Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

access printer on downstream router

Rharmon
Aspirant

access printer on downstream router

Cable Modem

to

AC1750 R6700 Router, current firmware, wifi turned off

to

Orbi RBR50 AC3000 Router

Computer connected to R6700 router cannot see an HP8600 wifi printer connected to Orbi Router.  Can anyone tell me how to allow the computer on R6700 network to "see" the printer on Orbi network?

R6700 is 192.168.1.1, computer is 192.168.1.5

Orbi is 192.168.1.20 on above network and 10.0.0.1 on its own network

HP8600 printer is 10.0.0.5 on Orbi network

Any help you can offer is appreciated!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: access printer on downstream router

Your ORBI is acting as a router, so ALL devices on its internal network (10.0.x.x) are hidden from "outside", just as everything behind your R6700 is hidden from the Internet.  The ORBI is doing Network Address Translation (NAT), al ALL of the devices behind your ORBI appear to have the same IP address (192.168.1.20).  Others may have more elegant solutions, but I think the simplest thing to do is keep your R6700 acting as a router and assigning DHCP addresses in the 192.168.x.x address space, put the ORBI into Access Point (AP) mode, and let all of its devices get DHCP addresses from the R6700.  (The 10.0.x.x network goes away.)  I would keep the ORBI's 192.168.1.20 address in the R6700 reservation table.  (Actually, I assign specific IP addresses to all of my "fixed" devices, like my desktops, printers, IP cameras, thermostat, etc.  I give them "names" in the table so that when I look at attached devices there is a more user friendly description.

This way, everything on your network has a 192.168.x.x IP address.  All devices can see everything else.

As a side-effect, many people on this forum believe that the ORBI functions better as an AP than as a router.

Hope this helps.  (If I am incorrect, someone will point out my errors.)

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router. 

Message 3 of 5
Rharmon
Aspirant

I installed the second router to use for the myriad of wifi devices we have these days, and to isolate them from the R6700 network with my computers and an M-cell cellular booster.  I was constantly having short wifi/internet outages that I attributed to the wifi traffic.  Putting the Orbi in AP mode just put all the traffic right back on the R6700.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to  configure a path through the firewall on the Orbi.  

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm guessing that the HP8600 is not able to connect to the R6700?  If it will, then your desktop will "see" it, and the devices behind the ORBI can also reach it.

If it cannot, then my guess is we're talking a "static route" on the R6700 that says 10.0.x.x addresses are found at 192.168.1.20.  May also have to open ports on the ORBI to allow traffic in from the 192.168.1.x network.  (Have no idea what ports the HP printer needs.)

Have exceeded my competence level (by far).  Good Luck!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7