Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity router to bridge mode and Orbi RBK50 to AP mode

stevedavis
Aspirant

Xfinity router to bridge mode and Orbi RBK50 to AP mode

So I have everything set up and running really well but I read that AP mode is the way to go.  Tried it and it didn't work.  What I've read or seen videos of was either setting up the router or the Orbi.  Can someone lay out a step by step instruction for setting up the Xfinity modem and the Orbi to AP mode.  Which do I do first,  what stays on/off or connected, etc.  Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

I wouldn't change things if you are satisfied with how things are running.  Using your Orbi in the default Router mode leverages all of its functionality.  If you must switch it to AP mode, follow the instructions at: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Before switching your Orbi to AP mode, make sure your Xfinity gateway is not in bridge mode.  By default the Xfinity gateway is not in bridge mode so you shouldn't have a problem unless you or someone else modified it.  You still need something to operate as a router and putting your Orbi into AP mode removes its router functionality.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

I wouldn't change things if you are satisfied with how things are running.  Using your Orbi in the default Router mode leverages all of its functionality.  If you must switch it to AP mode, follow the instructions at: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Before switching your Orbi to AP mode, make sure your Xfinity gateway is not in bridge mode.  By default the Xfinity gateway is not in bridge mode so you shouldn't have a problem unless you or someone else modified it.  You still need something to operate as a router and putting your Orbi into AP mode removes its router functionality.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There are two methods for AP mode, Dynamic and Staic. Dynamic gets an IP address from your modem. 

Static is you set an IP address on the RBR. I prefer to use Static so I know what the IP address is to access the RBRs web page if needed. I use 192.168.#.50. 

Make sure your connecting the RBRs WAN port to the modem while in AP Mode. 

@stevedavis wrote:

So I have everything set up and running really well but I read that AP mode is the way to go.  Tried it and it didn't work.  What I've read or seen videos of was either setting up the router or the Orbi.  Can someone lay out a step by step instruction for setting up the Xfinity modem and the Orbi to AP mode.  Which do I do first,  what stays on/off or connected, etc.  Thank you. 

Message 3 of 4
stevedavis
Aspirant

Having the ISP router in bridge mode was my problem when first putting the Orbi in AP mode.  Set it up last night just to see if I could do it right and it worked like a charm.  Will just leave it in AP mode now as I'm done messing with it.  Ran a speed test in the same room and it was 530/17 and at the end of the house where the speeds were always the worst it was 450/15.  After the firmware update,  the satellite went from connecting to two devices at the far end of the house to another handful that are in close proximity.  

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7