Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

spewak
Luminary

Re: Your experience with Firmware 2.2.1.210 released as of 10/3/18

Ditto!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 101 of 251
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Over the life of my ownership, the RBW30s usually had different firmware versions (until the last update before this one). When I updated my system all my devices updated, with the 40s going to 2.2.1.210 and the 30s going to 2.2.1.204 from both at 2.1.4.16. This is perhaps because of the stripped down features on the RBW30s, like no ethernet ports (and so also wifif backhaul only) and perhaps indicating that some of the changes in the new 210 firmware had to do with wired system functions..

Message 102 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@Den_ wrote:
I have exactly the same problem. I've not had any issues at all (over 12 months) until the latest firmware update. Even though I use my router as an access point I now constantly lose internet connection and have to either power cycle the router and satalite, or turn off and on the WiFi on my phone/tablet/TV to get it working again.

Message 103 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@milk242 wrote:

I bought this thing when it first came out, preordered through crutchfield. I believe the model was called RBK50 that came with both satellite and router. Until this firmware, I've never had an issue and have always just let the thing auto update. This time, it caused a few hiccups, a bunch of my random devices all of a sudden got blocked by access control even though they were allowed before. Also why does the RBW30 not get the latest firmware?

Message 104 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Ditto what? 

@spewak wrote:

Ditto!

Message 105 of 251
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok sounds good. Let us know what you find out. Seems like something is happening here with these settings and Apple devices. I presume this mabye a issue in FW or possible both problem with NG FW and Apple iOS. Something both NG and Apple should look into. 

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Lowering Orbi's CTS/RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307 seems to have ended my iPad's daily dropping of WiFi.

Now the next part of the experiment will be to set it back to 2347 and see if the WiFi drops return...

Experiment complete. My iPad Air 2 drops Wi-Fi about once a day with Orbi’s CTS/RTS threshold set to the default 2347. It stays connected 100% when the threshold is reduced to 2307.

The drops seemed to occur only in my usual TV-watching spot, connected to a satellite.

For whatever this tidbit of data is worth.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 106 of 251
vice86
Aspirant

So after downgrading to .10 firmware I was happy again. A week later I've noticed a few wifi drops...just noticed another one right now and decided to look at my Orbi settings. Well would you look at that...it auto-updated again to the latest version. WTF???? Why is there no option to turn off this auto-updating garbage???

Message 107 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Seems that 40 points on the change seems to be the difference. Other users have said that the change suggestion has worked for them as well on there Apple devcies. Something in the wifi drivers in the FW or Apple devices is where this seems to be effecting this.

@ChristineT

@Christian_R

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok sounds good. Let us know what you find out. Seems like something is happening here with these settings and Apple devices. I presume this mabye a issue in FW or possible both problem with NG FW and Apple iOS. Something both NG and Apple should look into. 

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try try this? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Lowering Orbi's CTS/RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307 seems to have ended my iPad's daily dropping of WiFi.

Now the next part of the experiment will be to set it back to 2347 and see if the WiFi drops return...

Experiment complete. My iPad Air 2 drops Wi-Fi about once a day with Orbi’s CTS/RTS threshold set to the default 2347. It stays connected 100% when the threshold is reduced to 2307.

The drops seemed to occur only in my usual TV-watching spot, connected to a satellite.

For whatever this tidbit of data is worth.

Message 108 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this for v210:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@vice86 wrote:

So after downgrading to .10 firmware I was happy again. A week later I've noticed a few wifi drops...just noticed another one right now and decided to look at my Orbi settings. Well would you look at that...it auto-updated again to the latest version. WTF???? Why is there no option to turn off this auto-updating garbage???

Message 109 of 251
chappietx
Aspirant

Do not upgrade to this version if possible! Router WiFi still works but neither of the two satellites can stay connected for long. Netgear support responded recently that this firmware IS having connectivity issues and they are working on a fix. Pretty poor for flagship product.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 110 of 251
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@chappietx wrote:

Do not upgrade to this version if possible! Router WiFi still works but neither of the two satellites can stay connected for long. Netgear support responded recently that this firmware IS having connectivity issues and they are working on a fix. Pretty poor for flagship product.

