Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

As long as you use the same SSID name and PW, they will re-connect with out having to set them up again.

Also try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

NG has a auto update that they use to push FW to there products. Some have good experiences, some don't.

@vice86 wrote:

Uh boy...factory reset...does that mean I have to reconnect all of my 31 Lifx bulbs manually again or will they auto connect as long as the wifi network is still the same name. 

My main concern is how did the firmware update on its own. I've always been at old firmware and saw new firmware was available but never updated. I don't see any auto-update or never noticed the option. Only thing I noticed was that my router seemed to have rebooted itself after I installed the Orbi app on my phone and tried connecting to it....I think that's what happened from what I can remember...maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, the auto update somehow happened on its own without me setting it.

Message 76 of 251
ratb3rt
Tutor

Just want to update my post from 10/6. I had rolled back the firmware so my two Carrier Infinty Touch thermostats would connect since they would not with the new firmware. Well on 10/14 I got an email from the Carrier Server that my thermostats had not reported in for a while. I checked the router and found it had autoupdated to the new firmware. I disconncected the cable modem and tried to roll back the firmware again, but as soon as I connected the modem the router autoupdated the firmware again. TELL IT TO STOP AUTO UPDATING! I would but there is no way to turn it off. Horrible way to configure it. You HAVE to be able to roll back firmware when it breaks your network!                   I tried a factory reset but that did not help. I tried changing channels on the 2.4G network. I tried changing CTS/RTS threshold, changing MTU size, turning off 20/40 MHz coexistence. I tried turning off Daisy Chaining. All that did was give me a poor connection on the satellite furthest away. I do not have beam forming, MU-MIMO, or fast roaming enabled. I can get the thermostats to connect to the wifi by using the guest with no security, but they cannot connect to the Carrier server because it is not a secure connection. I need them to connect to the server for remote access and weather information, etc. I have never had anything like this happen in all the years I have had wireless. I have a $300 network router and I will have to add an access point to get my two thermostats back. All because I cannot roll back the firmware. What a joke.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 77 of 251
a221
Aspirant

Since the upgrade I need to powercycle the orbi frequently as devices loose internet access. They connect, but cannot get to the internet.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 78 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

Yep, super annoying that they just decided on their own to upgrade our firmware without our knowledge. It's screwed my devices up...and you can't even contact them thru their site without paying for support..der. All you can do is leave them a tweet but of course they wont reply to that either since it would be a free reply. 

Message 79 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@ratb3rt wrote:

Just want to update my post from 10/6. I had rolled back the firmware so my two Carrier Infinty Touch thermostats would connect since they would not with the new firmware. Well on 10/14 I got an email from the Carrier Server that my thermostats had not reported in for a while. I checked the router and found it had autoupdated to the new firmware. I disconncected the cable modem and tried to roll back the firmware again, but as soon as I connected the modem the router autoupdated the firmware again. TELL IT TO STOP AUTO UPDATING! I would but there is no way to turn it off. Horrible way to configure it. You HAVE to be able to roll back firmware when it breaks your network!                   I tried a factory reset but that did not help. I tried changing channels on the 2.4G network. I tried changing CTS/RTS threshold, changing MTU size, turning off 20/40 MHz coexistence. I tried turning off Daisy Chaining. All that did was give me a poor connection on the satellite furthest away. I do not have beam forming, MU-MIMO, or fast roaming enabled. I can get the thermostats to connect to the wifi by using the guest with no security, but they cannot connect to the Carrier server because it is not a secure connection. I need them to connect to the server for remote access and weather information, etc. I have never had anything like this happen in all the years I have had wireless. I have a $300 network router and I will have to add an access point to get my two thermostats back. All because I cannot roll back the firmware. What a joke.

@ratb3rt Carrier Infinity Touch Thermostats seem to only support 802.11b and only WPA2 security. Please make sure that you have 20/40 MHz coexistence turned ON and that you have security option WPA2-PSK (not WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]).

Message 80 of 251
ratb3rt
Tutor

@ekhalil

I have the correct wireless security option and 20/40 coexistence is on. Every version of firmware since 11/17 has worked fine, until now.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 81 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@ratb3rt wrote:

@ekhalil

I have the correct wireless security option and 20/40 coexistence is on. Every version of firmware since 11/17 has worked fine, until now.

