Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: adding outside

spatengal
Aspirant

adding outside

Good Morning

I have an Orbi RBK 53S. I would like to add an outside satellite. I think the AC 3000 is the correct one. My question is what is the range? Does it need power? If I have a house with a cabin down the hill about 200 ft where would I install the unit? It is not cheap so need to make sure it will work for my application

Thanks for the help

Stay well

Pam

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

200ft would be to far. 

Users have posted that they have had there RBSs setup at about 60-80 feet at most and thats in line of sight mostly with out any build materials in the way. 

Can you get a buried LAN cable put down to the remote location? If you can, then you could install a RBS there if there is a building there.

NG has a RBSY model outdoor satellite however it won't reach 200 feet. It's meant for mostly near by the main home building at around 30 feet or a bit more from the RBR. 

Message 2 of 8
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

The WiFi signal will not travel 200 feet between the router and satellite. To span 200 feet to another building, I suggest adding a Wifi Outdoor Bridge (check Amazon or other retailers).  You will need a clear line-of-sight for the two units of a wireless bridge to work. Else, run a buried CAT6 cable the span between your buildings.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@spatengal wrote:

I have a house with a cabin down the hill about 200 ft where would I install the unit? It is not cheap so

This situation is not compatible with any of the typical "mesh WiFi" systems, including Netgear's Orbi.  The RBS50Y "outdoor" Orbi is intended to be placed outside the main building to provide coverage for outdoor areas and tolerate outdoor environment.  It does require a power outlet.

When it is too difficult or costly to install an ethernet cable, most people find that a point to point wireless bridge is the appropriate solution.  It acts as a sort of "invisible ethernet cable", where devices on each end cannot tell the difference.  To them, an ethernet cable plugs in, so it must be ethernet.  One such product that has been mentioned several times is the Ubiquity Nano Station. (Search Amazon for "wireless bridge" and it will return more brands than you have ever heard of at all possible price points.  Just personally, I would stick with a "major brand".  I do not believe that Netgear has a product for this specific need.)

As an introduction, I suggest looking at the comments (reviews) on this Ubiquity product:

https://www.amazon.com/NanoStation-NS-5ACL-US-802-11ac-Wireless-POE-24-7W-G/dp/B07K351LGD/ref=sr_1_6... This may not be the "product for you", but the comments may give you an idea what people are doing.

The concept is to install a link from one location to another.  Connect one end to the Orbi and connect any brand of WiFi access point to the other end. (Even an Orbi satellite.)  What I found fascinating is that several of the reviewers talked about installing the Nanostation inside and simply "beaming through" the walls on both ends.  If something can connect over 15km, a few walls are not going to make a difference when the link is less than 500ft.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Correction:  I had stated that Netgear does not have a wireless bridge product -WRONG.

Here is it: https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/wireless-airbridge/wbc502.aspx 

At $240 for a pair, it is considerably more costly than other bridge products, and there was a post today remarking on how in addition to the product, the user had to purchase activation codes.

Anyway, I am allowed five mistakes every single day, and this was one of them.  Sorry.

Message 5 of 8
spatengal
Aspirant

Thank you for your. Slow to thank you. Hard to get the internet! I think I will order the Ubiquiti nanostation that you recommended. Hope I can figure out how to install. This getting old and technically in the last century makes it difficult to read and understand the directions!

Thanks for all the help

Pam

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There are some really nice YouTube videos showing unboxing and setting up the Nanostation.  I think probably the hardest part is "aiming" them.  They are designed to connect 10-15km away, so the "beam angle" is pretty narrow.  If they are not pointing directly at one another, they won't link.  I think the concept is to get them "pretty close" by eyeball and then use an app to "fine tune" them.  (One of the older models had a row of LED's that would show the signal strength.)

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 8
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

WBC502 pair at $240 comes with 1 year of Premium Insight subscription for the two devices.

If you do not want Insight, you can buy 2 single WBC502.  We have got some very good end customer feedbacks on WBC502 so far.

It is a great alternative for nanostation.

With Insight, you can manage WBC502 and OrbiPro* in one management plane

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7