Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting this info. Sounds like your system is working well in router mode like others. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@snellc001 wrote:

Arris SB6141. Spectrum 100/10 service. Speed tests are consitently within 2 percent (+ or -) of advertised speed, and are usually on the + side.

Message 51 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its finally working for you now. I would encourage you to seek help sooner from the forum community, rather then waiting for FW updates. There is good information and help on getting Orbis working and information on troubleshooting when problems arise.

Enjoy the system now. Smiley Wink

@Reddking wrote:
The WiFi dropout issue that me and family had experienced EVERY SINGLE DAY is now seemingly gone after the new firmware.

It feels good to just have wireless that works!! I’ve had the Orbi RBS50 for over a year and it’s been more pain than pleasure. This is what I was expecting when I bought the system originally.

Let’s not screw with this for a while... PLEASE!!!

Message 52 of 251
73Bruin
Guide

I have not had any issues in fact I did not know that my system was updated to this release until I checked after browsing the community site.  The update was seamless as no one complained about noticing an outage (there are 4 of us plus friends and other family).

In terms of the environment, I live in a 2.5 story townhouse with a lot of neighbors also broadcasting wifi signals (I see over a dozen networks on my phones wifi signal strenght app).  The Orbi runs in router mode attached to my Arris Surfboard SB6183 cable modem.  IP service is from Spectrum.  I have about 8 devices on all of the time not including phones, laptops and TVs.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I assigned specific IP addresses to the devices that were on most or all of the time.  I use the range 148.192.168.0x for the Orbis, 148.192.168.1x for wired connections and start the DHCP range at 148.192.168.2x.  I do not use remote management.

The only issue I am currently having has to do with the list of devices that are not currently connected.  It reports almost every connection as having been wired when in fact they were wireless though one of the Orbi satellites.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 53 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working for you. 

Thats an odd IP address pool, however if it works for you. Smiley Wink

Is Daisy Chaing Disabled or Enabled on your router? If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. May effect how devices are being reported. I believe that this may fix your one issue...

@73Bruin wrote:

I have not had any issues in fact I did not know that my system was updated to this release until I checked after browsing the community site.  The update was seamless as no one complained about noticing an outage (there are 4 of us plus friends and other family).

In terms of the environment, I live in a 2.5 story townhouse with a lot of neighbors also broadcasting wifi signals (I see over a dozen networks on my phones wifi signal strenght app).  The Orbi runs in router mode attached to my Arris Surfboard SB6183 cable modem.  IP service is from Spectrum.  I have about 8 devices on all of the time not including phones, laptops and TVs.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I assigned specific IP addresses to the devices that were on most or all of the time.  I use the range 148.192.168.0x for the Orbis, 148.192.168.1x for wired connections and start the DHCP range at 148.192.168.2x.  I do not use remote management.

The only issue I am currently having has to do with the list of devices that are not currently connected.  It reports almost every connection as having been wired when in fact they were wireless though one of the Orbi satellites.

Message 54 of 251
73Bruin
Guide

I use specific IP asssignments because I wanted to avoid potential conflicts.  The wired devices in my configuration are either always on (e.g. Ooma, Roku) or where I want to set a specific IP for administration (my laptop in wired mode).

My system has Daisy Chaining enabled (and always has since that functionality was enabled) but the devices are separated far enough so that they don't chain.  I am looking at getting an additional RBS50 or 40 to speed up connectivity in our large kitchen), it would probably chain if I don't wired the boxes.

Message 55 of 251
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

What Furry means by "odd address pool" is that your internal LAN addresses are outside the ranges of standard internal addresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_addresses

Message 56 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the pool size? Try setting .100 to .200. That way you have some room on either side of the pool for Static IP addresses ON devices. 

The issue with Daisy Chain on this version of FW seems to be that when it's selected in the UI to be enabled, it's actually disabled. You should be ok for now with it enabled. NG is aware of this issue. 

@73Bruin wrote:

I use specific IP asssignments because I wanted to avoid potential conflicts.  The wired devices in my configuration are either always on (e.g. Ooma, Roku) or where I want to set a specific IP for administration (my laptop in wired mode).

My system has Daisy Chaining enabled (and always has since that functionality was enabled) but the devices are separated far enough so that they don't chain.  I am looking at getting an additional RBS50 or 40 to speed up connectivity in our large kitchen), it would probably chain if I don't wired the boxes.

Message 57 of 251
StevenYago
Tutor

My Orbi has been a solid performer until this weekend. The main router seems to shut down every 6 hours without any guidance from me. I went to trouble shoot it tonight and realized it had auto installed the latest firmware on the router and satellite.