@ratb3rt Can you please -just for testing purposes- test to change your wifi password to a simpler one and test if there will be any change, and then set your original password back. NG might have changed something in security handling in the latest patch?

I see that Carrier Infinity Touch thermostat has similar issues with many other products like Eero, Lynksys, D-link, so it's not only Orbi 🙂

Message 82 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@vice86 wrote:

Yep, super annoying that they just decided on their own to upgrade our firmware without our knowledge. It's screwed my devices up...and you can't even contact them thru their site without paying for support..der. All you can do is leave them a tweet but of course they wont reply to that either since it would be a free reply. 

Message 83 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

What Mfr and model # modem are you using with the Orbi?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@a221 wrote:

Since the upgrade I need to powercycle the orbi frequently as devices loose internet access. They connect, but cannot get to the internet.

Message 84 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

@ratb3rt wrote:

Message 85 of 251
caremd99
Aspirant

The system has been up for almost 13 days. No noticible performance issues but the router gui shows one of the satellites in perpetual config sync and one of the devices on an unknown satellite (happens to be actually connected to the other satellite) and unknown connection type. Checking on both satellite gui's shows connections all ok and all connected devices properly identified with known connection types.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 86 of 251
ratb3rt
Tutor

@vice86

The only way to get help after 90 days is to submit a ticket for an RMA if you are within the 1 year warranty period. Then they will try and help you over the phone. I had someone who had me change some settings, none of which worked of course. After that she was done with me.

Bottom line, there were three things that she cared about.

1.Could I connect to the router through a browser.

2. Was there internet access.

3. Were the satellites on line.

After that you are on your own. If nothing connects to the router, too bad.

About autoupdating the firmware, her line was "you have to auto update to get the best speed. If you roll back it won't be as fast", or something like that. I never had a speed issue, so don't know if that was a company line or her own made up BS.

Message 87 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

@caremd99 wrote:

The system has been up for almost 13 days. No noticible performance issues but the router gui shows one of the satellites in perpetual config sync and one of the devices on an unknown satellite (happens to be actually connected to the other satellite) and unknown connection type. Checking on both satellite gui's shows connections all ok and all connected devices properly identified with known connection types.

Message 88 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

I feel like a dummy now. Netgear tweeted me back with a link to download old firmware. I download 1.10 firmware that I last used that I know had no issues. I also uninstalled  the Orbi app from my phone. 

Downgraded and like magic all my Lifx bulbs are connected again. Installed the app and noticed an "upgrade" button next to the satellite that I don't remember noticing before and maybe...just maybe I clicked on it and actually set off the update to the latest my firmware myself lol. This time I made sure not to touch it. So after all that auto-update conspiracy talk, i probably did it myself by accident. 

I will wait and see. I just downgraded 20 mins ago so we'll see if I stay at the 1.10 FW i'm at now without issues. 

Message 89 of 251

@ratb3rt wrote:

Just want to update my post from 10/6. I had rolled back the firmware so my two Carrier Infinty Touch thermostats would connect since they would not with the new firmware. Well on 10/14 I got an email from the Carrier Server that my thermostats had not reported in for a while. I checked the router and found it had autoupdated to the new firmware.  [...]

Sorry to hear you're having issues, but thanks for the dates. I've been having issues since 10/13, and while I don't know for sure when it auto-updated, the timeframe seems to match nicely here.

I run a continuous ping from my wired network to the satellite, and am experiencing frequent and crazy packet loss since then 😞

router is running 2.2.1.210, satellite is running 2.2.1.204_1.0.5

I've just re-enabled daisy-chaining but why would it matter for a simple setup like this? anyways, we shall see.

Does anyone know where the auto-updates are downloaded from? I just want to blackhole that traffic and save myself the pain of my wife and kids coming to me to fix the WiFi that Netgear has once again screwed up.

Message 90 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

Try this as well:

@UnhappyOrbiUser wrote:

@ratb3rt wrote:

Just want to update my post from 10/6. I had rolled back the firmware so my two Carrier Infinty Touch thermostats would connect since they would not with the new firmware. Well on 10/14 I got an email from the Carrier Server that my thermostats had not reported in for a while. I checked the router and found it had autoupdated to the new firmware.  [...]

