Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

mastervisa30
Luminary

Back again my orbi uppdated its self last night,and my iphone lost wifi many times this morning connections to wifi and my computer was offline and have lost internett connections,have to restart nettworks card on computerand its working again.

NOW i have to downgrade to V2.1.4.16 again,and then its working to next uppdate.

The new firmware is bad:( when im using my orbi system on firmwareV2.1.4.16 everything is working great:)intill its uppdating its self to latest firmware V2.2.1.210.

So no i have to downgrade to V2.1.4.16 one time in a week.

STOP auto when this new firmware is buggyyy.

Its all working so great on V2.1.4.16 i want to stay on V2.1.4.16 no problems at home.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 226 of 251
gpark3
Initiate

Firmware 2.2.1.210 applied, both router and satellite report the same version, satellite will no longer connect.

Google WiFi installed at the same time with 2 satellites vs 1 for the Orbi has been functioning without issue after multiple updates.

It’s a shame that the Orbi which seems to have so much promise is so unreliable, I’ll be calling support tomorrow as nothing I’ve done so far will resync the satellite with the base
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 227 of 251
AustinNative
Initiate

I have a similar problem. Any solutions yet?

Message 228 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the system. if this fails, 

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
What WPA security modes are you using? Try using WPA2 and AES only. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@AustinNative wrote:

I have a similar problem. Any solutions yet?

Message 229 of 251
njweb
Luminary

Update - I have been on this 2.2.1.210 firmware since October and my wifi connection has been rock solid. I work remotely often and use Citrix Workspace to connect to my virtual work desktop and have not suffered any disconnects in a long time (since getting Orbi firmware 2.2.1.210 in fact).

With one of the PRIOR recent firmwares (do not recall which one) I was having sporadic disconnect issues, but those issues stopped competely after getting 2.2.1.210.

Message 230 of 251
Flash008
Luminary

I agree. I can report no problems at this time. Seems to be OK. But, don't you think it is sad that the new "measurment bar" for Orbi is "Does it work or did they break it again?".

A few more days until 2019 and so far not one single feature for Orbi Pro has delivered. Still no SSID vLAN support, etc, etc. Orbi Pro is "so far" proving to be a con job well played by Netgear proving one simple fact about humans. Put the same product in a new package. Add the word "Pro"  to it. Double the price, and they will buy it.

Well played Netgear, Well Played. Thank god I purchased the extended 3 year warranty. Warranties should now we called "OEM False Advertising Protection".

Happy New Year Everyone.

Message 231 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, when your v210 was applied, did you use the autoupdate feature and continue to use the system or manually load the FW and do a factory reset? 

@njweb wrote:

Update - I have been on this 2.2.1.210 firmware since October and my wifi connection has been rock solid. I work remotely often and use Citrix Workspace to connect to my virtual work desktop and have not suffered any disconnects in a long time (since getting Orbi firmware 2.2.1.210 in fact).

With one of the PRIOR recent firmwares (do not recall which one) I was having sporadic disconnect issues, but those issues stopped competely after getting 2.2.1.210.

Message 232 of 251
Flash008
Luminary

I used the built-in update. I have auto-update disabled and will keep that disabled FOREVER!

Furthermore, I am completely DONE with the Netgear's "doggy doodoo" of "wipe-update-wipe-reconfigure". If they can't push an update that does NOT involve a full reset (seems to be the Netgear response to all problems)...well...they need to rethink thier strategy.

Netgear Orbi Pro needs to be "PRO".

"Pro" needs to have business class features (vLAN, etc, etc)

"Business Class" needs to have abilty to handle a software update that does not disrupt "BUSINESS" and require a full factory reset to resolve.

Happy New Year!!!

Message 233 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

I think it's been NGs intent to have autoupate work and not have to factory reset and setup from scratch. Unfortinately, something in there FW development and update process seems to break at this point. Thus factory resets are needed in some cases to clear out prior configurations and FW settings. I've seen this on my system as well. AutoUpdate gets applied however items in the background start to not work right until I factory reset and setup from scratch. One thing I do is do a router config save to file, then if I do need a reset, I can reset then apply the saved config from file for quick setup. 

Orbi has a Pro version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Something to post about if your interested in the Pro version. 

Good Luck. 

@Flash008 wrote:

I used the built-in update. I have auto-update disabled and will keep that disabled FOREVER!

Furthermore, I am completely DONE with the Netgear's "doggy doodoo" of "wipe-update-wipe-reconfigure". If they can't push an update that does NOT involve a full reset (seems to be the Netgear response to all problems)...well...they need to rethink thier strategy.

Netgear Orbi Pro needs to be "PRO".

