Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: auto update rbr50 never gets beyond checking

CR-sound
Aspirant

auto update rbr50 never gets beyond checking

Purchased and installed rbr50 with two satellites yesterday.  Went to firmware update, unit found 1.4.0.16 available for the router.  Checking for satellites never completed, never got beyond, "Please wait a moment..." Left it running all night, no change AM. Won't apparently upgrade the router until the satellites finish their checking.

I will do the manual update this AM via an ethernet connection, but would like to know if this is a known bug that has been fixed in subsequent firmware upgrades.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

the cable modem may also be a router and could be blocking the update

with regard to the updates 

see

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

rbs50 is for the sat / s 

rbr50 is for the router 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
cyberprashant
Luminary

Satellite updates fail on chrome I found try internet explorer or another browser
Message 2 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

Interesting...I was using Edge (Windows 10 browser)...think I have I.E. available on that machine.  Will check.

Message 3 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

So, I had the check going on Internet Explorer for about 3 hours...again sees the base unit upgrade, not the satellites.  Not sure why the browser would matter if it's just signaling the router to go look and report back.  Thoughts?

In any case, if I don't see the upgrade for the satellites and do the upgrade for the base router, will that screw up communication between the satellites and the base?  Will the base upgrade go down to the satellites?

Appreciate the help!

Message 4 of 9

forget auto update and download the sat firmware and the router fw 

make sure you manually update the sat first and then the router 

you may have a dual nat issue of upstream firewall setting blocking the auto update 

Message 5 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

I only see one firmware package on the download page (1.4.0.16). This is listed as the router package.  Is this the package for the satellites as well?

In terms of firewall, I haven't tweaked the rbr50 settings and there is nothing between it and the cable modem.  If there is something I can check out that might help enable auto update, please let me know.

Greatly appreciate the help!

Message 6 of 9

the cable modem may also be a router and could be blocking the update

with regard to the updates 

see

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

rbs50 is for the sat / s 

rbr50 is for the router 

Message 7 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

Got it, Thanks!

Got a Comcast/Xfinity cable modem (TV/Phone/Net).  Called them right away and told them to turn off the wifi and router functions.  The wi-fi light on that unit is off and no SSID for it shows up, but maybe they didn't turn everything off...they are a little difficult to deal with and their equipment management seems designed to cut out the end user.  I'll do some more digging there...

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

A couple followup items of interest:

The router (rbr50) did auto-update over night.

As of this AM, the satellites (rbs50) did not. Having found the rbs50 firmware updates, I downloaded them to an ethernet connected machine and checked the two boxes for the satellites (got the package at Costco that included two satellites).  I assumed that checking the boxes and identifying the appropriate file would update both.

Nope, 1st one on the list updated, 2nd needed to be prompted again.

So, all good now, but interesting that the router did auto-update, but the satellites, no.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7