Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

nanohead
Guide

Not a surprise....   I can sit and literally watch the status page of the Satellite change from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz to no Ghz.   Ironically, when I hit the reply to this post button just now, the satellite, which I'm hard wired to, cut out and went dark.  It then bounced back on, then off, then on.

This is clearly a technical problem in firmware of the Orbi.  The thing wasn't cheap either.  We use it in our cabin in the mountains.  In our house, we have Ubiquiti, and I have zero problems with it that are of consequence.  

Message 126 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between router and satellite. to begin with depending upon building materials. 20 feet is too close. 

@nanohead wrote:

Thanks for the response, but those suggestions aren't useful unfortunately.  The modem has zero to do with the satellite having mood swings,  and it worked fine for years before I put in the schizo Orbi.  The house is fairly small, and the satellite is maybe 20 feet away a couple of floors up, with very little in the way.   Even the cheap router I used to use made had plenty of signal throughout the house, so distance is not an issue.

The problem is the satellite, which is why I bought the thing in the first place.  The core router part of the Orbi works fine most of the time, its the backhaul/satellite that is completely inconsistent.    And that dopey Daisy Chaining thing was no help either. Enabled and disabled it several times and tested and it still did the same thing.

Message 127 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Others are saying the Daisy Chain isn't working correctly as intended:

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-doesn-t-work-with-Chromecast-Please-help/m-p/1652882/high...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installation-Problem-setting-up-Orbi-with-ATT-DSL/m-p/1655485/...

@UnhappyOrbiUser wrote:

I can now report with 100% certainty that disabling/enabling "Daisy Chaining" does absolutely nothing. (Not surprising really, I've got a router with a single satellite, that feature is irrelevant. "This feature only applies if you have three or more Orbi.") That suggestion seemed like voodoo to me, and it is.

When I started having problems with .210, I came here to see if it was just me, and clearly it isn't. After I enabled Daisy Chaining, things were good for about a week, and it's gone to hell again. Here are my overnight stats, when nothing's using the WiFi:

2018-10-28 00:22:21 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3603 packets=3558 lost=1172 loss=32.9% losses=239 downtime=1223s
2018-10-28 01:22:39 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3618 packets=3536 lost=2103 loss=59.5% losses=170 downtime=2191s
2018-10-28 02:22:40 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3534 lost=1615 loss=45.7% losses=64 downtime=1687s
2018-10-28 03:27:48 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3908 packets=3830 lost=1834 loss=47.9% losses=30 downtime=1914s
2018-10-28 04:27:48 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3546 lost=1433 loss=40.4% losses=242 downtime=1492s
2018-10-28 05:27:49 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3527 lost=1839 loss=52.1% losses=171 downtime=1932s
2018-10-28 06:27:51 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3601 packets=3555 lost=1145 loss=32.2% losses=240 downtime=1200s
2018-10-28 07:31:52 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3841 packets=3751 lost=2282 loss=60.8% losses=170 downtime=2379s
2018-10-28 09:02:38 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=5445 packets=5265 lost=4575 loss=86.9% losses=64 downtime=4759s

I'm tempted to just reboot the router and see if that gives me another week of peace.

Gonna lower RTS/CTS first.

Message 128 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. So try running the router along and see if the problem continues. And sure Daisy Chain IS check marked. 

@nanohead wrote:

Not a surprise....   I can sit and literally watch the status page of the Satellite change from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz to no Ghz.   Ironically, when I hit the reply to this post button just now, the satellite, which I'm hard wired to, cut out and went dark.  It then bounced back on, then off, then on.

This is clearly a technical problem in firmware of the Orbi.  The thing wasn't cheap either.  We use it in our cabin in the mountains.  In our house, we have Ubiquiti, and I have zero problems with it that are of consequence.  

Message 129 of 251
Daniel_K
Aspirant

I'm an IT consultant. I installed the RBK50 system over one year ago for a client. My client's video streaming became largely unusable around the time of the .210 release. I visited my client a few days ago. The wireless backhaul was "poor." I restarted the satellite and streaming worked fine again. By the evening, the problems started up again. After the satellite was unplugged, streaming worked fine again.

