Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: YouTube iOS App with YouTube premium account, unable to save videos offline over wifi

mccrackend
Aspirant

YouTube iOS App with YouTube premium account, unable to save videos offline over wifi

Hello,

First time poster to the forums and would appreciate any troubleshooting ideas for this interesting behavior that just started happening to me on my home network with my new iPhone XS running iOS 12 and the YouTube app with my premium membership that allows for offline content downloading.  I'll put my Orbi specs at the bottom of the post.

I've never had any problems using the app's download features until I just upgraded my phone and updated to iOS 12.  The behavior is, the video download button shows up on videos while I'm off of my home orbi network, but the video download button does not show up while I'm on my orbi network anymore.

I was able to trick the app a bit, however, with wifi off I can pull up a video and see the download button, press the button to receive the warning that downloads are only available over wi-fi per my settings, then flip the wifi back on while the video and button are still visible, and magically the video starts downloading.  It's the strangest thing - and I've not been able to find anything on the Youtube support side that comes close to this behavior yet.

Most importantly though, I was able to use the download feature like normal while on my wifi network at work today, so I feel confident that my account is logged in, connected and working fine under normal circumstances.  It's this behavior that has me looking at the router as the likely issue, and I don't know where to start troubleshooting it in more detail.

Any suggestions on how to go about testing the router as a culprit would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.1.4.16
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.314

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: YouTube iOS App with YouTube premium account, unable to save videos offline over wifi

If the app was working with your prior phone and prior iOS and now it's not, we can presume there maybe a problem with the newer phone and iOS version and would need to contact Apple support about this.

Also check to see if other devices are working as welll.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If the app was working with your prior phone and prior iOS and now it's not, we can presume there maybe a problem with the newer phone and iOS version and would need to contact Apple support about this.

Also check to see if other devices are working as welll.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 4
mccrackend
Aspirant

Really appreciate your reply. Of course, the download feature is working today after I got home from work, with no changes to the iOS version of wifi settings.

Modem, for fun: Motorola Surfboard SB6120

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

It's always the fun stuff that can be crazy. Glad it's working now.

Good Modem you have.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7