"Pro" needs to have business class features (vLAN, etc, etc)

"Business Class" needs to have abilty to handle a software update that does not disrupt "BUSINESS" and require a full factory reset to resolve.

Happy New Year!!!

Message 234 of 251
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@Flash008 wrote:

Happy New Year!!!

Flash - can you please detail how you disabled auto-update in such a way that it is actually 'sticking' and not auto-updating?  Myself, and several others, used the older telnet instructions and changed the three values etc, but it auto-updated anyway.  Do you have a new way of doing it that seems to stick?  Thanks! 

Message 235 of 251

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

Flash - can you please detail how you disabled auto-update in such a way that it is actually 'sticking' and not auto-updating?  Myself, and several others, used the older telnet instructions and changed the three values etc, but it auto-updated anyway.  Do you have a new way of doing it that seems to stick?  Thanks!

I'm not Flash...but there are FOUR settings that need to be adjusted:

• orbi_auto_upgrade
  • auto_check_for_upgrade
  • auto_update
  • orbi_auto_upg

The instructions that are usually referenced omit that last item.

Even then, I had a few issues with getting the settings to stick, since the system kept wanting to start an auto-check/auto-upgrade cycle before I could make the changes.  Waiting a day and trying again finally, knock wood, did the trick.

Message 236 of 251
usahale
Star

I see reboots on occasion (weekly at the least). Never any indication of why, which is disappointing after all of this time. (over 18 months)

Some 2.4Ghz-only devices still don't work. Never have seen a NG recommendation on what to do there either. I run an older Asus along with Orbi in order for Ring Battery Camera and my solar inverter (Fronius) to work and they work flawlessly with the Asus.

I'm kind of hoping for another firmware update that breaks fundamentals again so the Finance Committee will approve another expenditure from a different vendor.

This nightmare has:

1. Prevented me from purchasing Arlo cameras.

2. Prevented me from purchasing a NG NAS solution.

3. Prevented me from recommending Orbi. (period)

4. I even bought an off-brand NW switch just to be spiteful. 🙂

The amount of money, and my time, spent on this product just makes me shake my head.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 237 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the FW updated via auto update or did you manually load the FW update and set up from scratch? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Backhaul-Status-Poor-After-Firmware-Update-2-1-4-16/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

You might try this for some of your IoT devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-and-FEIT-2-4GHz-IoT-wi-fi-bulbs/m-p/1664260/highlight/fal...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Home-Wifi-amp-LA-Crosse-Weather-Station-Alarm-Clock-2-4GH...

@usahale wrote:

I see reboots on occasion (weekly at the least). Never any indication of why, which is disappointing after all of this time. (over 18 months)

Some 2.4Ghz-only devices still don't work. Never have seen a NG recommendation on what to do there either. I run an older Asus along with Orbi in order for Ring Battery Camera and my solar inverter (Fronius) to work and they work flawlessly with the Asus.

I'm kind of hoping for another firmware update that breaks fundamentals again so the Finance Committee will approve another expenditure from a different vendor.

This nightmare has:

1. Prevented me from purchasing Arlo cameras.

2. Prevented me from purchasing a NG NAS solution.

3. Prevented me from recommending Orbi. (period)

4. I even bought an off-brand NW switch just to be spiteful. 🙂

The amount of money, and my time, spent on this product just makes me shake my head.

Message 238 of 251
usahale
Star

Auto-Update, obviously.

Doesn't matter, been through 3 ISP vendors, same result.

3400 sq ft, 15 ft apart (1 floor).

Channel 1 & 48, Asus in barn on 11, no 5Ghz. No wifi neighbors (at least a quarter mile from any neighbor).

WPA2-PSK.

Trust me, no way I'm trying out Circle with Orbi's firmware record. 🙂

I've been through all of the 'offs' and 'ons' suggested previously. No difference except beam-forming on makes the restarts happen a couple of times daily.

I've lived in a heavy residential area, an apartment, and now a very, very rural area since getting Orbi. I honestly don't believe the location has anything to do with it's issues. All 3 environments have been unstable, except for that firmware they rushed out for the HomeKit issue. (2.1.4.16?) Of course auto-update ensured that was only a temporary reprieve. I will say I've always been in AP mode. Just looking for solid wifi, nothing more.

I'm not interested in starting from scratch, again. I'm not interested in continuation of being a test dummy for NG's firmware team. I'm only interested in being able to turn off auto-updates and choosing when I want my service interrupted or sticking to a firmware that works for my setup. And before you link to the Telnet options to turn it off, it doesn't work. Been there, done that.

Like I said, I'm hoping the finance committee gets tired of the issues and an alternative can be pursued.

