Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

FURRYe38
Guru

I don't remember if you have tried this or not:

Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@AC641 wrote:

Following on from previous posts in this threads I thought I'd update on my issues that are still apparent despite a factory reset.

I was seeing internet dropouts (both WiFi and wired) approximately once a day.  Removing the wired bachaul and going back to wireless has completely cured this.  I have had zero dropouts in the 10 days or so since I did this.

Following a factory reset I still have the following issues:

- Philips Hue issues are back with Routines simply not activating/deactivating.

- Momentary WiFi dropouts are still seen on my iPad when connected to the satellite i.e. the iPad drops the WiFi symbol and there's no connectivity.  It comes back after a few seconds.

Message 176 of 251

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. 

Message 177 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@dkleinknecht wrote:

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. 

Message 178 of 251
Azel80
Tutor

Betreff: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

Anybody knows, when they plan to release another firmware?

The .210 is simply crap... It's the first time I have major issues with Orbi (RBR40) since buying it half a year ago. Since two weeks my satellite (RBW30) has poor performance, although I didn't change any settings.

Tried downgrading (worked fine, but than there's the annoying auto-update), factory reset. Watching anything on the TV is a no go...

If they don't fix this soon, I'll probably need to sell the Orbi, as it's useluess for me now.

Message 179 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't post when new FW will be forth coming. 

You can try to block autoupdate:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-firmware-V2-2-1-210-update-slows-WAN-speed-with-30-...

@Azel80 wrote:

Anybody knows, when they plan to release another firmware?

The .210 is simply crap... It's the first time I have major issues with Orbi (RBR40) since buying it half a year ago. Since two weeks my satellite (RBW30) has poor performance, although I didn't change any settings.

Tried downgrading (worked fine, but than there's the annoying auto-update), factory reset. Watching anything on the TV is a no go...

If they don't fix this soon, I'll probably need to sell the Orbi, as it's useluess for me now.

Message 180 of 251
Flash008
Luminary

For Orbi Pro customers,

They need to provide a time frame. ASAP!!’

I have worked in I.T. For 20 years.

ALL tech business product makers understand they must communicate and provide status of problem resolution.

Anything less and business customers take their money else where.

Another reason business product makers DO NOT force software updates on their customers.

NETGEAR OWES A SPEEDY FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR ORBI PRO CUSTOMERS WITH “fixes” TO THESE PROBLEMS.

Or, a rollback in the update servers! Allowing us to go back to 204 and not be “forcefully” updated back to 210.

Or, a 204 build repackage for build 210. Simply slipstream the 204 code into 210.

Netgear has options to fix this TODAY, and their “choice” to not fix this today or this weekend should speak LOUDLY to all Netgear customers.
Message 181 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Router Mfrs don't post when FW updates are forth coming. Been like this for a long time. 

Just have to keep an eye out on there download support site. 

Message 182 of 251
Flash008
Luminary

I would respectfully disagree with you.

I have witnessed and been part of MANY small and large manufacturers of network and non-network gear openly communicate the timeline and transparent info of “hotfixes”. We have all witnessed this over our life and even witnessed OEMs making public releases via the media as to hotfix timelines.

My comment was not to imply Netgear provide their internal future plans and product roadmaps, etc...But....when you break an existing product and its impacts are largely reported and the “break” impacts products beyond your own....ummmm....yeah.....you use your forum, email distribution list and/or other forms of communication to inform your impacted customers of timeline for resolution.

Failure to provide that communication and timeline only communicates one thing...”WE DON’T CARE”....
Message 183 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 184 of 251

An update to my earlier update --

I had rolled back to .146 and thought I had blocked the auto-updates.

Just got home to a rebooting Orbi.  Apparently it auto-updated back to .210.

I'll re-downgrade.  This is extremely annoying.

Message 185 of 251

Has anyone else had issues with the nvram commands not being as "sticky" as they should be?

Since I made my last post, I've had to downgrade my RBR50 and RBS50 twice, even after setting and committing the nvram settings (including the newer orbi_auto_upg) to supposedly block auto-updates.

While I have not tested this fully (I'm trying to get some work done without the corporate VPN getting disconnected every couple of hours), the behavior is almost as if the Orbi triggers a flag for an auto-update once it learns that firmware updates are available, as it tends to do if you have gone to the firmware update page in the Advanced menu.

I'm hoping that re-resetting the nvram settings after an update is detected, and then simply not going back to that section in the Orbi settings will do it.

....and while typing this message, my Orbi just auto-updated back to .210.

I think I'm going to go check and see if I'm in some kind of warranty/return period, and figure out what I need to order from Ubiquiti.  I've wasted too much time on this already, and as a telecommuter, I can't risk my corporate VPN or VOIP going down every couple of hours.

Message 186 of 251
LycanChief
Star

I downgraded over a week ago and did the Telnet commands. Apparently today, NetGear force the upgrade on my unit.   Aparently is not scape of this horror.... I am close to start a class action again the company.... 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 187 of 251
LycanChief
Star

I am mad, and calling right now support and creating a complain... this is out of hand, from the bigining of october.. They dont look at their community and see this is a major issue....

