Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: add satellite , reposition, or upgrade desktop

thecos77
Aspirant

add satellite , reposition, or upgrade desktop

My ORBI has great WiFi signal throughout my 2 story home, including the second floor, on all of my devices except an older desktop HP located on the 2nd floor. As I write this, download speed on my desktop is 39 Mbps, while on my apple phone, it is about 400 Mbps.  I would like to improve WiFi speed on my desktop.  I could add an additional satellite, move the current satellite, or upgrade my computer which is maybe 6 years old running windows 10.  I cant figure out how to determine what version of WiFi this desktop is running.  What would be the best way to proceed?  thanks

thecos77

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the Mfr and model# of the wifi adapter in the desktop PC?

You should see status of the wifi connection under the networking settings in windows. 

Can the PC be wire LAN connected to the system? 

@thecos77 wrote:

My ORBI has great WiFi signal throughout my 2 story home, including the second floor, on all of my devices except an older desktop HP located on the 2nd floor. As I write this, download speed on my desktop is 39 Mbps, while on my apple phone, it is about 400 Mbps.  I would like to improve WiFi speed on my desktop.  I could add an additional satellite, move the current satellite, or upgrade my computer which is maybe 6 years old running windows 10.  I cant figure out how to determine what version of WiFi this desktop is running.  What would be the best way to proceed?  thanks

thecos77

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@thecos77 wrote:

thecos77

Sounds like you're talking about the wifi adapter in the pc...??   If so, you should see it in the control panel area.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@thecos77 wrote:

.... except an older desktop HP located on the 2nd floor. As I write this, download speed on my desktop is 39 Mbps,

"Older" means different things to different people.  (My elderly neighbor has a 15 year old Windows XP machine, whereas I think my five year old computer is ancient!)  Depending on the age, it is possible that the HP has an ancient 2.4G WiFi card.  If you can't find the computer specs, please supply the model number and we can help look for them.

"Wired" is clearly the best-performing solution, but is not always practical.  Installing a new WiFi adapter might help.  There are 2.4G/5G USB adapters that do not cost much.

Message 4 of 10
thecos77
Aspirant

Firmware   V2.3.5.26

Arris SurfBoard Model SB6190

Sq Footage 2400

Broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter

Router to Satellite Distance, about 30 feet ,signal passes thru one wall

NOT able to run cable to this computer

Thanks, thecos77

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a model# of this adapter? 

Is the wifi drivers for this adapter up to date? 
How old is the PC? 

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm embarassed that I did not read the original post carefully.  A six year old computer does qualify as "not new", but is not ancient.  801.11n should be capable of more than 39mb.  If the iPhone achieves 400mb close to the computer, that would indicate that the 5G signal is good and that a 5G USB WiFi adapter might be a quick way to solve the problem inexpensively.  Amazon has them for under $25.  (Just personally, I would go with a "Brand Name" like TP-Link.)

802.11 can be compromised when there is a device somewhere on the network that is only capable of 802.11b.  That forces the entire network to drop to 802.11b speed.  A thermostat would not suffer.  A computer certainly would.

Message 7 of 10
thecos77
Aspirant

thanks for the tip, I will upgrade the wifi adapter, and post results

thecos77

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@thecos77 wrote:

thanks for the tip, I will upgrade the wifi adapter, and post results

thecos77

Also....keep in .....most wifi adapters have drivers which are upgradeable through windows.  May want to check that first.

Message 9 of 10
thecos77
Aspirant

Problem solved !  I added a USB WiFi adapter (TechKey), download speeds now vary from 150 to occasionally over 300 Mbps.  Thanks to all who commented on ways to solve this problem.

thecos77

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7