This is an example of why you should try NOT to get too excited when your network crashes or disconnects.  Short of a complete dead in the water system, your best bet is to leave it alone (re-boot as necessary) until the next FW update.  We've been through auto-updates turned off and that didn't work.  We receive wonderful suggestions about numerous rabbitt chasing ideas, i.e. what modem are you running, model #, FW version, etc, etc, etc.   At the end of the day it all comes back to there is NO perfect soultion.  There is NO one size fits all.  With the number of ways I've seen/heard of people running a network and the number/types of devices connected, I'm not sure NG will ever get it figured out. Don't look for salvation else where for most of the other router makers operate the same way.  Stay tuned and relax.

Message 111 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Try a Manual FW load and try again:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@chappietx wrote:

Message 112 of 251
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Smiley Surprised

??????

Message 113 of 251
Abke
Aspirant

i bought the system and had to upgrade the firmware. Now i cant connect the satellite there is no responce at all. I had contact with support by phone and they said there was something wrong whit the new firmware. The backhaull is not functioning, the advice was to wait for the new firmware. There is still no new firmware. Is there another sollution to solf the problem?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 114 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@Abke wrote:

i bought the system and had to upgrade the firmware. Now i cant connect the satellite there is no responce at all. I had contact with support by phone and they said there was something wrong whit the new firmware. The backhaull is not functioning, the advice was to wait for the new firmware. There is still no new firmware. Is there another sollution to solf the problem?

@Abke Please check your wired devices. What devices do you have connected to the LAN ports? It seems that this firmware has issues to handle certain wired devices.

Message 115 of 251
Abke
Aspirant

@ekhalil I have connected a timecapsule (in bridgemodus as back-up) an AirPort express and a Sonos bridge with LAN.

Message 116 of 251
Abke
Aspirant

@ekhalil The sonosbridge is connected by the timecapsule, the Apple TV is connected by LAN to the orbi

Message 117 of 251
ekhalil
Master

@Abke wrote:

@ekhalil The sonosbridge is connected by the timecapsule, the Apple TV is connected by LAN to the orbi

@Abke I would suggest you to test to disconnect the Sonos Bridge, restart Orbi and see if you will get improvements.

I also had many different issues when I had my Audio Mesh system wired to Orbi's LAN ports. Almost all issues were gone when I connected my speakers wirelessly instead.

Message 118 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

@Abke wrote:

Message 119 of 251
njweb
Luminary

So far so good with the new firmware!

I did not realize the new firmware was out till today, but I had noticed that my connection has been rock solid lately:

My wifi connection was very good before but I did experience occasional disconnects when connecting remotely to my virtual machine for work via Citrix, no pattern to the disconnects. 

Lately, probably since the new firmware came out, those disconnects have stopped completely.

Does anyone have any more specific details on the following from the release notes?

• Stability & performance related bug fixes 
Message 120 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Just beaware of this for this version of FW:

@njweb wrote:

So far so good with the new firmware!

I did not realize the new firmware was out till today, but I had noticed that my connection has been rock solid lately:

My wifi connection was very good before but I did experience occasional disconnects when connecting remotely to my virtual machine for work via Citrix, no pattern to the disconnects. 

Lately, probably since the new firmware came out, those disconnects have stopped completely.

Does anyone have any more specific details on the following from the release notes?

• Stability & performance related bug fixes 

Message 121 of 251
nanohead
Guide

Extremely frustrating behavior from the system after it auto updated.   I never have these problems with Ubuquiti (have other problems, but at least its reliable)

The satellite drops out here and there.  Lights randomly turn orange, then back to blue, which does NOT agree with what the Backhaul status says, which is generally listed as Poor.   I don't understand why it says its poor if the lights are blue etc.  Its either one thing or another.