I downgraded over a week ago, did the telnet commands to the nvram, everything was working perfectly until today, aparently they force the upgrade to .210....I am calling.... No way to disable autoupdate aparently

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 188 of 251
LycanChief
Star

Great, they hang-up on me! Class Action Sude! Anyone!

Message 189 of 251
JeroenM
Guide

Hmmmmm mine is also back to 210.

I also blocked auto update with telnet.

That's why my wifi was so bad today.

Message 190 of 251
ekhalil
Master

In 2.2.1.210 Netgear has fixed issues related to wired backhaul and I guess that this might have affected the sensitivity of the system to wired devices.

I'm saying this because I had all different types of issues with this release when it first came out in October: Wifi drops, no internet, worst internet speed, ... etc. I simply could not work from home becaue of my bad wifi at that time.

When I dosconnected the wired devices connected to the Satellite all issues were solved at once. I found out then that my wired speakers -for some reason- caused all issues.

I have now the best wifi network I've ever had, a very stable network with excellent coverage.

Please troubleshoot you issues by looking at your configuration and try to locate where the problems are. Look specifically at your wired devices. try first to disconnect all wired devices and if you see improvement, try to connect them back one by one to find the culprits.

Message 191 of 251
LycanChief
Star

Sorry, but sound sad, that you must disconnect your equipment to get everything working that was working perfectly before .210

Message 192 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@JeroenM wrote:

Hmmmmm mine is also back to 210.

I also blocked auto update with telnet.

That's why my wifi was so bad today.

Message 193 of 251
Flash008
Luminary

Is Netgear going to do ANYTHING to help, or just ignore and provide ridiculous “suggestions” of “try to disable daisy chain”....”try factory reset”....”change your radio channel”...etc, etc, etc...unplug your product you paid $1000 or more for and see is that helps (LOL)....???!

Or maybe....

REMOVE 210 FROM THE UPDATE SERVERS, LET US DOWNGRADE TO 204 AND PROVIDE SOME IDEA OF “WHEN A FIX WILL BE PROVIDED?!!!!!”

Even APPLE, which rarely admits to bad updates, removes updates when they hear its causing problem....E.G....Apple Watch OS 5.1....

This is truly sad of Netgear.

Very, very....sad....
Message 194 of 251
LycanChief
Star

100% agreed, I just downgraded again! And Modify the nvram again! Will see how it goes...I have a case open with support…. I just want to know if anyone that have issues had call and complain… apparently NG don’t care about their community or they don’t read anything…

Message 195 of 251
LycanChief
Star

We all have done this, too many times, again disable features that where working before is not a good way to fix it... Just pull out the firmware and stop auto update until NG fix the issue!

Message 196 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

Or easier, stop auto-updating our Orbi systems!!! I still don't understand why they started auto-updating us. Luckily all my LIfx bulbs are ok now on the latest firmware but stop with the auto-updates. I want to update on my terms.

Message 197 of 251
czar4you
Aspirant

Configuration:

(ISP) ROGERS 1GB -> (ROUTER/MODEM) CODA-4582U 2a -> ORBI

Problem: Unable to get stable 600mbit+ connection via CAT6e network cable when connected to ORBI. If connected directly to CODA-4582U 2a, then I get stable 950mbit+ speed is achieved.

For testing i have utilized fast.com & speedtest.net

Things attempted when troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded to latest firmware V2.2.1.210 and performed factory reset. (NO DIFFERENCE)

2) Downgraded firmware to V2.1.2.18 and factory reset (No difference)

3) Modified CODA-4582U 2a settings from bridge mode to router, and Orbi as Access point. (with this method i wanted to minimize the load on orbi with firewall, dhcp and other items disabled) (NO DIFFERENCE)

4) Disabled IPV6 on CODA-4582U 2a (NO DIFFERENCE)

5) Introduced cisco switch in between CODA-4582U 2a and orbi (NO DIFFERENCE) 6) QoS page seems broken/not designed for newer version of bootstrap/css/html. I attempted to delete all, /QOS_rule.htm, enable/disable via http://orbilogin.com/QOS_main.htm (NO DIFFERENCE)

Message 198 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@LycanChief wrote:

Sorry, but sound sad, that you must disconnect your equipment to get everything working that was working perfectly before .210

Yes, not that optimum for me, but at least I solved my issue and now have a great wifi. I have the speakers connected wirelessly to Orbi and working great since the wifi coverage is excellent. 

I’m saying this to tell you that Orbi is working for some people, the Orbi firmware is not perfect yet for sure, and seems very sensitive to ccertain conncted devices. I hope that NG will fix this soon. 

I meant that with some troubleshooting, everyone can locate where the problems are, get Orbi working and get the best out of it. This will also help NG fix the right things in the coming software releases. 

Message 199 of 251
JeroenM
Guide

After again disappointed kids because the rented online movie keeped stopping (on a smart tv with a LAN cable connected), called our cable internet provider to switch the modem back to router modus (i was on bridge modus, as i hoped the orbi system could handle all the router "things").

So now back on the (ziggo) modem & router and switched Orbi to AP modus.

@FURRYe38 did all the things you suggested here (and also other tips on other topics).

My conclusion: The 210 firmware of Orbi can't handle big streams Lan or Wlan

Message 200 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7