It looks like the back haul has been compromised by the firmware. Up till now my satellite noted the back haul was good, but tonight it notes poor.

I can't stay up and deal with this tonight, so I'll call for support tomorrow when I return from work.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 58 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the base and satellite and set up from scratch...

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@StevenYago wrote:

My Orbi has been a solid performer until this weekend. The main router seems to shut down every 6 hours without any guidance from me. I went to trouble shoot it tonight and realized it had auto installed the latest firmware on the router and satellite.

It looks like the back haul has been compromised by the firmware. Up till now my satellite noted the back haul was good, but tonight it notes poor.

I can't stay up and deal with this tonight, so I'll call for support tomorrow when I return from work.

Message 59 of 251
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Decided to give router mode a go. Been a couple of days and everything working. no drop outs or disconnects. Didn't have to factory reset. Stayed with wireless backhaul as wired messes the GUI connected devices information. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya seems to be unexpected behavior.

If it works, Enjoy it. Smiley Wink

@BarryTreg wrote:

Hi,

I think I'll keep the other router there as things work atm in AP mode.

I did enable Daisy chain already after reading other posts. Wierd thing is when I look at the satellite's debug page, "disable daisy chain" is ticked and unable to be changed, whilst the router "enable daisy chain" is ticked.

Anyway, its working.!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There are some success when in router mode. Not everyone is using AP mode.

Yes, there showing up as connected to the Router instead of the satellite. This maybe a new change in behavior.

Also try enabling Daisy Chain. Others are seeing changes here which NG is looking into. Seem to be working in reverse for some reason.

I you have a router already in front of the Orbi then you can keep your current configuration. Unless you want to try the Orbi in router mode then you would need to remove the 1st router.

@BarryTreg wrote:

So, best not to go back to router mode even with this firmware update?

In AP  mode, wireless backhaul works 'as advertised' for me, but wired backhaul has same user interface issue of showing devices incorrectly as wired to Orbi Router and connected to Orbi router, even though the devices show up in the satellite's connected devices page.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 60 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Is Daisy Chain enabled? For this version FW, others say it should be since it seems the mode is operating in reverse. 

@BarryTreg wrote:

Decided to give router mode a go. Been a couple of days and everything working. no drop outs or disconnects. Didn't have to factory reset. Stayed with wireless backhaul as wired messes the GUI connected devices information. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya seems to be unexpected behavior.

If it works, Enjoy it. Smiley Wink

@BarryTreg wrote:

Hi,

I think I'll keep the other router there as things work atm in AP mode.

I did enable Daisy chain already after reading other posts. Wierd thing is when I look at the satellite's debug page, "disable daisy chain" is ticked and unable to be changed, whilst the router "enable daisy chain" is ticked.

Anyway, its working.!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There are some success when in router mode. Not everyone is using AP mode.

Yes, there showing up as connected to the Router instead of the satellite. This maybe a new change in behavior.

Also try enabling Daisy Chain. Others are seeing changes here which NG is looking into. Seem to be working in reverse for some reason.

I you have a router already in front of the Orbi then you can keep your current configuration. Unless you want to try the Orbi in router mode then you would need to remove the 1st router.

@BarryTreg wrote:

So, best not to go back to router mode even with this firmware update?

In AP  mode, wireless backhaul works 'as advertised' for me, but wired backhaul has same user interface issue of showing devices incorrectly as wired to Orbi Router and connected to Orbi router, even though the devices show up in the satellite's connected devices page.

Message 61 of 251
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Yes, daisy chain is enabled.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 62 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Should be ok. NG is aware of this issue. 

@BarryTreg wrote:

Yes, daisy chain is enabled.

Message 63 of 251
Orbi
Star

Would be nice if NG would stop autoupdating the firmware, everything was working smoothly with an old firmware I had and then this V2.2.1.210 happened automatically. Now my internet slows to a crawl then drops completely.  Something is definately wrong with the upload speeds as well, during a bandwidth speed tests upload went to zero.  This firmware is terrible. It keeps dropping my ipads, macs, android phones. 

Message 64 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Also try re-loading FW and doing a factory reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Orbi wrote:

Would be nice if NG would stop autoupdating the firmware, everything was working smoothly with an old firmware I had and then this V2.2.1.210 happened automatically. Now my internet slows to a crawl then drops completely.  Something is definately wrong with the upload speeds as well, during a bandwidth speed tests upload went to zero.  This firmware is terrible. It keeps dropping my ipads, macs, android phones. 