Message 239 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@usahale wrote:

Auto-Update, obviously.

3400 sq ft, 15 ft apart (1 floor).

Channel 1 & 48, Asus in barn on 11, no 5Ghz. No wifi neighbors (at least a quarter mile from any neighbor).

WPA2-PSK.

I've been through all of the 'offs' and 'ons' suggested previously. No difference except beam-forming on makes the restarts happen a couple of times daily.

I've lived in a heavy residential area, an apartment, and now a very, very rural area since getting Orbi. I honestly don't believe the location has anything to do with it's issues. All 3 environments have been unstable, except for that firmware they rushed out for the HomeKit issue. (2.1.4.16?) Of course auto-update ensured that was only a temporary reprieve. I will say I've always been in AP mode. Just looking for solid wifi, nothing more.

I'm not interested in starting from scratch, again. I'm not interested in continuation of being a test dummy for NG's firmware team. I'm only interested in being able to turn off auto-updates and choosing when I want my service interrupted or sticking to a firmware that works for my setup. And before you link to the Telnet options to turn it off, it doesn't work. Been there, done that.

Like I said, I'm hoping the finance committee gets tired of the issues and an alternative can be pursued.

@usahale I'm sorry that you have all these issues, one question though, what type of wired devices do you have? Any wired speakers (e.g. Sonos)? I had too many and different issues that I then found out caused by my wired mesh speakers. My Orbi now works perfectly well after disconneting those speakers (I connected them wirelessly instead).

Message 240 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

@usahale wrote:

Auto-Update, obviously.

ISP Modem kind does matter. Reason for asking as modem configuration is important. THis can be a cause as well.

3400 sq ft, 15 ft apart (1 floor).This is too close. Distance between Orbi base and satellites starts at 30 feet minimum. Too close causes problems. 

WPA2-PSK.

Others are reporing good operation with resets and setting up from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Your-experience-with-Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK40-Download-Speed-Slows-Down-After-5-Days/m-p/1643475/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Not-Connecting-via-Ethernet/m-p/1556692/h...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-the-new-Roomba-i7-connectivity/m-p/1655054/highlight/...

Message 241 of 251
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Firmware 2.2.1.210 has not resolved the issue.

With previous firmware, I had reboots every 2 to 4 hours.  With 2.2.1.210 firmware, the behaviour was the same.  Multiple factory resets didn't have a measureable difference.  Netgear support was useless (support case 40456255) and just closed the ticket without resolving the issue.

My setup:

• Huawei HG659 ADSL modem
    • 192.168.0.1 LAN Address
    • uPnP disabled, DHCP disabled
    • DMZ set to 192.168.0.2
  • RBR50
    • 192.168.0.2 WAN Address, static IP
    • DNS configured as Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • 192.168.1.x LAN Address; DHCP enabled
    • uPnP disabled
  • Network
    • Two Kindles, one iPhone, one Android phone, one LG Smart TV
    • One weatherstation
    • Four Desktop PCs (two Windows, two Linux)

I did once get 41 days of uptime before the behaviour returned without any changes to the network setup, devices on the network, or usage patterns.  The RBR50 seems to be very sensitive to something on the network, but since the logs are stored in RAM and not to flash, it is impossible to determine what the cause is.  I offered to open the device and collect serial logs from the kernel to get some more clues, but support wanted me to "focus on the LEDs" and "try a different power source".  Since both the modem and router are connected to the same power source and the only time the modem has reset has been when I have reset it, implies that the issues is with the RBR50 itself.

Ideally, I would swap out the Huawei HG659 ADSL modem to see if that makes a difference, but that is forbidden by my internet provider.

I have given up on Netgear products at this point and will be returning the RBK50 setup as defective to the retailer this week.

-Eric

Message 242 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try AP mode with the Orbi? I would try this? Use the modem as your main host router and just disable Wifi on the modem. Set AP mode on the router...

Also Try a Manual FW load and reset and setup from scratch:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Firmware 2.2.1.210 has not resolved the issue.

With previous firmware, I had reboots every 2 to 4 hours.  With 2.2.1.210 firmware, the behaviour was the same.  Multiple factory resets didn't have a measureable difference.  Netgear support was useless (support case 40456255) and just closed the ticket without resolving the issue.

