Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: accessing 2.4ghz channel on orbi RB50

jhumphrey9
Aspirant

accessing 2.4ghz channel on orbi RB50

I purchased the etekcity smart plugs and the set up via their app can only be done on 2.4ghz. They can then run on 5ghz however I need to know how to connect to the 2.4ghz channel only for the set up. I am using an iphone 7 for the app and then will eventually link them to google home. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
sunildax
Star

I used an old wifi router as a repeater (which has only N capability) to set up my Smart Wifi plugs (Smart Life). Thereafter removed the old router and everything works fine.

Pertinent to mention that I control the Smart Wifi Plugs using Alexa (Echo Plus) and Google Home (Mini and Max).

To answer your Q. You can disable 5 Mhz on Orbi but I did not go that way.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
jhumphrey9
Aspirant

How do you disable the 5ghz? 

I went under advance settings, unclicked "enable SSID broadcast" and unclicked "enable WWM" but it didnt seem to work. 

Message 3 of 4
Roamabout
Luminary

The ability to seperate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi is not exposed by any of the GUI management interfaces. You have to enable telnet via the debug interface and then use a telnet client to log in to the Orbi and make the change via the command line interface.

What we old people would call using a knife and fork.

Once you have done that the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi will be on seperate SSID's and you can force a device to connect to one or the other.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7