Sometimes, when it says poor, I get terrific throughput, other times, when the lights are blue, I get terrible throughput at the satellite.  I get that there's some kind of latency between the satellite lights and the GUI display for backhaul status, but it would be nice to be able to rely on diagnostics and system status info so I can fix stuff

This thing is simply confused.  I specifically tried the Orbi because of the wireless dedicated backhaul, so I didn't have to pull backbone wires for a Ubiquiti (or other brand) distributed AP mesh Wifi network, but the hassle isn't worth it most of the time.   Used to being tech support for the family, but this thing is simply too needy most days

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 122 of 251
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@nanohead wrote:

Extremely frustrating behavior from the system after it auto updated.   I never have these problems with Ubuquiti (have other problems, but at least its reliable)

The satellite drops out here and there.  Lights randomly turn orange, then back to blue, which does NOT agree with what the Backhaul status says, which is generally listed as Poor.   I don't understand why it says its poor if the lights are blue etc.  Its either one thing or another.

Sometimes, when it says poor, I get terrific throughput, other times, when the lights are blue, I get terrible throughput at the satellite.  I get that there's some kind of latency between the satellite lights and the GUI display for backhaul status, but it would be nice to be able to rely on diagnostics and system status info so I can fix stuff

This thing is simply confused.  I specifically tried the Orbi because of the wireless dedicated backhaul, so I didn't have to pull backbone wires for a Ubiquiti (or other brand) distributed AP mesh Wifi network, but the hassle isn't worth it most of the time.   Used to being tech support for the family, but this thing is simply too needy most days

Message 123 of 251
nanohead
Guide

Thanks for the response, but those suggestions aren't useful unfortunately.  The modem has zero to do with the satellite having mood swings,  and it worked fine for years before I put in the schizo Orbi.  The house is fairly small, and the satellite is maybe 20 feet away a couple of floors up, with very little in the way.   Even the cheap router I used to use made had plenty of signal throughout the house, so distance is not an issue.

The problem is the satellite, which is why I bought the thing in the first place.  The core router part of the Orbi works fine most of the time, its the backhaul/satellite that is completely inconsistent.    And that dopey Daisy Chaining thing was no help either. Enabled and disabled it several times and tested and it still did the same thing.

Message 124 of 251

I can now report with 100% certainty that disabling/enabling "Daisy Chaining" does absolutely nothing. (Not surprising really, I've got a router with a single satellite, that feature is irrelevant. "This feature only applies if you have three or more Orbi.") That suggestion seemed like voodoo to me, and it is.

When I started having problems with .210, I came here to see if it was just me, and clearly it isn't. After I enabled Daisy Chaining, things were good for about a week, and it's gone to hell again. Here are my overnight stats, when nothing's using the WiFi:

2018-10-28 00:22:21 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3603 packets=3558 lost=1172 loss=32.9% losses=239 downtime=1223s
2018-10-28 01:22:39 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3618 packets=3536 lost=2103 loss=59.5% losses=170 downtime=2191s
2018-10-28 02:22:40 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3534 lost=1615 loss=45.7% losses=64 downtime=1687s
2018-10-28 03:27:48 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3908 packets=3830 lost=1834 loss=47.9% losses=30 downtime=1914s
2018-10-28 04:27:48 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3546 lost=1433 loss=40.4% losses=242 downtime=1492s
2018-10-28 05:27:49 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3600 packets=3527 lost=1839 loss=52.1% losses=171 downtime=1932s
2018-10-28 06:27:51 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3601 packets=3555 lost=1145 loss=32.2% losses=240 downtime=1200s
2018-10-28 07:31:52 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=3841 packets=3751 lost=2282 loss=60.8% losses=170 downtime=2379s
2018-10-28 09:02:38 orbi-sat hourly stats: duration=5445 packets=5265 lost=4575 loss=86.9% losses=64 downtime=4759s

I'm tempted to just reboot the router and see if that gives me another week of peace.

Gonna lower RTS/CTS first.

Message 125 of 251
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7