Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Yet Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

rbmattis
Tutor

Yet Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Hi, apparently, I'm not the only one with RBR50 issues.

I recently moved and updated my RBR50 to v2.7.2.104 firmware.

I also have two RBS50 satellites running the same firmware.

My issue is that about once a day, my RBR50 loses its internet connection. The RBR50 is directly connected to a Arris cable modem and Spectrum. The cable modem is not having connection issues. I can plug something else into the cable modem and it works fine. The solution for the problem is rebooting the RBR50. Like others, I'm at wits's end. I changed the wan_lease=1200 but I don't know whether or not that will change anything. I don't have Armor or Circle.

Any other tips? thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The most common advice is to either:

• Perform a Factory Reset and clean configuration on the router, or
  • Manually install the previous firmware.

It is a mystery why this happens to some Orbi's when updated to 2.7.2.104 and not to others.  It may be related to the specific ISP. (I am also on Spectrum, and do not have this problem. However, my Spectrum franchise was originally Comcast, which got bought by Adelphia, which got bought by Time Warner, which is not Spectrum.  Who knows how the "parts" in MY Spectrum cable system compare to the electronics in other franchises.)

Message 2 of 11
chrisg331
Initiate

Under NTP Settings, I changed the following:

Uncheck

Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

Check 

Set your preferred NTP server

and change NTP server to: time.nist.gov

Save and reboot. This is on V2.7.2.104. This has worked for me for the last 48 hours.

I tried the factory reset and the older FW versions all the way back to RBR50-V2.7.0.70 without any luck.

Good luck.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
spewak
Luminary

I'm going on 5 full days sans lost connection using this method.

Message 4 of 11
BillYoung
Luminary

@rbmattis:

I too had issues with 2.7.2.104 until I listened to @FURRYe38.  He said that after installing the firmware, you have to reboot both your modem and the Orbi (after waiting for 1 minute, restart the modem then the Orbi).

Also, he said to change your NTP settings from Netgear's time server to time.nist.gov.

I have done both of those things, and have had no issues since.

Message 5 of 11
rbmattis
Tutor

ok, i changed the NTP, and rebooted everything, will let folks know if it holds up!

Message 6 of 11
vajim
Master

@rbmattis wrote:

My issue is that about once a day, my RBR50 loses its internet connection. The RBR50 is directly connected to a Arris cable modem and Spectrum. The cable modem is not having connection issues. I can plug something else into the cable modem and it works fine. The solution for the problem is rebooting the RBR50. Like others, I'm at wits's end. I changed the wan_lease=1200 but I don't know whether or not that will change anything. I don't have Armor or Circle.

Any other tips? thanks!

tips?

roll your firmware back if possible. 

Message 7 of 11
vajim
Master

@BillYoung wrote:

@rbmattis:

I too had issues with 2.7.2.104 until I listened to @FURRYe38.  He said that after installing the firmware, you have to reboot both your modem and the Orbi (after waiting for 1 minute, restart the modem then the Orbi).

Also, he said to change your NTP settings from Netgear's time server to time.nist.gov.

I have done both of those things, and have had no issues since.

Interesting that one user states you MUST reboot ALL

Netgear never mentions anything about rebooting:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 8 of 11
Tribikn3112
Aspirant

I have the exact same RBR50 system with satellites.Had same problems after v.104 update. Even got locked out of being able to login to the router with ethernet cable. Had to do a password recovery using the router serial number, answer security questionss where I had to leave blank for the answers. I manually rolled back to V2.6.1.40 on all devices, and problems have not gone away, completely. Issh......

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Also make sure Traffic Meter is not enabled. 

@rbmattis wrote:

Any other tips? thanks!

Message 10 of 11
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also make sure Traffic Meter is not enabled. 

@rbmattis wrote:

Any other tips? thanks!

Did TM ever work?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7