My setup:

• Huawei HG659 ADSL modem
    • 192.168.0.1 LAN Address
    • uPnP disabled, DHCP disabled
    • DMZ set to 192.168.0.2
  • RBR50
    • 192.168.0.2 WAN Address, static IP
    • DNS configured as Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • 192.168.1.x LAN Address; DHCP enabled
    • uPnP disabled
  • Network
    • Two Kindles, one iPhone, one Android phone, one LG Smart TV
    • One weatherstation
    • Four Desktop PCs (two Windows, two Linux)

I did once get 41 days of uptime before the behaviour returned without any changes to the network setup, devices on the network, or usage patterns.  The RBR50 seems to be very sensitive to something on the network, but since the logs are stored in RAM and not to flash, it is impossible to determine what the cause is.  I offered to open the device and collect serial logs from the kernel to get some more clues, but support wanted me to "focus on the LEDs" and "try a different power source".  Since both the modem and router are connected to the same power source and the only time the modem has reset has been when I have reset it, implies that the issues is with the RBR50 itself.

Ideally, I would swap out the Huawei HG659 ADSL modem to see if that makes a difference, but that is forbidden by my internet provider.

I have given up on Netgear products at this point and will be returning the RBK50 setup as defective to the retailer this week.

-Eric

Message 243 of 251
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi  FURRYe38,

Thanks for the reply.  I've answered your questions below.  I think the only thing that is different from your suggestions is that the 20/40 MHz Coexistence is enabled.  In my case, the wifi connectivity is fine as long as the router doesn't reboot, so most of these setting changes are moot.  Since Netgear doesn't provide support after 90 days, this router is going back as defective/not-fit-for-purpose to the reseller.  I don't buy networking gear to become a networking expert and constantly fiddling with settings and do factory resets every few weeks.

> Did you try AP mode with the Orbi?

Yes, I tried this with previous firmware -- same behaviour.

> Also Try a Manual FW load and reset and setup from scratch:

I've already done a factory reset and the firmware updates are fine.  I don't have any missing GUI options as other people have mentioned.

> What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is

> recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Distance is approximately 3 meters through a wood floor.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11

> on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

What does this have to do with the router rebooting?  As long as the router is running, the wireless connection is flawless.

> Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Closest neighbour is 800 meters away.

> What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

It is already set to WPA2-PSK [AES].

> MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz

> Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router

> and satellite(s).

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology is enabled.  Implicit BEAMFORMING is diabled; MU-MIMO is disabled; Enable Fast Roaming is disabled.

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is enabled which I think you are saying it should be disabled.

Message 244 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I've answered your questions below.  I think the only thing that is different from your suggestions is that the 20/40 MHz Coexistence is enabled.  In my case, the wifi connectivity is fine as long as the router doesn't reboot, so most of these setting changes are moot.  Since Netgear doesn't provide support after 90 days, this router is going back as defective/not-fit-for-purpose to the reseller.  I don't buy networking gear to become a networking expert and constantly fiddling with settings and do factory resets every few weeks.

I don't think your systme is defective. 

> Did you try AP mode with the Orbi?

Yes, I tried this with previous firmware -- same behaviour.

Was this tried with current FW? 

> Also Try a Manual FW load and reset and setup from scratch:

I've already done a factory reset and the firmware updates are fine.  I don't have any missing GUI options as other people have mentioned.

You should try a full manual RELoad of FW and factory reset and setup from scratch. This helped others in the operation of there systems. Not with missing GUI items. 

> What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is

> recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Distance is approximately 3 meters through a wood floor.

10 feet to TOO close to each other, the router alone can cover up to 30 feet to begin with. Your system was probably rebooting trying to get a clear channel and the router and satellite had too much signal over lap. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11

> on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

What does this have to do with the router rebooting?  As long as the router is running, the wireless connection is flawless.

Your system was probably rebooting trying to get a clear channel and the router and satellite had too much signal over lap. Auto can cause reboots as if the signal degrades, Auto will stop the router and it will reboot to see if I can find a better channel. Channels listed should have been tried.

> Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Closest neighbour is 800 meters away.

> What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

It is already set to WPA2-PSK [AES].

> MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz

> Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router

> and satellite(s).

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology is enabled.  Implicit BEAMFORMING is diabled; MU-MIMO is disabled; Enable Fast Roaming is disabled.

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is enabled which I think you are saying it should be disabled.

You can try either method. If you don't have many neigbors near by, then you can disable this. 

Message 245 of 251
georgengan
Star

I'm in the UK. My configuration: RBR50 + RBS50 + RBS40 with. No change in placement for 13 months. RBR50 is in the basement. The RBS50 is two floors above the router and the RBS40 is one floor above the router. Before the auto update of 2.2.1.210 (therefore I am not sure about the exact date of the FW update), the RBS50 is daisy chained to RBS40, and RBS40 is connected to RBR50. All wirelessly connected.