Sorry to hear you're having issues, but thanks for the dates. I've been having issues since 10/13, and while I don't know for sure when it auto-updated, the timeframe seems to match nicely here.

I run a continuous ping from my wired network to the satellite, and am experiencing frequent and crazy packet loss since then 😞

router is running 2.2.1.210, satellite is running 2.2.1.204_1.0.5

I've just re-enabled daisy-chaining but why would it matter for a simple setup like this? anyways, we shall see.

Does anyone know where the auto-updates are downloaded from? I just want to blackhole that traffic and save myself the pain of my wife and kids coming to me to fix the WiFi that Netgear has once again screwed up.

Message 91 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

i read someone saying add downloads.netgear.com to your blocked list. 

Although my FW hasn't updated since downgrading...and if you read any of my replied I realized I must have updated my FW by accident and didn't notice...nothing to do with auto-updating for me.

Message 92 of 251
franktribe
Apprentice

No issues. It did an autoupdate. everything came back online just fine. The issue I see, which is very minor, is that I didn't know it was going to update and it took my internet down for a couple minutes while it updated. I didn't even know an update was being released. But, all is well. I still really like my Orbi. I think it would be nice to know when an update is being released, maybe through the mobile app or something. I don't check the forums often unless I am trying to figure something out. And if they send en email, I doubt I will read it. I think a notification on the mobile app would be best.

Message 93 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Somethign to be aware of if you experience any problems with your Orbi system. If its working for now. You'll be fine. 

@franktribe wrote:

No issues. It did an autoupdate. everything came back online just fine. The issue I see, which is very minor, is that I didn't know it was going to update and it took my internet down for a couple minutes while it updated. I didn't even know an update was being released. But, all is well. I still really like my Orbi. I think it would be nice to know when an update is being released, maybe through the mobile app or something. I don't check the forums often unless I am trying to figure something out. And if they send en email, I doubt I will read it. I think a notification on the mobile app would be best.

Message 94 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@franktribe wrote:

.... But, all is well. I still really like my Orbi. 

Orbi is good when it works! It takes much effort to get it working. 

Seems Orbi is sensitive to many things (surrounding radio, interfaced products, modem types,....) which simply means that the verification process at Netgear has some flaws. The product should have been tested with many scenarios and interface combinations before it's released.

But again, Orbi is perfect once you get it to work!

Message 95 of 251
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Lowering Orbi's CTS/RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307 seems to have ended my iPad's daily dropping of WiFi.

Now the next part of the experiment will be to set it back to 2347 and see if the WiFi drops return...

Message 96 of 251
ratb3rt
Tutor

@ekhalil

I don't know if that suggestion was genuine or a red herring. The password has to have 8 characters regardless. So mine was pretty simple but I reduced it to 8 characters. No change. Please don't bring up that the thermostat is having issues with other routers without details. It's just hearsay if you don't. I added my Asus RT-AC66 to my network as an AP, updated to the latest firmware and no issues connecting my Carrier Infinity Touch thermostats. And if there was an issue, I could roll back the firmware on the Asus router!

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 97 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds good. Let us know what you find out. Seems like something is happening here with these settings and Apple devices. I presume this mabye a issue in FW or possible both problem with NG FW and Apple iOS. Something both NG and Apple should look into. 

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Lowering Orbi's CTS/RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307 seems to have ended my iPad's daily dropping of WiFi.

Now the next part of the experiment will be to set it back to 2347 and see if the WiFi drops return...

Message 98 of 251
Den_
Guide

I have exactly the same problem. I've not had any issues at all (over 12 months) until the latest firmware update. Even though I use my router as an access point I now constantly lose internet connection and have to either power cycle the router and satalite, or turn off and on the WiFi on my phone/tablet/TV to get it working again.
Message 99 of 251
milk242
Tutor

I bought this thing when it first came out, preordered through crutchfield. I believe the model was called RBK50 that came with both satellite and router. Until this firmware, I've never had an issue and have always just let the thing auto update. This time, it caused a few hiccups, a bunch of my random devices all of a sudden got blocked by access control even though they were allowed before. Also why does the RBW30 not get the latest firmware?

Message 100 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7