Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: best mesh system for wired home?

giapanyo
Initiate

best mesh system for wired home?

Hello

I have wires running throughout my 3-story house (150m2), with A LOT of dead spots, and a 500mbps broadband which I may upgrade at some point in the future. Which mesh system would you recommend without breaking the bank? As I can use a Ethernet cable for backhaul, I don't necessarily need a tri-band: I would rather prioritise wifi speed performance. 

Many thanks

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, those of us who participate in Netgear community forums know a lot about the specific Netgear systems we have purchased (Orbi, Nighthawk, etc.) and "not so much" about other brands which also have multiple product lines.  When I (eventually) own devices which can operate on WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E, I will spend a lot of time reading product reviews and user forums.

It seems to me that many user complaints take the form of, "Well, I certainly didn't know this stupid product won't .... (let me set QoS, run in VPN client mode, allow SSH access to the router, support USB hard drives, have multiple SSID's, provide tech support past 90 days, support VLAN's, etc.)"

The way to avoid this is to do more research up front.

If you will have no need for WiFi 6, the most "cost-effective" deal on a Netgear AC system is an RBR50 router and a bunch of RBS40V satellites (at $100 each).  This will provide lots of WiFi coverage, ethernet backhaul, and spare ethernet ports at each location for things like TV's, desktops, etc.  Of course, beware of the many complaints users have raised about the Orbi platform.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Find-Your-Orbi-With-the-NEW-Orbi-Product-Selector/m-p/1907267/...

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx

@giapanyo wrote:

Hello

I have wires running throughout my 3-story house (150m2), with A LOT of dead spots, and a 500mbps broadband which I may upgrade at some point in the future. Which mesh system would you recommend without breaking the bank? As I can use a Ethernet cable for backhaul, I don't necessarily need a tri-band: I would rather prioritise wifi speed performance. 

Many thanks

Message 3 of 4
vajim
Master

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements