Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

allowing ports on orbit router

trcy923
Aspirant

allowing ports on orbit router

How can I open ports to allow roomba to connect to wifi?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: allowing ports on orbit router

What model Orbi do you have? 

Ports shouldn't be opened for the Roomba to connect. Is the Roomba a 2.4Ghz only devices or a dual band device? 
Does the Roomba see the wifi SSID name at all? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 9
trcy923
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40

Only runs on 2.4

internet access is metronet

Called Roomba mutiple times and was told firewall is preventing and that certain ports need to be open. Netgear is out of customer support and they want $168 to open ports

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So the Roomba connects however does not get any Roomba services thru the orbi? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 9
trcy923
Aspirant

I can see the roomba on my phone but does not connect to the vacuum. I believe the modem is technicolor model VEN501-NA

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? It's a modem with built in router and wifi I believe. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You can try this to see if your phone and Roomba app connects to the Roomba

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

Message 6 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

I use a Roomba 960 without opening any ports or doing anything different to the Orbi settings.  In fact, I use the Guest network for my "internet of things" devices like Roomba and Ring devices.

Message 7 of 9
trcy923
Aspirant

Thank you! I have a new Roomba i3, spoke to Roomba they said I could have same connection problems with any Roomba, perhaps a firewall blocking the ports?? Unfortunately it's over my head Orbi is out of customer service and will charge $168 to go in and open ports...... I paid enough for Roomba and don't want to pay to actually use. Internet service suggests static IP but charge for that as well. I use guest 2.4 for many other wifi products in my home and don't understand why Roomba is so different

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? It's a modem with built in router and wifi I believe.

Try connecting your Roomba to the ISP Modem, wifi and router there. Turn OFF the Orbi system to see if the Roomba will connect there. If so, then you need to configure the modem or router as suggested in the options given. 

@trcy923 wrote:

Thank you! I have a new Roomba i3, spoke to Roomba they said I could have same connection problems with any Roomba, perhaps a firewall blocking the ports?? Unfortunately it's over my head Orbi is out of customer service and will charge $168 to go in and open ports...... I paid enough for Roomba and don't want to pay to actually use. Internet service suggests static IP but charge for that as well. I use guest 2.4 for many other wifi products in my home and don't understand why Roomba is so different

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7