I noticed that after restarting the satellite, the ring turned magenta before it turned blue. I never recall it doing that before the .210 release.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 130 of 251

Anyone else having issues with the VPN implementation? I have to keep disabling then re-enabling it to work. When it's "not working" I can still login to the VPN and access devices on my home network, but I can't connect to anything outside of it. I have the VPN set to "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" and when I enable the VPN server it will work for a few minutes, but then out of what seems like nowhere will kill the connection to the internet and give me only access to the home network. If I disable and re-enable the VPN then it works again for a bit. 

Didn't have this problem before 2.2.1.210.

Also REALLY frustrating that the update was forced AGAIN. With this VPN issue and the fact that Netgear keeps forcing these updates, I'm really considering going back to my Amplifi system.

Message 131 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@Daniel_K wrote:

I'm an IT consultant. I installed the RBK50 system over one year ago for a client. My client's video streaming became largely unusable around the time of the .210 release. I visited my client a few days ago. The wireless backhaul was "poor." I restarted the satellite and streaming worked fine again. By the evening, the problems started up again. After the satellite was unplugged, streaming worked fine again.

I noticed that after restarting the satellite, the ring turned magenta before it turned blue. I never recall it doing that before the .210 release.

This software seems to have issues with some wired devices. If you have any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos) wired to Orbi, please test to disconnect them and see if you will see improvements.

Wired Sonos seem to cause IP loops over time which will degrade the system performance and will consequently cause different "strange" issues.

Message 132 of 251
ratb3rt
Tutor

I have used the instructions on post 105 on the link below to stop auto updating. Well, for the last 5 days anyway. Before when I rolled back the firmware, it auto updated immediately after connecting to the cable modem. 

There are a couple of things to mention. There is a line orbi_auto_upg=0 in the OP. In my router it was set to =1. I didn't notice it at first, and my router updated even after setting the other lines to =0. I found another post that mentioned this, so be sure to set this like the others to =0 if it is not already. Also the line orbi_auto_upgrade may have a value greater than 1 when you start. Just set it to =0. Thirdly the OP says in step 6 not to put a space after "set". That did not work for me. I put a space in and the command worked. 

Now when I log into the router I see a notice that there is new firmware, but it does not auto update. Hooray! My Carrier Infinity Touch thermostats are connecting again and I don't need an additional AP!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 133 of 251
sufus
Initiate

The auto-update of firmware 2.2.1.210 bricked my router.  Fortunately a manual TFTP load of the firmware got it back up and running.  This firmware version has caused major internet connectivity issues.  All wired and wireless devices lose internet connectivity for several minutes, multiple times a day.  It is not my ISP or any of the associated hardware.

Message 134 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried to disable the Auto Update on the Orbi? 

@sufus wrote:

The auto-update of firmware 2.2.1.210 bricked my router.  Fortunately a manual TFTP load of the firmware got it back up and running.  This firmware version has caused major internet connectivity issues.  All wired and wireless devices lose internet connectivity for several minutes, multiple times a day.  It is not my ISP or any of the associated hardware.

Message 135 of 251
AC641
Luminary

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

I updated my RBR50 and RBS50 manually on 03 Oct.  I had no issues with the previous firmware except that I used to see occasional momentary loss of WiFi on my iPad when it was conected to the satellite.  So far I have not seen this with the updated firmware but I think it's too early to say that it has definitely been eradicated.

There it is!  The issue I have been experiencing with my iPad momentarily disconnecting from WiFi when supposedly connected to the satellite has just occurred.  v2.2.1.210 still has this issue present for me.  I can't tell and haven't investigated whether it happens with other devices as I don't routinely have other WiFi devices connected to the Satellite except security cameras and my iPhone and I'm not using these for extended periods unlike the iPad.

For the past week or so I have been experiencing loss of internet connectivity - approximately once a day.  This is definitely an issue with the Orbi Router and not the modem as I have proved that the modem is still connected and accessible when internet connectivity is lost.  I have changed Ethernet cable but no change.  A reboot of the Router or modem rectifies the issue.

