Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Yet Another VLAN Tagging Post

Bolson32
Aspirant

Yet Another VLAN Tagging Post

I have CenturyLink fiber directly into my house and I see that VLAN Tagging on the WAN port supposedly used to be a feature? However, it appears to not be available on the current firmware. Any chance that makes a comeback? Would really like to get rid of my C2100T and not have to buy a managed switch. 

I'm currently using the ORBI in AP mode but I feel like I'm not really getting the full benefit of the device just using it as a fancy WAP. Would be nice to take advantage of the router features as well. Is there an ETA on this?

I could buy a smart switch but I'd rather not be out another $40. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 10
Bolson32
Aspirant

Bump @DarrenM

Message 3 of 10
Algester
Guide

Would also like to know when this is going to be done.

Message 4 of 10
Bolson32
Aspirant

Bump bump bump!!! @DarrenM are you still moderating?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Bolson32

Basic VLAN is supported by Orbi. An advanced version of VLAN tagging is coming in the future but no ETA of when. 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

Just set your C2100T in transparent bridge mode and use PTM-Tagged and VLAN ID 201 on the C2100T Broadband Settings page.  Then you can connect Orbi and it will pull a WAN IP throught the modem.

I have the C2100T and that is what I do. There is no need to have VLAN tagging support on the router at all. At least that's how it works with my CenturyLink service in a non-pppoe area.

Message 8 of 10
Bolson32
Aspirant

I've tried that and I lose internet connectivity. There's another post on here with someone who lives in a Centurylink PPPOE area that has the same issue. Doesn't seem to work as intended, to be fair I didn't give it an incredible amount of time. 

Currently using it in AP mode, but I feel like I'm losing some of the traffic features, etc. 

Message 9 of 10
st_shaw
Master

I'm in an IPOE area so I don't know if that makes a difference.  I will say, however, that it was quite difficult to get transparent bridge mode to stick on the C2100T. I've seen others report the same issue.  I had to try 3-4 times before it stuck.  It's also easy to get the settings wrong. I had it connect in Auto mode, noted the settings, then changed to transparent bridge mode, and made sure the settings were still correct.

So, it would be worth trying again if you want to use Orbi in router mode.  However, I use Orbi in AP mode and I'm quite happy with that.

I think, but am not sure since I don't have PPPOE, that it should work if you set the modem to bridged mode with VLAN tagging, (not PPOE mode) then setup Orbi to use PPPOE (but not VLAN tagging.)

You can see some screen shots here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31392463-Bridge-mode-for-C2100T-modem-VDSL2-IPoE

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7