Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: add Orbi Satellite to an existing system with one Orbi Router (RBR50) and one Orbi Satellite

ronfriedman
Aspirant

add Orbi Satellite to an existing system with one Orbi Router (RBR50) and one Orbi Satellite

I have an existing Orbi AC3000 tri-band wifi router which I purchased ~4 years ago with 1Orbi Router (RBR50) and 1 Orbi Satellite (RBS50).  I am running the Orbi Router with a cable modem leased from Xfinity.   I would like to increase coverage in the home and want to am thinking of adding an additional satellite but dont want to have any hassles or reconfiguring the existing system by adding this additional satellite.   Questions:  (1) what is the best model of Orbi satellite to add--another RBS50?  (2) I have seen an outdoor Orbi satellite at Costco (Orbi RBS 50Y) that can be added on to an existing Orbi system--would this work for me with ease of adding without any additional configuring?   (3) I have also seen a small plug in Orbi range extender.  Would that work for me and work with same speeds as the other units?  Many thanks for any advice

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: add Orbi Satellite to an existing system with one Orbi Router (RBR50) and one Orbi Satellite

Yes. 

Yes. 

Yes. 

Message 2 of 5
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

I have the very same system and question as you!  My issue right now is that I cannot find a Model: RBS50 for the satellite (it seems this is now discontinued).  I don't want to pay for the outdoor satellite since they are about $330, and I cannot find the plug in model anywhere.  It seems Netgear has moved past my system, although I only bought it in Feb. 2019 . . .

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@WSR wrote:

I have the very same system and question as you!  My issue right now is that I cannot find a Model: RBS50 for the satellite (it seems this is now discontinued).  I don't want to pay for the outdoor satellite since they are about $330, and I cannot find the plug in model anywhere.  It seems Netgear has moved past my system, although I only bought it in Feb. 2019 . . .

I agree.  Orbi has been out since 2016 and "new stuff" seems to the focus.

There seem to be several RBS20 and RBW30's for offer on eBay.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Possilbe that due to current events, inventory and stock are effected as well. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7