Message 136 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@AC641 wrote:

For the past week or so I have been experiencing loss of internet connectivity - approximately once a day.  This is definitely an issue with the Orbi Router and not the modem as I have proved that the modem is still connected and accessible when internet connectivity is lost.  I have changed Ethernet cable but no change.  A reboot of the Router or modem rectifies the issue.

@AC641, This can very much be caused by wired devices.

This software seems to have issues with some wired devices. If you have any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos) wired to Orbi, please test to disconnect them and see if you will see improvements.

Wired Sonos seem to -in certain conditions- cause IP loops over time which will degrade the system performance and will consequently cause different "strange" issues.

Message 137 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using Dynamic or reserved IP addresses for your devices? 

What is the pool size if your DHCP server? 

Using default DNS or custom DNS? 

Have you manually re-loaded FW on the entire system again, set up from scratch to see if the problem continues? 

How are you determining the modem is working? 

Please refresh our memory on the Mfr and model# of your modem. I don't recall what you have. 

Are both wireless and wired connections down thru the Orbi when this happens? 

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

I updated my RBR50 and RBS50 manually on 03 Oct.  I had no issues with the previous firmware except that I used to see occasional momentary loss of WiFi on my iPad when it was conected to the satellite.  So far I have not seen this with the updated firmware but I think it's too early to say that it has definitely been eradicated.

There it is!  The issue I have been experiencing with my iPad momentarily disconnecting from WiFi when supposedly connected to the satellite has just occurred.  v2.2.1.210 still has this issue present for me.  I can't tell and haven't investigated whether it happens with other devices as I don't routinely have other WiFi devices connected to the Satellite except security cameras and my iPhone and I'm not using these for extended periods unlike the iPad.

Message 138 of 251
AC641
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you manually re-loaded FW on the entire system again, set up from scratch to see if the problem continues? 

Please refresh our memory on the Mfr and model# of your modem. I don't recall what you have. 

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

To answer your (and ekhalil's) questions:

- I have several items with reserved IP addresses (5 currently) and around 12 devices that are assigned IP address dynamically by the router.

- The DHCP pool size is 150

- Deafult DNS currently though I've tried Google's DNS servers; it make no difference.

- Both wired and wireless intenet connectivity goes down.

- I do have several Sonos speakers but they ARE NOT hard wired.

- My modem is the Netgear LB2120 4G modem operating in Bridge Mode.  I get my home broadband via a 4G mobile/cell network.  I know the modem is working for two reasons: I can connect my laptop via Ethernet and its connected.  Additionally, I can connect (via IP) to the modem fom my desktop and send a text to my mobile showing that it is connected.

-  I haven't yet done a full install and reconfigure of the firmware and won't get the time to do this for several days.

Message 139 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, 

You might set up the ISP modem for router mode and change the Orbi to AP mode and test to see if the Orbi still looses the conntection. You can try router mode as well with the Orbi if you want. Just use DMZ on the ISP modem for the Orbi. 

When you get time, I would also do a full manual re-load of the FW as well and start from scratch if the above suggestion also fails. If this fails as well with continued disconnections from the ISP modem, would contact NG support and get an RMA. 

@AC641

- I have several items with reserved IP addresses (5 currently) and around 12 devices that are assigned IP address dynamically by the router.

- Deafult DNS currently though I've tried Google's DNS servers; it make no difference.

- My modem is the Netgear LB2120 4G modem operating in Bridge Mode.  I get my home broadband via a 4G mobile/cell network.  I know the modem is working for two reasons: I can connect my laptop via Ethernet and its connected.  Additionally, I can connect (via IP) to the modem fom my desktop and send a text to my mobile showing that it is connected.

-  I haven't yet done a full install and reconfigure of the firmware and won't get the time to do this for several days.

Message 140 of 251

Just adding to the data

RBR50+RBS50, router mode, wireless backhaul. Xfinity gigabit-ish speed service, with an SB8200 cable modem.   Everything worked great until 2.2.1.210 was pushed to me.

After I got the auto-update, my RBR50 started rebooting every few hours.

A manual update and factory reset cleared up that problem for about a week.  However, while I was out of town yesterday, my wife complained "the internet is down".  She wasn't willing to troubleshoot, so I had her cycle power on the power strip both are connected to.

