Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: YEA or NAY?: Orbi AC300 (RBR50 & RBS50)

k17
Aspirant
Aspirant

YEA or NAY?: Orbi AC300 (RBR50 & RBS50)

I was all ready to pull the trigger based on several online pro tech reviews, then I read some of the many user comments here and on Amazon detailing all the problems with this system.

The two other routers I'm considering are the Linksys Velop and the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD. These both also have their detractors.

But yea or nay on the Orbi?

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Orbi has worked great for me in AP mode behind a more advanced router for almost two years so far.  Every system has its detractors. I would not recommend basing your decision on a support site like this one.  It's where people with issues come to post. This means the posts here are skewed towards the negative.  Also, many issues posted here turn out not to have anything to do with problems with Orbi.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Been enjoying the CBK40 since it arrived. No issues. I set up a friends RBK50 earlier this year:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

He's told me of no problems since. Enjoys it. Games and Streams video on it. 

There are others with not so much luck. We've been able to help many resolve some of the issues here in the forums however...

Orbi prefers non managed switches when one needs to have one. IGMP needs to be disabled on Managed switches for some reason. 

Distance to start on orbi between the base and satellites should be 30 feet upwards to 50-60 feet depending upon building materials. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@k17 wrote:

I was all ready to pull the trigger based on several online pro tech reviews, then I read some of the many user comments here and on Amazon detailing all the problems with this system.

The two other routers I'm considering are the Linksys Velop and the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD. These both also have their detractors.

But yea or nay on the Orbi?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
k17
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much to st_shaw and FURRYe38 for taking the time to respond to my question.

I have continued the discussion, with additional questions here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Which-firmware-update-AC3000/m-p/1654600#M43971

Thanks for any further advice,

Ken

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7