Message 65 of 251
StevenYago
Tutor

The Orbi is connected to an Arris TM822 Cable modem (Service is 200mb down/ 35 mb up)

I have a two-story 2,300 sg ft house. Router is on 1st floor and satellite is 2nd floor other side of house. The backhaul was good when it was first installed.

2.4 is auto (channel 4), 5 is on 48

Daisy chain & MIMO is active

Fast Roaming and IP6 is disabled

12 devices usually on network

My router is on router mode. Should that be changed to AP?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 66 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If your modem doesn't have a built in router, then the Orbi needs to be in router mode. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@StevenYago wrote:

The Orbi is connected to an Arris TM822 Cable modem (Service is 200mb down/ 35 mb up)

I have a two-story 2,300 sg ft house. Router is on 1st floor and satellite is 2nd floor other side of house. The backhaul was good when it was first installed.

2.4 is auto (channel 4), 5 is on 48

Daisy chain & MIMO is active

Fast Roaming and IP6 is disabled

12 devices usually on network

My router is on router mode. Should that be changed to AP?

Message 67 of 251
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

2.2.1.210 is working perfectly for me. All 3 Orbis updated fine except 1 satellite needed to be restarted. No factory reset required and all is well.

I find I need to amend my statement after living with .210 for a while.

My iPad Air 2 disconnects from WiFi about once a day, dropping the connection for up to 30 seconds before it reconnects. This is while the iPad is stationary in one place.

It's easy to see because I disable cellular data while at home (one less radio to use battery power), so the iPad complains of lost connection. Other than that, my setup is working well.

My Orbi router is in AP mode behind an Asus AC68U router, and my 2 satellites are connected via Cat5e cable.

Message 68 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? Should be enabled on this version of FW.

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

2.2.1.210 is working perfectly for me. All 3 Orbis updated fine except 1 satellite needed to be restarted. No factory reset required and all is well.

My iPad Air 2 disconnects from WiFi about once a day, dropping the connection for up to 30 seconds before it reconnects. This is while the iPad is stationary in one place.

It's easy to see because I disable cellular data while at home (one less radio to use battery power), so the iPad complains of lost connection. Other than that, my setup is working well.

My Orbi router is in AP mode behind an Asus AC68U router, and my 2 satellites are connected via Cat5e cable.

Message 69 of 251
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

I think I'll try one tweak at a time. If I change more than one parameter, I won't be able to determine which, if any, helped. I'll start with CTS/RTS threshold and see if that makes a difference. Sounds like (from net chatter) that might be the most likely to keep iPads from dropping WiFi.

Message 70 of 251
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

This firmware is more buggy than the beta. Router doesn't detect the Sat in wired.

Message 71 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and set up from scatch.

If your trying to get the satellite wired back haul, set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices. 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@toe wrote:

This firmware is more buggy than the beta. Router doesn't detect the Sat in wired.

Message 72 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

Well I'm REALLY annoyed right now. I never updated my old firmware because I never had issues. 31 LIFX lights and NEVER a dropped bulb. Recently I've noticed dropped bulbs. Couldn't figure out why all of a sudden i'm getting dropped connection. I come here to look at the latest firmware and see what people are saying..."dropped wifi connection"...hhuuuh. I go to look at my Orbi's firmware and somehow I'm at the latest firmware!!! HOW???? I never updated it. So annoyed right now that a bunch of my Lifx bulbs are dropped off randomly. Is there way to go back to old firmware?

Message 73 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

@vice86 wrote:

Well I'm REALLY annoyed right now. I never updated my old firmware because I never had issues. 31 LIFX lights and NEVER a dropped bulb. Recently I've noticed dropped bulbs. Couldn't figure out why all of a sudden i'm getting dropped connection. I come here to look at the latest firmware and see what people are saying..."dropped wifi connection"...hhuuuh. I go to look at my Orbi's firmware and somehow I'm at the latest firmware!!! HOW???? I never updated it. So annoyed right now that a bunch of my Lifx bulbs are dropped off randomly. Is there way to go back to old firmware?

If you updated via auto update, you might re-load FW and factory reset and setup from scratch;

Message 74 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

Uh boy...factory reset...does that mean I have to reconnect all of my 31 Lifx bulbs manually again or will they auto connect as long as the wifi network is still the same name. 

My main concern is how did the firmware update on its own. I've always been at old firmware and saw new firmware was available but never updated. I don't see any auto-update or never noticed the option. Only thing I noticed was that my router seemed to have rebooted itself after I installed the Orbi app on my phone and tried connecting to it....I think that's what happened from what I can remember...maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, the auto update somehow happened on its own without me setting it.

Message 75 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7