I got back late last night, and during the day today, I've been plagued by the reboot issue again.  Since we rely on PSVue to keep the wife entertained, and I have VOIP phones for work...this is not a good situation.

I'm going to be poking through recent posts to see which firmware I should roll back to and how to block the auto-updates.

Generally I believe that auto-updates are a good concept, given the issues caused by folks who don't stay up to date with security patches.  So it's worth noting that debacles like this actually do a significant amount of harm, by turning people against the auto-update concept.

Message 141 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if reverting back and blocking updates works for you...

@MikeTheActuary wrote:

Just adding to the data

RBR50+RBS50, router mode, wireless backhaul. Xfinity gigabit-ish speed service, with an SB8200 cable modem.   Everything worked great until 2.2.1.210 was pushed to me.

After I got the auto-update, my RBR50 started rebooting every few hours.

A manual update and factory reset cleared up that problem for about a week.  However, while I was out of town yesterday, my wife complained "the internet is down".  She wasn't willing to troubleshoot, so I had her cycle power on the power strip both are connected to.

I got back late last night, and during the day today, I've been plagued by the reboot issue again.  Since we rely on PSVue to keep the wife entertained, and I have VOIP phones for work...this is not a good situation.

I'm going to be poking through recent posts to see which firmware I should roll back to and how to block the auto-updates.

Generally I believe that auto-updates are a good concept, given the issues caused by folks who don't stay up to date with security patches.  So it's worth noting that debacles like this actually do a significant amount of harm, by turning people against the auto-update concept.

Message 142 of 251
sycshk
Aspirant

I have similar issues with you guys. I had auto update on, and after updating, it started to be unstable. I never check my router but these days, connections are unstable. Sometimes, signal is there on the client but there's no bandwidth because the satellites backhaul isn't good. Network map changes from green to yellow and yellow to green. Keeps fluctuating.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 143 of 251
Ewsv
Aspirant

Has anyone experienced sudden problems with "unable to connect to network" after the update? 

Message 144 of 251
Ewsv
Aspirant

Extremely annoying and the kids are complaining as it is affecting their school work. Just as well I have a secondary wifi network system as backup......never trusting fully these relatively new stuff in the market

Message 145 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try a Manual FW load:

@sycshk wrote:

I have similar issues with you guys. I had auto update on, and after updating, it started to be unstable. I never check my router but these days, connections are unstable. Sometimes, signal is there on the client but there's no bandwidth because the satellites backhaul isn't good. Network map changes from green to yellow and yellow to green. Keeps fluctuating.

Message 146 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try a Manual FW load:

@Ewsv wrote:

Extremely annoying and the kids are complaining as it is affecting their school work. Just as well I have a secondary wifi network system as backup......never trusting fully these relatively new stuff in the market

Message 147 of 251
JeroenM
Guide

Did every options mentioned on this community.

Factory reset, manually update router and sattelites. checked every box on and off.

It's kinda stable (with almost every intelligent technology off), but when i stream a couple of wifi ipcams, the wifi falls down. (they use 200 - 300 kb stream so it should manage this).

So i think there is still a bug in the firmware which tears down the wifi when the load is getting bigger.

So people @netgear, please fix it in an update.

Message 148 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.

@JeroenM wrote:

Did every options mentioned on this community.

Factory reset, manually update router and sattelites. checked every box on and off.

It's kinda stable (with almost every intelligent technology off), but when i stream a couple of wifi ipcams, the wifi falls down. (they use 200 - 300 kb stream so it should manage this).

So i think there is still a bug in the firmware which tears down the wifi when the load is getting bigger.

So people @netgear, please fix it in an update.

Message 149 of 251
AC641
Luminary

@AC641 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

Due to re-sighhting the Orbi Router some weeks ago I am now able to get a good wireless backhaul from the Router to the Satellite but had maintained the wired backhaul.  Three days ago I unplugged the wired backhaul and went to wireless (Status = Good).  Guess what; not a single lock-up since.  It's a bit early to say that it's definitely cured the issue but it's promising.

Message 150 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7