue I've see several talk about on these support forums: Search results here

Last time it happened to me it was the security app that was causing the issues and netgear admitted that. The fix was to reset to factory and setup my mesh system as new. It was a pain but it was the only fix. I'm afraid it might be the only fix now, too.

If I switch off wifi on my phone and use cell networks, I log into xfinity just fine and the xfinity stream app works. But any device using my network is unable to use xfinity stream or log into the xfinity website. I also can't authorize other apps like ESPN while on my network, so I have to go to cell networks, login to xfinity, authorize the connection, then ESPN works.

It's just strange this time since I've made no changes to my system so it makes no sense as to why it would suddenly cause the issue. I know "a" fix, I'm just hoping for a more attractive fix and better yet, a solution to the problem that avoids it being an issue in the future. 

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

what firmware is on the orbi? 

Message 5 of 11
jessepoteet
Aspirant

Firmware for router and satellite is V2.6.2.104

Modem is a Netgear AC1600, Model C6250.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

does the C6250 has its router mode disabled? 

or is the orbi in access point mode? 

otherwise it can be in a doulbe nat. 

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not see this as a Double NAT issue.  It worked for months and months, and then one day it no longer works.

Internet searches turn up plenty of questions about "Why can't I access Xfinity?" that are not related to Orbi.

There was one that claimed oauth.xfinity.com resolved to three separate IP addresses and one of them was not responding.  If that IP address was cached by the Orbi or the ISP router, it might appear "dead".

Has everything been rebooted? (Mac, Orbi ISP modem?)  Not "reset", just powered off and on again?

Message 8 of 11
jessepoteet
Aspirant

The modem's router is disabled and routing is handled by the Orbi.

Yes, all have been unplugged for several minutes and then plugged back in. Issue still remains.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not see a date on this article from Xfinity:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/issues-with-browsing 

(My browsers could not open that http web page by IP address.)

You may not be the only one affected:

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/login.xfinity.com.html 

Message 10 of 11
jessepoteet
Aspirant

UPDATE

I did a full factory reset on everything last night. Modem, router, etc. 

Once I was back up and running, everything worked. Including xfinity stream and other xfinity services. That lasted 1 evening. Today, it's back to not working. No idea what is causing this but it's very frustrating.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7