(1) Around/right after the auto FW update, there were increasing occurances of droping wifi signal (iMac wifi signal icon shows disconnection for a sec or two and then re-connected). I'm ok with it becuase I rarely stream.

(2) About two weeks ago, connection speed slowed down by half (from 55+ Mbps to 25+MBps), we have many imacs/ipads at home, and most of the connections change from 5G to 2.4G. I performed the normal power-down/power-up and resync. Most of the iMac still connect at 2.4G with reduced download speed. I can live with that.

(3) I havn't checked the Router page for a while and I check it today. Two strange things happened: the satellites are no longer daisy chained but all connected to the router; the backhaul status show poor connection. The imacs are still connected at 5G for those attached to the RBS50, but those devices connected to the RBS40 shows 2.4G. Download speed is only 25+ for those at 2.4G.

(4) I poweroff/on all three orbis, all backhaul status are still "poor" after one hour and the two satellites are still connected to the router (it takes sometime for the orbi to "sink-in" the config as far as I understand). I finally found this thread and change the 2.4g channel to 11. Now, the backhaul status of the RBS50 is still poor (naturally because it's tow floors above the router) while the RBS40 is showing "good". HOWEVER, when I run broadband speed test on all computers and devices, the speed are now back to 55+ Mbps.

The strangest thing is about daisy chain, it makes no sense for the RBS50 connecting to the router because it is definitely further away from the router than to the RBS40!

Just FYI.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 246 of 251
georgengan
Star

BTW, 

(1) I don't have any network analytics tool to check for channel jam/traffic from other wifi routers in the neighbourhood.

(2) I also changed the 5G channel randomly to 48 from 40.

Message 247 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a full reboot of the ISP Modem, Orbi router and satellites. 

What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@georgengan wrote:

I'm in the UK. My configuration: RBR50 + RBS50 + RBS40 with. No change in placement for 13 months. RBR50 is in the basement. The RBS50 is two floors above the router and the RBS40 is one floor above the router. Before the auto update of 2.2.1.210 (therefore I am not sure about the exact date of the FW update), the RBS50 is daisy chained to RBS40, and RBS40 is connected to RBR50. All wirelessly connected.

(1) Around/right after the auto FW update, there were increasing occurances of droping wifi signal (iMac wifi signal icon shows disconnection for a sec or two and then re-connected). I'm ok with it becuase I rarely stream.

(2) About two weeks ago, connection speed slowed down by half (from 55+ Mbps to 25+MBps), we have many imacs/ipads at home, and most of the connections change from 5G to 2.4G. I performed the normal power-down/power-up and resync. Most of the iMac still connect at 2.4G with reduced download speed. I can live with that.

(3) I havn't checked the Router page for a while and I check it today. Two strange things happened: the satellites are no longer daisy chained but all connected to the router; the backhaul status show poor connection. The imacs are still connected at 5G for those attached to the RBS50, but those devices connected to the RBS40 shows 2.4G. Download speed is only 25+ for those at 2.4G.

(4) I poweroff/on all three orbis, all backhaul status are still "poor" after one hour and the two satellites are still connected to the router (it takes sometime for the orbi to "sink-in" the config as far as I understand). I finally found this thread and change the 2.4g channel to 11. Now, the backhaul status of the RBS50 is still poor (naturally because it's tow floors above the router) while the RBS40 is showing "good". HOWEVER, when I run broadband speed test on all computers and devices, the speed are now back to 55+ Mbps.

The strangest thing is about daisy chain, it makes no sense for the RBS50 connecting to the router because it is definitely further away from the router than to the RBS40!

Just FYI.

Message 248 of 251
teddyp12
Initiate

Ever since the update initialized, my orbi router appears to be cycling every few seconds causing havoc on my security system and business computers using USB WIFI adapters. If have attached my event logs since the automatic update in hopes that someone can make a recommendation.

It was completely stable before the initialization.

[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:52:21
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:52:16
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.7, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:50:54
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:50:51
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:50:46
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 17:46:28
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:22:50
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:19:58
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:19:53
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:19:42
[admin login] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:19:36
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.16x.x.x, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:19:03
[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xx.xx.xxx, Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:18:45
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.2.1.210] Tuesday, January 29, 2019 16:18:44

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 249 of 251
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

UPnP is more for a home system, and even then it is a potential security issue. Personally I would never use UPnP in a business atmosphere. Actually I always check at updates to make sure it is disabled.

Devices on your system are constantly trying to open / close firewall ports and / or are sending requests to reconfigure themselves for whatever reason. Maybe gaming? But in general, not good. If you need specific connections use port forwarding so you can be selective and a lot more secure. More of a hassle but for the sake of security it is worth it.

Message 250 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7