Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

airport express connection with orbi

cox8
Tutor

airport express connection with orbi

Setup orbi network twice. From factory reset.  Airplay will join the network using airport utility software. when I try to airplay sound from any device on the network it will not connect.  I have moved my satellite. For some reason, the airports are connecting to the satellite on 5ghz network. I have MU-MIMO off right now. To test it again and have a support ticket open. I also picked up a eero and airports and airplay work fine. Also, works fine with airport extreme.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
cox8
Tutor

Re: airport express connection with orbi

I discovered if you  disable Daisy-Chain Topology leave fast roaming on, MU-MIMO, Implicit BEAMFORMING enabled airplay does work with with airport express and airplay. It also worked with fast romaing off too. My speed stayed up past 230 Mbps too. Support was no help at all. I was told I had to put the xpress in client mode using a LAN cable. That is not an option. I will reply back if I have any issues. 

Message 2 of 5
cox8
Tutor

Airplay sound was still cutting out about every 20 minutes. So I  took tier 2's  supports suggestion and moved the router and modem to my living room. Hooked everything  up the way they suggested and airplay connection was worse. I called Tier 2 support back and we tried a few tweaks and they ask for my logs files since they could not isolate the issue.  Orbi was returned to the store and hooked up my airport extreme and everything is working again.  goodbye netgear. 

Message 3 of 5
helmoot
Initiate

I have had similar issues and working with support as well to no solution.  My Orbi is in AP mode and AirPlay device is in client mode on the WiFi.  The issue appears to be the AirPlay receiving device.  I moved my AirPlay receving device to an old WiFi AP hooked to the same LAN and AirPlay worked again.  Matter of fact, I can connect the AirPlay sending device to the Orbi and the receiving is on the old WiFi and it works perfectly.  It is only when both are connected to the Orbi that it does not work.  Shame.

Support says there is a fix coming in a future firmware update but no timeline.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following:

Beamforming, MIMO and Fast Roaming if you have these options and test. 

@helmootwrote:

I have had similar issues and working with support as well to no solution.  My Orbi is in AP mode and AirPlay device is in client mode on the WiFi.  The issue appears to be the AirPlay receiving device.  I moved my AirPlay receving device to an old WiFi AP hooked to the same LAN and AirPlay worked again.  Matter of fact, I can connect the AirPlay sending device to the Orbi and the receiving is on the old WiFi and it works perfectly.  It is only when both are connected to the Orbi that it does not work.  Shame.

Support says there is a fix coming in a future firmware update but no timeline.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7